South Bound Saurez
|"South Bound Saurez"|
|Song by Led Zeppelin|
|from the album In Through the Out Door|
|Released||15 August 1979|
|Studio||Polar Studios, Stockholm, Sweden|
|Songwriter(s)||John Paul Jones, Robert Plant|
"South Bound Saurez" is the second track on Led Zeppelin's 1979 album In Through the Out Door. The song is centered on John Paul Jones's honky-tonk piano. It is credited to Jones and singer Robert Plant.
"South Bound Saurez" is one of only two Led Zeppelin songs which Jimmy Page had no part in writing (the other being "All My Love", also from In Through the Out Door). At the time, Page and drummer John Bonham were spending a lot of time together and rarely appeared at the studio when Plant and Jones started working on songs for In Through the Out Door.
The song was never performed live at Led Zeppelin concerts, though some of the guitar riffs were at times included during live performances, as can be heard near the end of "Whole Lotta Love" in The Song Remains the Same.
Confusion over title
Over the years, several music writers have referred to the song as "South Bound Suarez", using "Suarez" (a common Spanish name) in place of "Saurez". In Experiencing Led Zeppelin: A Listener's Companion, author Gregg Akkerman mentions "South Bound Saurez" as "a misspelling of the intended 'Suarez'", but does not elaborate. However, music journalist Martin Popoff comments: "As for the title, 'Saurez' isn't a Spanish word for party, nor is it a misspelling of the French 'soiree.' It is, in fact, a distinguished Spanish surname that makes the idea of a 'south bound' Saurez seem reasonable."[a]
The lyrics to the song (as shown by MetroLyrics) do not include a reference to "South Bound Saurez". In the track listing for In Through the Out Door, Page's website lists the song as "South Bound Suarez". However, when the remastered edition of In Through the Out Door was prepared by Page in 2015, the spelling remained the same. The performance rights organisation ASCAP (Work ID: 490429471)[b] and International Standard Musical Work Code (T-070.143.812-1) both currently have the song registered as "South Bound Saurez".
In a retrospective review of In Through the Out Door (Deluxe Edition), Andrew Doscas of PopMatters described "South Bound Saurez" as sounding "more like an Elton John song than a Led Zeppelin song." Doscas also found "South Bound Saurez" as the prime example of Plant showing he's "lost his motivation, as has the rest of the band."
A rough mix of the song with fewer overdubs was re-released in 2015 on In Through the Out Door (Deluxe Edition), with the title "Southbound Piano".
- Robert Plant – vocals
- Jimmy Page – electric guitars
- John Paul Jones – bass guitar, tack piano
- John Bonham – drums and percussion
- Gonzalo Morales Sáurez, a Costa Rican painter, is one example of a "Saurez" surname.
- ASCAP also shows the alternative titles: South Bend Saurez, South Bound Saurez Jones Page, South Bound Sourez, South Bound Squarez, South Bound Suarez, Southbound, Southbound Saurez, Southbound Suarez, and Southern Bound.
- Dave Lewis (1994), The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin, Omnibus Press, ISBN 0-7119-3528-9.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (2007). "In Through the Out Door, 1979, Swan Song". In Woodstra, Chris. All Music Guide Required Listening: Classic Rock. New York City: Backbeat Books. p. 119. ISBN 978-0879309176.
- Davis, Stephen (1985). Hammer of the Gods. New York City: Ballantine Books. p. 293. ISBN 0-345-33516-3.
- Wall, Mick (2008). When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin. New York City: St. Martin's Griffin. pp. 392–393. ISBN 978-0-312-59039-0.
- Akkerman, Gregg (2014). Experiencing Led Zeppelin: A Listener's Companion. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield. p. 114. ISBN 978-0810889163.
- Popoff, Martin (2017). Led Zeppelin: All the Albums, All the Songs. Voyageur Press. p. 210. ISBN 978-0760352113.
- "Gonzalo Morales Sáurez: Biografía". gonzalomorales.net. 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- "Jimmy Page discography: In Through the Out Door". JimmyPage.com. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- South Bound Saurez at Discogs
- "ACE Repertory". ASCAP. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "South Bound Saurez". ISWC Network. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- Doscas, Andrew (22 September 2015). "Led Zeppelin: In Through the Out Door (Deluxe Edition)". PopMatters. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- Grow, Kory (3 June 2015). "Led Zeppelin Announces Final Three Deluxe Reissues". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 18 August 2017.