Suriname at the 2012 Summer Olympics
|Suriname at the
2012 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Suriname Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||5 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Chinyere Pigot (opening)
Kirsten Nieuwendam (closing)
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Five Surinamese athletes, three men and two women, were selected to the team, competing only in track and field, badminton, and swimming. All of them received their spots by wild card entries, without having qualified. Freestyle swimmer Chinyere Pigot, an accounting student at the University of Connecticut, was Suriname's flag bearer at the opening ceremony.
Suriname has selected 2 athletes by a wildcard.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
|Jurgen Themen||100 m||10.55||1 Q||10.53||6||Did not advance|
|Kirsten Nieuwendam||200 m||24.07||8||Did not advance|
Suriname was given a wild card.
|Athlete||Event||Group Stage||Elimination||Quarterfinal||Semifinal||Final / BM|
|Virgil Soeroredjo||Men's singles|| Sasaki (JPN)
L 7–21, 12–21
|2||Did not advance|
|Diguan Pigot||100 m breaststroke||1:05.55||43||Did not advance|
|Chinyere Pigot||50 m freestyle||26.30||40||Did not advance|
- "Badminton Men's Singles Olympic Selection". BWF. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "UConn Swimmers to Represent Suriname at Olympics". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
|This article about sports in Suriname is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2012 Olympics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|