Sony Xperia Z2
Xperia Z2 left and Z5 dual right
|Manufacturer||Sony Mobile Communications|
|Slogan||Details make the difference|
|Model||D6502, D6503, D6543, L50t, L50u, SO-03F|
D6502: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.
D6503: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20).D6543: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8).
|First released||24 March 2014|
|Availability by country||
24 March 2014(Taiwan)
5 April 2014
1 May 2014
5 May 2014(Canada)
12 May 2014(India)
17 May 2014
19 May 2014(New Zealand)
21 May 2014NTT DoCoMo)21 July 2014 (Japan, SO-03F variant exclusively for (United States)
|Predecessor||Sony Xperia Z1|
|Successor||Sony Xperia Z3|
|Related||Sony Xperia Z
Sony Xperia Z1
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Sony Xperia Z2 SO-03F (Japan)
|Form factor||Slate, Omni-Balance|
|Dimensions||146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm|
|Operating system||Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Launch)
Android 4.4.4 KitKat
Android 5.0.2 Lollipop (last version for SO-03F)
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow (current)
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 801|
|CPU||2.3 GHz quad-core Krait (2.3 GHz Qualcomm MSM8974AB Quad Core)|
|Memory||3 GB RAM|
|Storage||16 GB (32 GB for SO-03F variant)|
|Removable storage||Up to 128 GB microSDXC|
|Battery||non-user removable Li-ion 3200 mAh|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch, capacitive touchscreen, proximity sensor|
|Display||5.2 in (130 mm) diagonal IPS LCD
Full HD 1920x1080 px
BRAVIA TRILUMINOS Display with Sony Live Color LED
X-Reality Engine for Mobile
2160p video recording @ 30 frames/s
1080p video recording @ 30/60 frames/s
720p video recording @ 30/120 frames/s
|Front camera||2.2 MP (1080p video recording)|
USB 2.0 (Micro-B port, USB charging)
3.50 mm (0.138 in) headphone jack, 5 pole
|Other||Available in black, purple and white
IP55 / IP58 (Dust protected, Water jet protected & Waterproof)
Digital Noise cancellation
Sony Exmor R for Mobile
Sony Exmor RS for Mobile
Sony G Lens
1/2.3 Aperture sensor
Sony BIONZ image processor
Sony Entertainment Network
1seg (SO-03F variant only)
Magnetic charge port
Osaifu-Keitai (SO-03F variant only)
NOTTV (SO-03F variant only)
POBox Plus (SO-03F variant only)
The Sony Xperia Z2 is an Android smartphone manufactured by Sony and released in April 2014. Under the codename "Sirius", Xperia Z2 serves as the successor to the Sony Xperia Z1. Like its predecessor, the Xperia Z2 is water and dust proof with an IP rating of IP55 and IP58. The phone features a new IPS LED display, a Snapdragon 801 processor and the ability to record 4K videos. The Xperia Z2 also allows removable microSD storageия.
It was unveiled alongside the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet and the Sony Xperia M2 during the 2014 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, on February 24, 2014, and was first released in Taiwan on March 24, 2014, in Singapore on April 5, 2014, and entered more markets between April and May 2014. In the United States, the Xperia Z2 was released unlocked through the Sony Store on July 21, 2014.
Many reviewers praised the phone's screen, camera and waterproof design, but criticized its size and some camera software issues.
Similar to the devices under the Sony Xperia Z series, the Xperia Z2 has an "Omni-Balance", according to Sony, which is focused on creating balance and symmetry in all directions. The phone comes with the same aluminium frame as its predecessor. It also features tempered glass on the front and back with an aluminium power button placed on the right hand side of the device.
The Sony Xperia Z2 features a 5.2 inch BRAVIA IPS LCD Triluminos display with a resolution of 1080 by 1920 pixels (Full HD) with a pixel density of 424 ppi. Additionally, display features such as Live Color LED technology reproduces richer colours and more uniform backlighting as compared to the Sony Xperia Z1. It has a large 1/2.3" 20.7 megapixel camera with Sony's in-house G lens with Sony BIONZ for mobile image processor and Exmor RS for mobile image sensor. The camera is capable of HDR and 4K video recording. It also supports 4K video output via MHL 3.0. It also features a front-facing camera of 2.2 megapixels. The phone is available in three different colors, black, purple and white.
On the inside, the Xperia Z2 features a slightly tweaked Snapdragon 800 processor (known as Snapdragon 801) clocked at 2.3 GHz sealed with a high capacity 3200mAh battery, 3GB of RAM with 16GB (11.57GB user accessible, as shown on the device) internal storage and has microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC support up to 128GB (note that SD card can be used for app storage under android Lollipop v5.0.2 and later). The Xperia Z2 is lighter and also thinner than its predecessor weighing at 163g and measuring 146.8mm by 73.3mm by 8.2mm. For connectivity, the phone supports NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, DLNA and FM radio. The ability to connect an external USB device is a feature otherwise known as USB OTG which the Xperia Z2 also supports. Digital noise cancellation technology is also built into the phone which works by using the headsets included with the phone.
The Xperia Z2 runs the Android 4.4.2 "KitKat" operating system with Sony's custom launcher with some notable applications additions, such as Sony's media applications (Walkman(currently updated to music), Album and Videos). With NFC on the Xperia Z2, it allows 'screen mirroring' to mirror what is on the smartphone screen to compatible TVs or play music on a NFC wireless speaker. Additionally, the device also includes Sony's battery stamina mode, which extends the phone's standby up to 4 times. Several Google applications (such as Google Chrome, Google Play, Google Search and Voice, Google Maps and Google Talk) are also preloaded onto the phone. New features added to the software includes 'Smart Backlight' - which keeps the phone display on for as long as the user is looking at it and 'Glove Mode'.
Sony announced on their blog that the whole Xperia Z series will be getting the Android 5.0 "Lollipop" update. The update will be carried out at the start of 2015.
Android 5.0 Lollipop started rolling out on 7 April 2015. The update in the United Kingdom rolled out on 16 April 2015.
Sony announced on their blog that the Xperia Z2 will get Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow after the release of Xperia Z5
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow is officially available. Android 7 is not on Sony's list for Z2.
In June 2014, the Xperia Z2 was announced as the "official smartphone" of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In Sweden, customers who purchased the phone also received one of Sony's wearable devices, the Sony SmartBand SWR10.
|Model||FCC id||Carriers/regions||GSM bands||UMTS bands||LTE bands||Notes|
|D6503||Worldwide||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20|
|D6543||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8|
All variants support four 2G GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900 and five 3G UMTS band 850/900/1700/1900/2100.
Like its predecessor, the Sony Xperia Z2 received mostly positive reviews. CNET's reviewer Andrew Hoyle gave the phone a 4.5 stars out of 5, praising its screen, camera and waterproof design. Vlad Savov from The Verge heaped praise on the Xperia Z2's battery life, and the well-built and waterproof design, while criticizing the phone's camera software and its size. John McCann of TechRadar applauded the camera's features, as well as its stylish screen and the battery life, while devoting his criticism towards the phone for being slow at some times, the large bezel design and 4K recording problems. Linus of LinusTechTips  referred to the Z2 as "Basically the Z1 but with the big glaring issue (The TN panel) gone".
- Sony Xperia Z2 TD-LTE L50t (Sony Sirius) @ HWBOT
- Sony Xperia Z2 4G TD-LTE L50u (Sony Sirius) @ HWBOT
- "Sony's best ever premium smartphone has arrived". Sony. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z2 to offer 15.5-megapixel manual mode, 1080p recording at 60fps: Report". NDTV Gadgets. February 10, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Something extraordinary is coming from Sony...". Sony Xperia. YouTube. February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Xperia Z2 goes on sale in Taiwan". Xperia Blog. March 24, 2014. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z2 now available in Singapore". CNET. April 6, 2014. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Reisinger, Don (July 21, 2014). "Sony's Xperia Z2 goes on sale in US, with $50 discount". CNET. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z2 vs Sony Xperia Z1: What's the difference?". Pocket Lint. 24 February 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Sony's Xperia Z2 Phablet Boasts a Gorgeous 5.2-inch Bravia Display". Techmunchie. Archived from the original on 2014-06-07. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z2 preview". Stuff Tv. February 25, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z2 hands-on review". PC Advisor. February 25, 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-06-07. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "The world's best camera and camcorder in a waterproof smartphone*". Sony. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z2". Phone Arena. February 25, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Sony Xperia Z2 Price in Malaysia & Specs". TechNave. February 25, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "We're bringing Android 5.0; Lollipop to the entire Xperia Z Series". Sony Mobile. October 16, 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Kee, Edwin (June 10, 2014). "Sony Xperia Z2 Is Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Phone". Ubergizmo. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Köp Sony Xperia Z2, få smart band på köpet!". Mobilect (in Swedish). April 29, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Hoyle, Andrew (April 14, 2014). "Sleek luxury meets lightning performance". CNET. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Savov, Vlad (April 21, 2014). "Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet review: One Sony, two devices". The Verge. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- McCann, John (May 1, 2014). "The jack of all trades flagship smartphone". TechRadar. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Linus Tech Tips
- Xperia Z2 Phone from Sony with Custom LTT Skin from dbrand... and a Surprise! - YouTube
Sony Xperia Z1
|Sony Xperia Z2
Sony Xperia Z3