Star City (amusement park)
The outer facade of the entrance building, pictured in 2010
|Location||Barangay 1, Pasay, Philippines|
|Visitors per annum||1.5 million|
Star City has an annual attendance of about 1.5 million people.
Star City is the Philippines' only all-weather, air-conditioned amusement park. It has more than 30 different rides and attractions.
It was established in 1991. Star City is an offshoot of the annual Toys and Gift Fair, a Christmas trade exhibition by the Philippine Center for International Trade and Exhibit (PhilCite) first organized in the 1976. In the 1990s under Fred Elizalde, the fair evolved into an amusement park. The new park was named Star City.
70 percent of the facilities of Star City are covered and air-conditioned. The amusement park introduced various types of rides and attractions in the Philippines. It pioneered the double-deck carousel, 360-degree-loop roller coaster (the Zyklon Loop), and water log ride (the Jungle Splash) in the country. It hosts Snow World, the largest permanent ice entertainment area in the country, which features ice carvings, a snow play area and the country's longest ice slide. Another attraction in the amusement park is the inverted roller coaster Star Flyer.
Star City is the home of the Giant Star Wheel Ferris wheel. It has 32 air-conditioned gondolas, each seating up to six persons. In 2012 it was said to be the tallest Ferris wheel in the Philippines. Conflicting reports credit it with a height of 60 m (197 ft) and 62.5 m (205 ft) tall.
Within the amusement park complex are the Aliw and Star Theaters, with a combined seating capacity of 4,000.
- "Star City (Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines)".
- Sanchez, Volts (January–April 2015). "A pioneering amusement park shines bright in any season". PANA AdEdge. Philippine Association of National Advertisers. 11 (1): 46–47.
- "Giant Star Wheel - The Official Website of Star City".
- "PH's 'highest' ferris wheel is in Pasay". ABS-CBN. 28 November 2012.
- "Star City claims its Giant Wheel is "highest Ferris wheel in PH," has 32 air-conditioned gondolas". Spot. 28 November 2012.