Sichuan University School of Medicine
Motto in English
|Strength through self-renewal, strive to persevere, aspire for the truth, toil to discover.|
|Location||Chengdu, Sichuan, People's Republic of China
Sichuan University School of Medicine (Chinese: 四川大学医学部, or West China University of Medical Sciences (WCUMS)[nb 1] is located in Chengdu, Sichuan, China, and is administered by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. The medical school was founded in 1914 and it merged with Sichuan University in 2000. West China University of Medical Sciences is ranked 3rd in China for medicine. It is one of the 8 key medical universities under the direct control of Ministry of Education,China.
In 1910, five Christian missionary groups from the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States founded the private university, Huaxi Xiehe College, or West China Union College. The university's medical school was founded in 1914 and taught basic medicine and clinical medicine, biomedicine and stomatology. Three years later the school became the first to teach dentistry in China. In 1924 women were admitted to the college as a whole. Helen Yoh was the first woman to graduate medical school.
On September 23, 1933 West China College was registered with the Provincial Board of Education. In 1941 the East-West Cultural Agency, a foreign exchange student program for distinguished scholars and staff members, was created with the University of Cambridge and Oxford University.
In 1985 the school changed its name to West China University of Medical Sciences (WCUMS). It merged with Sichuan University in 2000.
Sihcuan University School of Medicine is situated in sichuan province's capitol Chengdu in the Chengdu downtown area on the banks of Jinjiang river. One of the top five medical schools in China, the School of Medicine has five divisions:
- Clinical Medicine
- Maternity and Child Hygiene
- Allied Health Professions
- Higher Nursing Education
- Laboratory Medicine
According to China's University and College Admission System, in 2012 the school was an A level rated school and the only Cochrane Center or "evidence based medical center in Asia. It is one of only 15 of such centers in the world. The Implementation of the project has won a national prize from the Ministry of Education.
West China School of Medicine is a member of the Institute for International Medical Education (IIME),INCLEN (International Clinical Epidemiology Network) and International Network of universities.
West China School of Medicine has cooperative agreements with 150 universities from 43 countries like USA,UK,Canada,Holland,Japan,Germany,Finland,Taiwan,Hong Kong,Australia. This includes University of Washington,UCLA,Michigan University and 10 other american universities, Glasgow University and 2 others from UK, Waseda, Hiromishima and Yamanash Universities from Japan.
West China School of Medicine is listed in the World Directory of Medical schools published by WHO, The International Medical Education Directory(IMED), Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates(ECFMG) and the Foundation of International Medical Education and Research(FAIMER)
- Prizes and publishing
- west China School of Medicine has won 243 Ministerial and Provincial prizes with 19 patent rights.
- 1700 research papers were published out of which 600 were published in international journals.
Institutions and affiliated hospitals
Sichuan University School of Medicine has the following colleges, research institutes and affiliated hospitals.
- Colleges: Sichuan University School of Basic Medical School, First Clinical College, Second Clinical College, School of Stomatology, College of Pharmacy, School of Public Health, and School of Nursing.
- Research institutes: Sichuan University Institute of Medical Virology Institute of Medical Virology, Medical Structural Biology Research Center, and the Experimental Animal Center.
West China School of Medicine,Sichuan University has 4 affiliated hospitals.
- West China Hospital is the largest hospital in china and the largest single site hospital in the world and it is ranked 2nd according to the Rankings of China's Best Hospitals 2012. West China Hospital has 36 clinical departments,15 medical technology departments and 25 open laboratories. In 2011, more than 3.5 million patients visited the outpatient department, 173,000 patients were discharged from inpatient departments, and more than 93,900 operations were performed. There are 4,300 beds. the hospital employs 6100 permanent staff of which 550 are professors or associate professors. The hospital offers 31 programs leading to doctorate degrees, doctorate programs in clinical medicine and post doctorate programs in clinical and basic medicines. The hospital has 1 state laboratory, 2 key laboratories of the Ministry of Education, 9 key disciplines of Ministry of Education, 2 disciplines with the national "211"project, 5 key programs of ministry of health, 16 key disciplines and 25 provincial level key laboratories.
- The children's and maternity hospital, West China Second Hospital, has 600 beds. Founded in 1988 on the basis of department of gynecology and obstetrics and the Department of Pediatrics in the West china hospital. West China Women's and Children's Hospital is under the immediate supervision of Ministry of health of China.The title "Baby Friendly Hospital" was awarded by the Ministry of Health and WHO. The hospital contains China Birth Defect Monitoring Center, the Prenatal Research Center and the Emergency Center for Acute Respiratory Tract Infection in Children. It was Awarded the "Top Tertiary Hospital" in 1998. West China Second University Hospital's ob/gyns and pediatrics is rated as National Key Disciplines. The staff consists of 406 members of which 61 are professors,78 are associate professors. In 2011 the hospital served 3.5 million outpatients and emergency patients and performed 22500 surgeries and 7600 deliveries.
- the fourth university hospital of sichuan University. Founded in 1917 it is the only specialized hospital for occupational diseases among all the medical universities in china.
- Hospital of Stomatology founded in 1985 it is considered the cradle of modern stomatology in China as it is the 1st hospital of stomatology. The hospital annually serves 400,000 patients in outpatients clinics and 3000 patients in inpatients wards. the hospital has a capacity of 220 dental chairs and its staff consists of 507 staff members.
The Department of Medicine's Sichuan Institute of Virology was involved in the formation of the State Key Laboratory of Virology Association with the Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Oral Biomedical Engineering (Sichuan University Wuhan University.
- "Sichuan University School of Medicine" is used in some scholarly articles and resumes. "West China Medical University (WCMUS)" is traditionally used as the name of the school and as of December 2013 the official site says the name of the school is "West China Medical University of Sichuan University".