SIG Sauer SIG516
|SIG Sauer SIG516|
The SIG516 Tactical Patrol 14.5″
|Place of origin||United States
|Manufacturer||Swiss Arms AG|
|Weight||516 PDW: 6.5 lb (2.95 kg)
516 CQB: 6.9 lb (3.13 kg)
516 Tactical Patrol: 7.09 lb (3.22 kg)
516 Patrol: 7.6 lb (3.45 kg)
516 Precision: 7.7 lb (3.5 kg)
516 Russian: 7.6 lb (3.4 kg)
516 Patrol FDE: 7.6 lb (3.4 kg)
516 OD Green: 7.6 lb (3.4 kg)
|Length||516 Patrol (stock extended): 36.7 in (932.2 mm)
516 Patrol (stock collapsed): 33.0 in (838.2 mm)
516 Precision: 39.5 in (1,003.3 mm)
516 Patrol FDE (stock extended): 36.7 in (932.2 mm)
516 Patrol FDE (stock collapsed): 33.0 in (838.2 mm)
516 OD Green (stock extended): 36.7 in (932.2 mm)
516 OD Green (stock collapsed): 33.0 in (838.2 mm)
|Barrel length||516 PDW: 7.5 in (190.5 mm)
516 CQB: 10 in (254.0 mm)
516 Tactical Patrol: 14.5 in (368.3 mm)
516 Patrol: 16 in (406.4 mm)
516 Precision: 18 in (457.2 mm)
516 Patrol FDE: 16 in (406.4 mm)
516 OD Green: 16 in (406.4 mm)
516 Russian: 16 in (406.4 mm)
|Action||Short-stroke Pushrod Gas System, rotating bolt|
|Feed system||10, 20, 30-round detachable magazine|
The SIG516 is a semi-automatic firearm multi caliber rifle, intended for civilian and law enforcement markets. The same family also includes selective-fired "assault rifles", strictly intended for law enforcement and military use. It fires from a closed bolt, and has a short-stroke push rod piston system. The gas piston pushes the bolt carrier rearward, where it is returned to the forward and locked position by a spring. This process loads the next cartridge. The 516 has a four position gas regulator, allowing the user to choose the amount of gas directed to the piston.
The SIG516 has a safety lever on the left side, to be used by the thumb of the shooting hand. The gas block integrates an adjustable gas regulator. The front gas block is railed to accept the front sight with a flip-up sight post. SIG516 models are equipped with an M16A2 style bird-cage flash hider.
The 5.56×45mm NATO SIG516 models accept AR-15 style box magazines. These magazines are constructed in 5-, 10-, 20-, and 30-round variants. SIG516 Russian rifles must use a different magazine, as they are chambered in 7.62×39mm. The SIG516 Russian uses magazines designed for 7.62×39mm AR-15 rifles. The rifle is hammer-fired and has a two-stage trigger mechanism in the SIG516 Marksman, while all others have a military specification single stage trigger.
A bolt hold-open device locks the bolt carrier assembly open after expending the last cartridge from the magazine and is released by pushing the bolt catch lever located on the left side of the receiver. Alternatively, a left-handed shooter may release the bolt by pulling the charging handle a short distance to the rear.
- Hong Kong - In use with the Hong Kong Police Special Duties Unit and Counter Terrorist Response Unit (CTRU)
- Georgia - In use with the Georgian MIA special forces
- Serbia - Used by PTJ
- Singapore - Used by Protective Security Command and Police Coast Guard Special Task Squadron.
- Switzerland - used by Cantonal police Argovia (CTSFO)
- Turkey - Used by Polis Özel Harekat and Presidential Guards
- United Kingdom - used by Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorist Specialist Firearms Officers (CTSFO) and West Midlands Police
- United States of America - Used by Delaware State Police when purchased in 2012 and also by Cincinnati Police Department SWAT, as well as the Anderson County, South Carolina Sheriff's Office SWAT. San Diego Police Department SWAT, in which the rifles will replace out aging Vietnam era M16s. 
- "SIG Rifles". Sigsauer.com. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "SIG Rifles". Sigsauer.com. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "SIG Sauer's SIG516: Expect the unexpected". Americanrifleman.org. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "SIG516 tactical rifle". World.guns.ru. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "geo-army.ge". Geo-army.ge. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- [dead link]
- "Mit dieser Waffe reagiert die Aargauer Polizei auf die Pariser Anschläge". M.aargauerzeitung.ch. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "Özel harekâta özel silah | Şanliurfa Haberleri". Urfa1.com. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- Dodd, Vikram (29 June 2015). "Scotland Yard creates SAS-style unit to counter threat of terrorist gun attack". The Guardian.
- "Birmingham accidental firearms discharge investigation complete - Independent Police Complaints Commission". Ipcc.gov.uk.
- "Cincinnati SWAT selects SIG516 CQB; Delaware State Police pick SIG516". Tactical-life.com. 2015-04-11. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/02/26/sdpd-given-new-swat-equipment/. Missing or empty