Location of Sayama in Saitama Prefecture
|• Total||49.04 km2 (18.93 sq mi)|
|Population (October 1, 2010)|
|• Density||3,210.71/km2 (8,315.7/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Camellia sinensis (tea plant)|
|• Bird||Azure-winged magpie|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
The current Mayor is Yukinari Nakagawa (仲川幸成), who was elected in 2003.
The Iruma River flows through the city.
History and culture
The city was the location of the Sayama Incident, a 1963 murder and trial which resulted in the false accusation and conviction of an innocent man, a member of the Burakumin minority group, of murder.
Asteroid 4461 Sayama was named after the city.
Honda assembly plant
Sayama is the location of an assembly plant, which opened in 1964, for Honda/Acura vehicles, currently including the Fit, CR-V, and RLX, and in the past the Accord, Prelude, Vigor, Inspire, Legend and Integra. The plant was briefly closed, but not damaged, following the March 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, and restarted production in April 2011, albeit at lower production levels.
Dai Nippon Printing Company, Ltd. imaging media division operates a large coating facility in the city.
The Sankyo Flute Company is located there.
In January 2015, Marc Simmons became partner with Mr. Hasan Nuri and took over as CEO of Haselfoods (haselfoods.com), which became the only baklava manufacturing facilty in Japan (a hand made Mediterranean dessert). Located in Aoyagi, Sayama Haselfoods also imports food products from the Mediterranean.
People from Sayama
- Matsushige Ohno (大野松茂), politician
- Shiori Kazama, director, The Mars Canon
- Mitsuo Hashimoto, manga artist
- Ryuji Hijikata, professional wrestler
- Tetsurō Araki, anime director
- Kensuke Kazama, photographer
- "JNTO Japan event calendar|contents". Jnto.go.jp. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Tanabata Festivals in Japan". Gojapan.about.com. 2012-04-09. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "The Sayama Case ｜ IMADR". Imadr.org. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Indoor Snowboarding in Japan". Paul Hartrick. 2008-11-17. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Honda Worldwide | History". World.honda.com. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Honda Worldwide | May 17, 2006 "Honda Builds New Automobile Plant in Japan With Annual Production Capacity of 200,000 units"". World.honda.com. 2006-05-17. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "The Assembly Line Is Rolling Again, Tenuously, at Honda in Japan". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "LOTTE". LOTTE. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Shiori Kazama". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
-  Archived March 16, 2011 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sayama, Saitama.|
- Sayama City official website (Japanese) (note link to automated multilingual translation)