Thaanaa Serndha Koottam
|Thaanaa Serndha Koottam|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vignesh Shivan|
|Produced by||K. E. Gnanavel Raja|
|Written by||Vignesh Shivan|
by Neeraj Pandey
|Music by||Anirudh Ravichander|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
|Distributed by||Bharathan Films|
Thaanaa Serndha Koottam (translation: A Crowd that gathered by itself), is a 2018 Indian Tamil language heist comedy film, directed by Vignesh Shivan and produced by K. E. Gnanavel Raja. The film is an adaptation of the 2013 Hindi film Special 26, which was inspired by the 1987 Opera House heist in Mumbai. The film stars Suriya and Keerthy Suresh in the lead roles, with a supporting cast including Karthik, Ramya Krishnan, Senthil and Suresh Chandra Menon. Featuring music composed by Anirudh Ravichander and cinematography by Dinesh Krishnan, the film had a worldwide theatrical release on 12 January 2018.
The story is inspired from a real-life incident in 1987 when a group posing as CBI raided a jewelry showroom in Mumbai and stole money from there. All the events in this movie happen in the period of 1986–1987. The film begins with Pallavaram Paranjothi Pandian (RJ Balaji) attending an interview for a clerk's post and getting rejected due to lack of money for giving bribe to the officials. Now the story shifts to Nachinarkkniyan aka Iniyan (Suriya) attending CBI interviews, and his friend (Kalaiyarasan) attending police interviews. Both get rejected due to lack of bribe money for the post. We are shown Iniyan's father Porchelvan (Thambi Ramaiah) working as a CBI office clerk. However, he wants his son to be an officer, hence he pleads for the posting for his son to his higher officials. He asks for recommendation. However he earned the wrath of his senior official officer Uthaman (Suresh Chandra Menon), who is a corrupt official. Once during a raid, he asks for money. Porchelvan didn't approve of this approach, and he complains about Uthaman in the form of an anonymous letter. Uthaman comes to know about this and exacts revenge by purposely rejecting and humiliating Iniyan at the interview, and later asks him to bribe in order to get the job. Iniyan and his father are dejected, and Iniyan's friend is also dejected due to his failure in the interview. He commits suicide suspecting his wife (Meera Mitun) eloped with some other guy. In reality, his wife was late due to her visit to the temple. Iniyan is very much depressed after all these events, and hence he decides to loot money from the rich and corrupted people. Especially, he loots black money and tries to reform society, making sure that the deserved people get posting in the government departments. He forms a gang with him and starts to heist by posing as CBI and income tax officers.
- Suriya as Nachinarkiniyan (Iniyan) / Uthaman
- Karthik as Kurunjivendhan
- Keerthy Suresh as Madhu
- Ramya Krishnan as Azhagu Meena / Jhansi Rani
- Nandha as Vetrivel
- Kalaiyarasan as Iniyan's friend
- RJ Balaji as 'Pallavaram' Paranjothi Pandian
- Senthil as KP
- Sathyan as Muthukumar "Muthu"
- Suresh Chandra Menon as Uthaman (voice over by Gautham Vasudev Menon)
- Thambi Ramaiah as Porchelvan
- Brahmanandam as a Telugu income tax officer
- Anandaraj as Kuthalingam (Gandhi Appa)
- Sudhakar as Azhagu Meena's husband
- Sivasankar as Ondiveeran "Ondi"
- Nirosha as Kuthalingam's wife
- Vinodhini as Mangaiyakarasi
- Yogi Babu as Narayanan
- Bala Singh as Gunasekaran
- Venkatesh Harinathan as Kapil Gavaskar
- Gadam Kishan as Kapil Gavaskar's brother
- Meera Mitun as Iniyan's friend's wife
Following the success of Neeraj Pandey's Special 26 (2013), the director revealed that he was approached by several film makers who were keen on producing a Tamil version of the film. Linguswamy subsequently bought the rights of the film and planned to produce the venture in collaboration with Friday Filmworks, who had made the original version. Linguswamy held initial discussions with Kamal Haasan, Suriya, Karthi and Vikram about portraying the film's lead role with Sathyaraj, but the production failed to materialise. In August 2014, producer Thiagarajan announced that he had purchased the Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada language rights to remake Special 26, and revealed that he would also direct all four ventures. Thiagarajan's son Prashanth was revealed to be playing the lead role in the Tamil version, while Prakash Raj and Sathyaraj were signed to portray supporting roles. A further press release in March 2015 stated that Srikanth Ravichandran, then husband of television host Divyadarshini, would instead direct the film and that he had already begun work on planning music compositions with Thaman. The team also revealed that they had signed on actress Trisha to feature in the leading female role. After a period of little development, Prashanth revealed to the media in September 2015 that the film's shoot would commence soon after with Madhesh as the director of the project.
A press release in December 2015 suggested that Simran and Devayani would also be a part of the cast, while Jacqueline Fernandez would appear in a song. It was also stated that Anirudh Ravichander had been signed on to compose the film's music and Sreekar Prasad would be the film's editor. Thiagarajan revealed that he would adapt the original film's script and dialogues to suit a Tamil audience and that filming would take place in Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai. The film failed to materialise over 2016 and it was widely reported in the media that the remake rights of the original film had been transferred from Thiagarajan to Studio Green and the film was to be made as Thaana Serndha Kootam by Vignesh Shivan with Suriya in the lead role. The title was taken from a dialogue spoken by Rajinikanth in Baashha (1995).
However in an interview during February 2017, Thiagarajan insisted that the film was still being planned with Prashanth in the lead role. In late 2017, Thiagarajan made an application seeking an interim stay of the film's release, claiming that his studio of Staar Movies still owned the film's rights. He stated that Staar Movies had entered into an agreement with the original producers, Viacom, in August 2014 and obtained the rights to remake the movie in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada and that the agreement was valid for a period of three years. In early January 2018, the High Court refused the interim order application and called for the issues to be decided in a civil claim.
Vignesh Shivan agreed to work on Thaanaa Serndha Koottam at short notice, after another project, Kaathu Vaakkula Rendu Kadhal with Vijay Sethupathi became delayed. Studio Green's K. E. Gnanavel Raja asked Vignesh to do a project to star Suriya and the team chose to use an earlier script planned by Vignesh on the 1987 Opera House heist, like Special 26, where a group posing as Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officers executed an income tax raid on the jeweller in Mumbai, which he initially wanted to make with either actors Sivakarthikeyan or Vijay Sethupathi. The team claimed to legally purchase the remake rights of Special 26, but instead of copying the film scene-by-scene, Vignesh was insistent that it was adapted to make it suitable for Tamil-speaking audiences. The film was announced to the public in September 2016, with the shoot starting thereafter in October 2016. Keerthy Suresh was signed on as the lead actress, while an ensemble cast of veteran actors including Ramya Krishnan, Suresh Chandra Menon, Senthil and Sudhakar were also a part of the first schedule.
The film was predominantly shot across Chennai and Mysore, with the shoot finishing in August 2017. Post-production works for the film were completed at Knack Studios in Chennai. The film was also dubbed in Telugu as Gang, with Suriya choosing to dub for himself in Telugu for the first time.
|Thaanaa Serndha Koottam|
|Soundtrack album by Anirudh Ravichander|
|Released||3 January 2018|
|Anirudh Ravichander chronology|
|Singles from Thaana Serndha Koottam|
The soundtrack and background score of the film were composed by Anirudh Ravichander, collaborating for the first time with Suriya, with lyrics for songs written by Thamarai, Vignesh Shivan and Mani Amudhavan. The team released four single tracks, before the album was unveiled on 3 January 2018. The promotional song for "Sodakku" included members of the film's cast as well as Sheril, who rose to fame with her dance cover of the song "Entammede Jimikki Kammal" from Velipadinte Pusthakam (2017). A critic from Behindwoods.com noted "Anirudh's magical combination with Vignesh Shivan continues as the album shines high on variety", and gave the album a rating of 3.25 out of 5 stars. Another reviewer from The Times of India wrote "Anirudh and Vignesh's combination has worked again – and the composer only proves, time and again, to experiment and give some fine tracks for each album he works on".
The song "Sodakku" attracted controversy after an AIADMK office bearer, Sathish Kumar, lodged a complaint with the Commissioner of Police seeking changes in the lyrics, which he claimed were offensive and anti-political. Kumar's claims were widely criticised by those in the film industry, with RJ Balaji speaking out against the complaint.
|1.||"Naana Thaanaa"||Vignesh Shivan||Anirudh Ravichander||4:20|
|2.||"Sodakku"||Mani Amudhavan, Vignesh Shivan||Anthony Daasan||4:00|
|3.||"Peela Peela"||Vignesh Shivan||Jassie Gift, Nakash Aziz, Mali||3:44|
|4.||"Thaanaa Serndha Koottam"||Vignesh Shivan||Anirudh Ravichander, Vignesh Shivan||4:05|
|5.||"Engae Endru Povathu"||Thamarai||Anirudh Ravichander, Shakthisree Gopalan||4:50|
- "Thaana Serndha Koottam (Thana Serntha Koottam) Tamil Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers, Thaana Serndha Koottam 2018 – Filmibeat". FilmiBeat. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Thaanaa Serndha Koottam movie review: Refreshing to see Suriya back in form in this heist caper". Firstpost. 12 January 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Suriya's 'TSK' not a scene by scene remake of 'Special 26', director clarifies". 21 December 2017. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
...the director revealed that it is not an exact remake. Only the core theme of the film has been retained while the rest has been changed to suit the nativity of the audiences...
- Doctor, Vikram (22 February 2013). "Story of unsolved opera house burglary in Mumbai, Rs 30-L heist amused everyone by its slick execution". Retrieved 27 December 2017 – via The Economic Times.
- "Lingusamy interested in Bollywood remake!, N. Lingusamy, Tirupathi Brothers". www.behindwoods.com. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Kajal's 'Special 26' to be remade down South? - Times of India". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Vikram approaced for Special 26 Remake ?". 11 April 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "'Special 26' to have four South remakes". 3 November 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Special 26 comes to South – Bangalore Mirror -". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "- Tamil Movie News – IndiaGlitz.com". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Prashanth confirms 'Special 26' Tamil remake". The Times of India. 21 September 2015. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Anirudh will be the music director of 26, the Tamil remake of Special 26". 25 December 2015. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Prashanth to bounce back with a super hit Bollywood remake – Tamil Movie News – IndiaGlitz.com". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Thaanaa Serndha Koottam- A remake of Special 26?". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "'Prashanth will re-enter B'wood with Naan remake'". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "HC clears decks for Suriya film". 6 January 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "'Gang's' remake rights dispute settled – Times of India". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Actor Suriya talks about Thaana Serndha Koottam's Kamal Haasan connect". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Thaanaa Serndha Koottam is not a scene-by-scene remake of Special 26: Director Vignesh Shivan- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Suriya's 'TSK' not a scene by scene remake of 'Special 26', director clarifies". 21 December 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- Desk, Internet (6 September 2016). "Vignesh Shivan's next with Suriya". Retrieved 23 March 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Suriya's next titled as 'Thaanaa Serndha Koottam' – Times of India". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Ramya Krishnan lands crucial role in Suriya's next". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Thaana Serndha Kootam nearing completion". 19 August 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- Ians (13 March 2017). "Suriya's 'Thaana Serndha Kootam' nearing completion". Retrieved 23 March 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Suriya's dubbing diaries". 8 January 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Suriya impressed by Vignesh Shivan's narration and screenplay for 'Gang' - Times of India". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Thaanaa Serndha Koottam (aka) TSK Songs review". 4 January 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Music Review: Thaana Serndha Koottam – Times of India". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Suriya's 'Sodakku' song from 'Thaana Serntha Kootam' in trouble". 6 January 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Chiyaan Vikram's Saamy Square eyes Ramzan weekend release on 14 June". Firstpost. Retrieved 10 January 2018.