SIG SG 516
The SG 516 Tactical Patrol 14.5″
|Place of origin||Switzerland
|Designer||Robert Hirt, Christopher Sirois|
|Manufacturer||Swiss Arms AG|
|Weight||516 PDW: 6.5 lb (2.95 kg)
516 CQB: 6.9 lb (3.13 kg)
516 Tactical Patrol: 7.09 lb (3.22 kg)
516 Patrol: 7.6 lb (3.45 kg)
516 Precision: 7.7 lb (3.5 kg)
516 Russian: 7.6 lb (3.4 kg)
516 Patrol FDE: 7.6 lb (3.4 kg)
516 OD Green: 7.6 lb (3.4 kg)
|Length||516 Patrol (stock extended): 36.7 in (932.2 mm)
516 Patrol (stock collapsed): 33.0 in (838.2 mm)
516 Precision: 39.5 in (1,003.3 mm)
516 Patrol FDE (stock extended): 36.7 in (932.2 mm)
516 Patrol FDE (stock collapsed): 33.0 in (838.2 mm)
516 OD Green (stock extended): 36.7 in (932.2 mm)
516 OD Green (stock collapsed): 33.0 in (838.2 mm)
|Barrel length||516 PDW: 7.5 in (190.5 mm)
516 CQB: 10 in (254.0 mm)
516 Tactical Patrol: 14.5 in (368.3 mm)
516 Patrol: 16 in (406.4 mm)
516 Precision: 18 in (457.2 mm)
516 Patrol FDE: 16 in (406.4 mm)
516 OD Green: 16 in (406.4 mm)
516 Russian: 16 in (406.4 mm)
|Cartridge||5.56×45mm NATO (.223 Rem), 7.62×39mm|
|Action||Short-stroke Pushrod Gas System, rotating bolt|
|Feed system||10, 20, 30-round detachable magazine|
The SG 516 is a semi-automatic firearm multi caliber rifle, intended for civilian and law enforcement markets. The same family also includes selective-fired "assault rifles", strictly intended for law enforcement and military use. It fires from a closed bolt, and has a short-stroke push rod piston system. The gas piston pushes the bolt carrier rearward, where it is returned to the forward and locked position by a spring. This process loads the next cartridge. The 516 has a four position gas regulator, allowing the user to choose the amount of gas directed to the piston. This is used to maintain reliability in all environmental and adverse conditions, or with suppressors and 40mm applications.
Ergonomically, the SIG516 is patterned after the AR-15 type rifle. It has a safety lever on the left side, to be used by the thumb of the shooting hand. The gas block integrates an adjustable gas regulator. The front gas block is railed to accept the front sight with a flip-up sight post. SG 516 models are equipped with an M16A2 style bird-cage flash hider.
The 5.56×45mm NATO SG 516 models accept AR-15 style box magazines. These magazines are constructed in 5-, 10-, 20-, and 30-round variants. SIG516 Russian rifles must use a different magazine, as they are chambered in 7.62×39mm. The SG 516 Russian uses magazines designed for 7.62×39mm AR-15 rifles. The rifle is hammer-fired and has a two-stage trigger mechanism in the SIG516 Marksman, while all others have a military specification single stage trigger.
A bolt hold-open device locks the bolt carrier assembly open after expending the last cartridge from the magazine and is released by pushing the bolt catch lever located on the left side of the receiver. Alternatively, a left-handed shooter may release the bolt by pulling the charging handle a short distance to the rear.
The SG 516 has a telescoping skeletonized buttstock. The ACE-style stock moves forward and rearward in 6 positions. A spring-loaded release underneath the buffer tube area locks into each position automatically. The upper receiver, lower receiver and handguards are made from aluminum. The SG 516 Patrol comes in black, while the SG 516 Patrol FDE and SG 516 OD Green are Cerakoted in their respective colors.
- Argentina - Used by Buenos Aires Metropolitan Police Operations Division High Risk (ODHR)
- Egypt - Used by Rapid Deployment Forces (Egypt)
- Georgia - In use with the Georgian MIA special forces
- Malaysia - Used by Malaysian Army Grup Gerak Khas
- Malta - Used by Police - Rapid Intervention Unit (Pulizija - RIU)
- Serbia - Used by PTJ
- Turkey - Used by Polis Özel Harekat and Presidential Guards
- United Kingdom - used by Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorist Specialist Firearms Officers (CTSFO) and West Midlands Police
- Switzerland - used by Cantonal police Argovia (CTSFO)
- Hong Kong - CQB (10" barrel) version used by Hong Kong Police Special Duties Unit (SDU).
- "SIG Rifles". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "SIG Rifles". Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "SIG Sauer's SIG516: Expect the unexpected". Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "SIG516 tactical rifle". Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Rapid Deployment Forces (Egypt)#