South West Tasmania
|South West Tasmania
|State electorate(s)||Lyons, Franklin|
|Federal Division(s)||Lyons, Franklin|
The more recent is the consideration as a potential area of resources for development and its consideration as World Heritage wilderness.
Most early walks through the region were for discovery, or in the case of Thomas Bather Moore was to establish tracks for access.
In 1927, a walk through the area between Cox's Bight and Bathurst Harbour even included, the then governor of the state, Sir James O'Grady included in its intention, a search for geological information. 
South West Advisory Committee
Members were Sir George B Cartland, G. J. Foot and A. G. Ogilvie. Submissions were received on its subject area  It made a preliminary report in May 1976, and a final report in August 1978.
South West Tasmania Resources Survey
See also South West Tasmania Resources Survey for further details
Following national and international concern over the fate of South West Tasmania, Commonwealth Government funded the survey the States Grants (Nature Conservation Act) act of 1974. Further funding was provided from the Environment (Financial Assistance) Act of 1977 
- Franklin River
- Picton River
- Huon Weld
- Lake Gordon-Lake Pedder
- Lower Gordon
- Macquarie Harbour
- King River
- Wanderer and Giblin
- Davey River
- Bathurst Harbour
- New River and South Coast
Ten years after the South West Resources survey the Australia Heritage Commission published an inventory for the South West 
- "VISIT TO SOUTH WEST TASMANIA.". Daily Telegraph (Launceston, Tas. : 1883 - 1928). Launceston, Tas.: National Library of Australia. 6 January 1927. p. 4. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- Tasmanian Conservation Trust (1976), Saving Tasmania's south-west : an Australian wilderness heritage, Tasmanian Conservation Trust, retrieved 24 August 2014
- Australian Conservation Foundation; Tasmania. South West Advisory Committee (1976), Submission to the South West Advisory Committee on the South West National Park draft management plan, Australian Conservation Foundation, ISBN 978-0-85802-041-2
- Tasmania. National Parks and Wildlife Service (1976), Submission to the Special Advisory Committee on south-west Tasmania, National Parks and Wildlife, retrieved 24 August 2014
- Cartland, George; Foot, Geoffrey James; Ogilvie, Albert George; Tasmania. Parliament. South West Advisory Committee (1976), South West Advisory Committee preliminary report, May 1976 : to the Minister for National Parks and Wildlife, the Honourable N.L.C. Batt M.H.A., Parliament House, Tasmania, T.J. Hughes, Govt. Printer, retrieved 24 August 2014
- South West Advisory Committee report, August 1978 : to the Minister for National Parks and Wildlife, the Honourable A.B.K. Lohrey, M.H.A., Parliament House, Tasmania: presented by Sir George Barrington Cartland, Geoffrey James Foot [and] Albert George Ogilvie. Hobart: Government Printer. ISBN 0-7246-0550-9 : Tasmanian Parliamentary paper ; no.61 of 1978
- Waterman, Peter (editor) (1979) South West Tasmania Resources Survey Working Paper No.18 - Mackintosh-Murchison Catchment Sandy Bay, Tasmanian National Parks and Wildlife Service ISBN 0-7246-0261-5 - details of Survey p.1
- (1981) Nomination of Western Tasmania Wilderness National Parks by the Commonwealth of Australia for the Inclusion in the World Heritage List, prepared by Tasmanian Government and Australia Heritage Commission November 1981 ISBN 0-642-87820-X
- Major catchments in South West Tasmania - in Waterman, Peter (editor) (1979) South West Tasmania Resources Survey Working Paper No.18 - Mackintosh-Murchison Catchment Sandy Bay, Tasmanian National Parks and Wildlife Service ISBN 0-7246-0261-5 - details of Survey p.201 - Map 7-1
- R.G. Lesslie, B.G. Mackey, J. Shulmeister (1988) National wilderness inventory : Stage II, wilderness quality in Tasmania Canberra : Australian Heritage Commission ISBN 0-642-13494-4 "A Report to the Australian Heritage Commission'.
- Gee, H.; Fenton, J., eds. (1978). The South West Book - A Tasmanian Wilderness. Melbourne: Australian Conservation Foundation. ISBN 0-85802-054-8.
- "Special Issue - The Wonderful South-West". Habitat. Australian Conservation Foundation. 3 (2). June–July 1975.
- Lines, William J. (2006). Patriots: defending Australia's natural heritage. St. Lucia, Qld.: University of Queensland Press. ISBN 0-7022-3554-7.
- Neilson, D. (1975). South West Tasmania - A land of the Wild. Adelaide: Rigby. ISBN 0-85179-874-8.