Sony Xperia Z5
|Manufacturer||Sony Mobile Communications|
|Slogan||Your Story Never Looked So Good|
|Model||E6603, E6653 (single sim)|
E6633, E6683 (dual sim)
SO-01H, SOV32, 501SO (Japanese variant)
|First released||2 September 2015|
|Availability by region||1 October 2015 (Taiwan, United Kingdom)|
13 October 2015 (Europe)
23 October 2015 (India)
29 October 2015 (Canada, Japan; SO-01H variant exclusively for NTT DoCoMo, SOV32 variant exclusively for au by KDDI, 501SO variant exclusively for SoftBank Mobile)
2 July 2016 (USA)
|Predecessor||Sony Xperia Z3+ (Global)|
Sony Xperia Z4 SO-03G (Japan)
Sony Xperia Z4 402SO (Japan)
Sony Xperia Z4 SOV31 (Japan)
|Successor||Sony Xperia XZ|
|Related||Sony Xperia Z5 Compact|
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
|Dimensions||146 mm (5.7 in) H|
72 mm (2.8 in) W
7.3 mm (0.29 in) D
|Mass||154 g (5.4 oz)|
|Operating system||Android 5.1.1 Lollipop (launch)|
Android 6.0 "Marshmallow"
Android 7.0 Nougat
Android 7.1.1 Nougat (current)
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 MSM8994|
|CPU||Octa-core 64-bit 20 nm|
• Quad-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A57
• Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex A-53
|Removable storage||Up to 200 GB microSDXC|
|Battery||non-user removable Li-ion 2900 mAh|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch, capacitive touchscreen, proximity sensor|
|Display||5.2 in (130 mm) 1080p IPS LCD|
Full HD 1920x1080 px
TRILUMINOS™ Display with Live Color LED
X-Reality Engine for Mobile
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
|Rear camera||23 MP[Exmor RS IMX300],1/2.3" sensor size, back-side illuminated sensor, LED flash, 4K (2160p) video recording @ 30 fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, 0.03 seconds Hybrid Autofocus|
|Front camera||5 MP,[Exmor R IMX241],1/5" sensor size, 1080p video recording @ 30 fps, 720p@60fps|
USB 2.0 (Micro-B port, USB charging, Quick Charge 2.0)
3.50 mm (0.138 in) headphone jack, 5 pole, fingerprint sensor
The Sony Xperia Z5 is an Android smartphone produced by Sony. Part of the Sony Xperia Z series, the device, at that point known by the project code name "Sumire", was unveiled along with the Xperia Z5 Compact and Xperia Z5 Premium during a press conference at IFA 2015 on September 2, 2015. The device was launched globally in October and will launch in the United States as an unlocked device in February 2016. It is the successor to the Sony Xperia Z3+.
Similar to its predecessor, the device is water and dust proof with an IP rating of 65 and 68. It is Sony's first device to feature a fingerprint sensor. The device comes with 23 Megapixel camera with 0.03 seconds Hybrid Autofocus that utilizes phase detection autofocus, similarly found in the Xperia M5.
In February 2016, it was confirmed by Sony Mobile's senior product marketing manager Jun Makino that the Sony Xperia Z5 will be the final smartphone in the Sony Xperia Z series, with all future releases being released as part of the Sony Xperia X series. However this rumor was dismissed as Sony's Head of Marketing, Don Mesa has clarified that the X Series will not replace the Z Series.
Unlike its predecessors, the Xperia Z5's body design consists of an aluminum frame with a frosted glass backing to reduce fingerprints appearing on the back of the phone. The device carries an IP rating of IP65 and IP68, making it dust and water resistant. The device features a 5.15 inches (13.1 cm) (marketed as 5.2-in) 1080p display with a density of 424 ppi, featuring Sony's "Triluminos" technology. The device also features a 64-bit 2.0 GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 system-on-chip with 3 GB of RAM. The device also has 32 GB internal storage with microSD card expansion up to 200 GB. The device also includes a non-removable 2900 mAh battery.
The rear-facing camera of the Xperia Z5 is 23 megapixels with sensor size of 1/2.3 inch and an aperture of f/2.0, featuring a newer Sony Exmor RS image sensor, instead of the 20.7 megapixels image sensor which was used in all of its predecessors, starting from the Xperia Z1. Similarly found in the Xperia M5, the devices also features hybrid autofocus that utilizes phase detection autofocus that can focus the object within 0.03 seconds.
Xperia Z5 also features a redesigned power button located on the right side of the device with a fingerprint recognition system which can be used to unlock the phone. However, the fingerprint sensor is disabled in the US version of the phone due to a "business decision", although it can be reenabled by modifying the firmware.
The Xperia Z5 is preinstalled with Android 5.1 Lollipop with Sony's custom interface and software. Pre-loaded applications on the Z5 provide access to Google’s various services, including Google Play, which can be used to download and purchase apps, music, movies, and e-books.
On August 23, 2016, Sony announced that the Xperia Z5 would receive an upgrade to Android 7.0 Nougat. The update started rolling out in January 2017, but was put on hold shortly thereafter upon "reports from some users experiencing inconsistencies related to audio playback via third-party apps and SD card encrypted data read performance." The update re-commenced in February 2017.
- "Sony India announces Xperia Z5 dual and Z5 Premium dual". Xperia Blog. 21 October 2015. Archived from the original on 22 October 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Bell gets Xperia Z5 exclusivity in Canada; launches on 29 October". Xperia Blog. 20 October 2015. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "Sony Xperia Z5 now on sale in Japan". Xperia Blog. 29 October 2015. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "September 2015 press release". 2 September 2015. Archived from the original on 6 September 2015.
- "Sony Xperia Z5 and Z5 Compact will be officially released in the US next month". Phonearena.com. Phonearena. 14 January 2016. Archived from the original on 16 January 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Xperia Z5 announced". Xperia Blog. 2 September 2015. Archived from the original on 5 September 2015.
- "Sony exec confirms company will not launch an Xperia Z6 - Pocket-lint". www.pocket-lint.com. Archived from the original on 2016-02-29.
- "Xperia Z6, Xperia C6 release, specs: Xperia Z6 slated to be unveiled at IFA 2016?; Xperia C6 to feature 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, MediaTek Helio processor". Yibada. 2016-04-19. Archived from the original on 2016-04-25. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Hands On with Xperia Z5". AndroidCentral. 3 September 2015. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Hands on: Xperia Z5 review". Techradar. 3 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Sony Xperia Z5 hands on". Android Authority. 3 September 2015. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Sony Xperia Z5 camera: Sample image and new tech explained". Pocket-lint. 2 September 2015. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Xperia Z5 review: Good but not exceptional". The Guardian. 19 September 2015. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Xperia Z5 (E6603 and E6653) white paper" (PDF). 7 March 2016. Archived (PDF) from the original on 18 April 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "No fingerprint sensor in US Xperia Z5 and Z5 Compact models [Update]". 15 January 2016. Archived from the original on 24 June 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "E6653 Flash E6603 US Firmware & Enable Fingerprint Scanner". 2 February 2016. Archived from the original on 1 July 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Sony Xperia Z5 hands-on: Long time no see". Phonearena. 2 September 2015. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Richard Devine (14 November 2015). "Sony Xperia Z5 and Xperia Z5 Compact Review". Android Central. Mobile Nations. Archived from the original on 30 January 2016. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- Rob Triggs (7 March 2016). "Marshmallow for the Xperia Z5 rolling out today". Androidauthority.com. Android Authority. Archived from the original on 28 April 2016.
- Whitwam, Ryan. "Sony announces Android 7.0 upgrade list—includes the Xperia Z5, Xperia X, and more". Android Police. Illogical Robot LLC. Archived from the original on 23 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Sony appears to have pulled Android Nougat firmware for Xperia Z5 users [Update]". Xperia Blog. 20 January 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-02-11.
- "Android Nougat rollout re-starts for Xperia Z5, Z3 Plus and Z4 Tablet (32.3.A.0.376)". Xperia Blog. 9 February 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-02-10.
- Media related to Sony Xperia Z5 at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Official Press Release
- Official Whitepaper
- Official Whitepaper (Dual SIM version)
Sony Xperia Z3+
| Sony Xperia Z5
Sony Xperia XZ