Sanal Kumar Sasidharan
|Sanal Kumar Sasidharan|
April 8, 1977|
|Residence||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India|
Sanal Kumar Sasidharan was born in Perumkadavila village, Thiruvananthapuram district, Kerala on 8 April 1977. He graduated in Zoology from VTM NSS College Dhanuvachapuram,Trivandrum and Law then started his job as a lawyer. He was associated with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), a student organization associated with the Bharatiya Janata Party, and was the unit secretary of the ABVP during his days at the Law College. He later left ABVP over political differences, and became a critic of the BJP-controlled Central government. In 2001, he formed a film society, Kazhcha Chalachithra Vedi with his colleagues, for making independent movies through crowd funding. He has directed three short films and one feature film through crowd funding. He was awarded as the Best Director in the Kerala State Film Awards 2014.
His film career started in 2000 as an Art Assistant in the malayalam film Mankolangal. After that he made his first short movie Wonder world in 2001. The cinematography was by Sunny Joseph and editing by Beena Paul. The short fiction was produced by Kazhcha Chalachithra Vedi by way of crowd funding. There was a long gap after his first short movie. In 2008 he directed Parole produced by a group of friends from Malayalam blog community. His third short film Frog, won a Kerala State Television Award for best short film in 2008. In 2014 Kazhcha Chalachithra Vedi produced his first feature-length movie Oraalppokkam for which he had been awarded the Best Director . The film has got fipresci and Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema awards for the best Malayalam film in the International Film Festival of Kerala 2014. He has also bagged the Kerala State Film Award for Best Director in 2014. His second movie Ozhivudivasathe Kali (An Off-Day Game), which was completed in 2015 has been officially selected to International Film Festival of Kerala and Mumbai Film Festival. The film has also been selected to the Film Basar Recommends in the Film Basar in Goa.
|2001||Athisayalokam||Short film |
Crowd funded by Kazhcha Chalachithra Vedi
|2008||Parole||Short film |
Blog cinema from Malayalam blogosphere 
|2012||Frog||Short film |
Awarded as the best short film in the Kerala State Television Awards 2012 
|2014||Oraalppokkam||First feature film |
First online crowd funded feature film in Malayalam
|2015||Ozhivudivasathe Kali||Feature film |
2015 Kerala State Film Award for Best Film
|2017||Sexy Durga||Feature film |
2017 Hivos Tiger Award International Film Festival Rotterdam
|2017||Unmadiyude Maranam||Feature film |
- Hivos Tiger Award International Film Festival Rotterdam in 2017
- Golden Apricot Award Yerevan International Film Festival in 2017
- Award for the Best International Feature in the Expresión en Corto International Film Festival/Guanajuato International Film Festival, Mexico 
- Jury Mention For Direction in Valencia International Film Festival Cinema Jove in 2017 
- Kerala State Film Award for Best Film in the 2015 Kerala State Film Awards
- Best Director award in the 2014 Kerala State Film Awards
- Special Jury award in the John Abraham Awards 2014
- Special Jury mention in the Aravindan Puraskaram 2014
- Mohan Raghavan award Best director 2014
- "KSFDC Body Blow to Noted Filmmaker Sanal Kumary". The New Indian Express. 8 October 2015.
- "Neenaal Vazhatte Maunam". Epathram. 27 November 2009.
- "About Me". Sanalsasidharan.com.
- "I was surprised that Oraalppokkam captured the hearts of the majority". Rediff.com. 4 January 2015.
- Rajeev Ramachandran (19 November 2017). "Unprecedented, Unconstitutional Action by I&B Ministry to Remove Two Films From IFFI List: 'S Durga' Director". The Wire. Retrieved 2017-11-27.
- "In-A-Dialogue with Sanal Kumar Sasidharan". filmmakersfans. 2015-10-14.
- "One Man's Soul-Searching Journey". The New Indian Express.
- "45th KERALA STATE FILM AWARDS-2014" (PDF). Kerala State Chalachitra Academy.
- "A Taxing Journey to Glory". The New Indian Express. 13 August 2015.
- "Frog". YouTube.
- "Film Bazaar Recommends: Selection" (PDF). Filmbazaarindia.
- "Our Projects". Kazhcha Film Forum.
- "Parole:Blogger's Film On Children". filmBeat.com. 12 January 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "കേരള സംസ്ഥാന ടെലിവിഷൻ അവാർഡ്" (PDF). keralafilm.
- "Matter of life and death". The Hindu. 22 November 2012.
- "A guerrilla attempt in film financing". Business Line. 19 November 2013.
- "Malayalam film 'Oraalpokkam' to be launched through crowd funding". The Economic Times. 13 November 2013.
- http://www.hindustantimes.com/regional-movies/sexy-durga-a-new-film-by-kerala-director/story-gm9byWwrZ5hsklFM72RvSL.html. Missing or empty
- https://scroll.in/latest/828505/sexy-durga-wins-tiger-award-at-international-film-festival-rotterdam. Missing or empty
- http://www.deccanchronicle.com/content/tags/unmadiyude-maranam. Missing or empty
- "Malayalam film 'Sexy Durga' wins Hivos Tiger Award". Indian Express.
- "THE WINNERS OF 14TH GOLDEN APRICOT YEREVAN IFF ARE ANNOUNCED". Golden Apricot.
- "Guanajuato 2017 Dispatch: Film Awards Go To SEXY DURGA, LOS AÑOS AZULES, And More". http://screenanarchy.com. External link in
- "La sudafricana 'The Wound' obtiene la Luna de Valencia en Cinema Jove 2017". cineytele.
- "State Film Award 2014". Keralafilm.
- "Winners of video film fete". The Hindu.
- "Wins Aravindan Puraskaram". The New Indian Express.
- "Oraalppokkam wins Mohan Raghavan award". ytalkies.