|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Tank Abbott article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
||It is requested that an image or photograph be included in this article to improve its quality. Please replace this template with a more specific media request template where possible.
The Free Image Search Tool may be able to locate suitable images on Flickr and other web sites.
I've cleaned up this article. I'll leave the neutrality/cleanup tags on for a few days and if no one has any issues I'll remove them.Trench 19:58, August 15, 2005 (UTC)
- Content has been edited and neutrality tag is removed. Shawnc 11:18, 20 August 2005 (UTC)
UFC was reporting his record as something like 16-3. Why are they reporting something so drastically different than what's listed on the page?220.127.116.11 04:54, 23 February 2007 (UTC)
answer people are changing his record for shiz and giggles, Abbots record is 9 wins 14 losses, use sherdog.com to verify.
It's the name he fights and wrestles under, and is the most common google search result. He is not known by his middle initial. McPhail 17:51, 2 October 2005 (UTC)
I have moved this article from David "Tank" Abbott to David Abbott (Mixed martial artist) before because "Tank" was his nickname so that I thought it should not be contained in the name of the title. I have a question.Do you think it is suitable that the title can contain middle name of people like David "L" Abbott. In my oppinion, I suggest to move this article again from David L. Abbott to David Abbott (mixed martial artist) because that edition looks more natural. Yappakoredesho 21:04, 6 October 2005 (UTC)
If anyone still wants to move the page please post here. Shawnc 09:15, 18 October 2005 (UTC)
I am in favor of moving to David Abbott (mixed martial artist). Reason 1: Google indicates that "David L. Abbott" or ""David L Abbott" is not commonly used to refer to this individual. Search ("David Abbott" Tank) returns 611 hits. Search ("David L Abbott" Tank) returns 20 hits. Reason 2:I am familiar with "David Abbott" but not "David L Abbott", nor have I heard of this reference.Shawnc 09:41, 18 October 2005 (UTC) Or maybe David Abbott (fighter), since the guy seems to have fought in more street brawls than professional matches. Does he even consider himself to be a "martial artist"? Shawnc 07:40, 19 October 2005 (UTC)
Tank is David Abbott's nick name, isnt it? I think Tank should not be in the title of article. The name of this article should be
- David Abbott (mixed martial artist)
- David Abbott (professional wrestler)
- David Abbott (fighter)
one of above three titles. --Yappakoredesho 20:53, 3 December 2005 (UTC)
- Nicknames are acceptable, according to this guideline:"The most used name to refer to a person is generally the one that Wikipedia will choose as page name, even if this sounds awkward for those seeing the name the first time." (Didn't you create Musashi (kickboxer)? That's a nickname too).
- Google test:
- "David Abbott" +MMA (628 hits)
- "Tank Abbott" +MMA -"David Tank Abbott" -"David Abbott" (15,100 hits).
- Which name would other readers prefer? Shawnc 14:49, 4 December 2005 (UTC)
Fight vs. Kimbo Slice
Someone needs to provide a link for the official announcement of this fight because other than the promoters saying "yeah this fight needs to happen" there's really no evidence. Especially since whoever added that part in made it sound so matter of fact. - Billy Button
November 10 on Showtime in the EliteXC Organization. Link http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2007/slice_signs_with_elitexc.html - KarWrek —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 01:41, 22 October 2007 (UTC) Here's the
The press was NOT improperly done. It was not done in a sanctioned powerlifting competition, it was done in the gym. If you have ever seen powerlifters work out, they often "bounce" when benching. Try it if you think it's much easier. The point is that they're working explosiveness. DB Dec 2, 2005
Fake plates. he admited..
Requested move (June 2007)
Pitfighting is NOT a fighting style. Its a another term to described MMA aka Vale Tudo aka Freestyle fighting which is a SPORT which contains a variety of FIGHTING STYLES.
His style could accurately be described as 'Brawling' since he generally expresses no characteristics of the 'traditional' martial arts when fighting.—Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs)
- Abbott can call his style anything he wants to, there is no authority that judges what constitutes a valid style in or out of martial arts. Using another term would tread too close to original research unless we find someone else's expert opinion on the subject. hateless 02:40, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
- Actually the wikipedia page on Abbot is wrong on this point but for another reason. Tank Abbot himself, said in UFC 11, and I quote from the DVD at 06:05 during an interview with Don Wison Don: "You're billing yourself as the street fighter" Tank replies "It's more aptly put that I'm a street fighter, not some made up name like 'pit fighting' that some other people came up with'. So that's that. Tank Abott never said he was a pitfighter, he said he was a street fighter. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 20:30, 9 August 2008 (UTC)
Boxing and Wrestling Claims
The claims made about Abbotts wrestling and boxing credentials are unsourced and, I think, dubious. I would prefer that information to be properly referenced to some credible source rather than just stated. It appears like the author got it from somewhere, so I'd just like to see it.188.8.131.52 (talk) 22:47, 15 August 2008 (UTC)