Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
National General Secretary
National Organising Secretary
|Part of a series on|
Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) (translation: All Indian Student Council) is a right-wing all-India student organisation. The ABVP, founded in 1948, was formally registered on 9 July 1949  and is the largest student union in India.
The ABVP was started by students in 1948, a year after Indian Independence, with the objective of channeling students' energy toward the task of national reconstruction. It was founded by a group of students and teachers and was registered on 9 July 1949. Its growth process was slow and sporadic in its first few years but was accelerated after Professor Yeshwantrao Kelkar, a lecturer in Bombay, became its main organiser in 1958. He built the organisation into what it is now and is considered to be the real architect of the ABVP.
The ABVP gradually spread its work across several universities in India. Contrary to the popular perception that it is the student wing of BJP, the ABVP is actually the student wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and was founded before the BJP. However, it participates in joint activities with BJP's official youth wing, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha.
||This article possibly contains original research. (December 2013)|
It campaigns for educational and university reforms and competes in student-body elections in colleges and universities to achieve these goals.
Forums initiated by ABVP
- World Organisation of Students and Youth (WOSY)
- Students for Development (SFD)
- Student's Experience in Interstate Living (SEIL)
- overall development of students such to make eligible for job
Controversies, attacks and vandalism
ABVP has been in news regularly due to its violent strategies and right-wing extremism.
- 23 April 2011 : Student activists of ABVP attacked the anchors of MTV's Roadies show in Pune.
- 18 August 2011 : ABVP cadres ransack missionary school over Anna protest in Jharkhand.
- 26 January 2012 : ABVP members set ablaze reels of Telugu film 'Businessman (film)' on the Osmania University campus.
- 29 January 2012 : ABVP protested against the screening of Sanjay Kak's documentary Jashn-e-Azadi, forcing Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune to indefinitely postpone the seminar Voices of Kashmir.
- 14 April 2012 : ABVP members attacked Beef Festival in Osmania University.
- 24 August 2013 : After the screening of Jai Bhim Comrade and the performance by Kabir Kala Manch, ABVP attacked students of Film and Television Institute of India, Pune and KKM members blaming them as Naxalite, and asked them to say Jai Narendra Modi.
- 7 September 2013 : A Kashmiri film fest was targeted by the group of right wing extremists in Hyderabad. A group of ABVP workers entered the venue just few hours after the programme started and indulged in vandalism.
- 30 December 2014 : PK film was abstructed by ABVP.
- Foundation; retrieved 31 March 2011
- Christophe Jaffrelot (2010). Religion, Caste, and Politics in India. Primus Books. p. 193. ISBN 978-93-80607-04-7.
- "ABVP history". Abvp.org. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- ABVP largest in world
- "ABVP not a student wing of mim". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 2011-10-13. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- ABVP leaders
- "Protests by BJYM, ABVP mar ICET counselling". The Hindu.
- "BJYM, ABVP protest against incursion by Chinese - JK Newspoint Newspaper Jammu Kashmir". jknewspoint.com.
- "ABVP educational reforms". Thehindu.com. 2012-09-11. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Students For Development (SFD)". studentsfordevelopment.org.
- "ABVP activists blacken faces of MTV Roadies anchors". NDTV. 2011-04-23. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "ABVP activists blacken MTV anchor's face". The Hindu. 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Jharkhand: ABVP cadres ransack missionary school over Anna protest". India Today. 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "'Businessman' reels burnt by ABVP men". IBN-Live. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Kashmir seminar postponed after ABVP protest". NDTV. 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "In Jaipur replay, university bows to ABVP film fatwa". The Hindu. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "ABVP pushes Symbiosis University to call off seminar on Kashmir". India Today. 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Violence in Osmania University as right wing students groups attack Beef Festival of Dalit students". India Today. 2012-04-15. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "ABVP thrashes FTII student for not saying ‘Jai Narendra Modi’". The Hindu. 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Right-wing hooligans and a complicit State". The Sunday Guardian. 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Right wing activists target Kashmiri film fest in Hyderabad". IBN-Live. 2013-09-07. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "PK row: ABVP burns Aamir Khan's effigy in Muzaffarnagar". Times of India. December 30, 2014. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "Обновление FLV Player". Abvp.org. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- ABVP (2005-12-24). "Resolutions".
- "ABVP urges policy to stop commercialisation of education". Deccan Herald. 2004-05-02. Archived from the original on 2004-11-14.
- "ABVP Karyakartas take up Tsunami Relief Work".
- "ABVP protests against attacks on Indians in Australia".