The Right Stuff (TV series)
|The Right Stuff|
|Based on||The Right Stuff|
by Tom Wolfe
|Country of origin||United States|
|Original network||National Geographic|
The Right Stuff takes a "gritty, anti-nostalgic look at what would become America's first reality show as the obsessive original Mercury Seven astronauts and their families become instant celebrities in a competition that will either kill them or make them immortal. The one-hour drama will follow the protagonists from the Mojave Desert to the edges of space, with future seasons carrying through to humankind’s greatest achievement: the moon landing."
Cast and characters
- Jake McDorman as Alan Shepard
- Michael Trotter as Gus Grissom
- Patrick J. Adams as John Glenn
- James Lafferty as Scott Carpenter
- Aaron Staton as Wally Schirra
- Colin O'Donoghue as Gordon Cooper
- Micah Stock as Deke Slayton
- Shannon Lucio as Louise Shepard
- Rachel Burttram as Betty Grissom
- Nora Zehetner as Annie Glenn
- Jade Albany Pietrantonio as Rene Carpenter
- Laura Ault as Jo Schirra
- Eloise Mumford as Trudy Cooper
- Victoria White as Marge Slayton
- Josh Cooke as Loudon Wainwright Jr.
- Patrick Fischler as Bob Gilruth
- Eric Ladin as Chris Kraft
- Jackson Pace as Glynn Lunney
- Danny Strong as John A. Powers
On July 25, 2017, it was announced that National Geographic was partnering with Appian Way Productions and Warner Horizon Television to option the screen rights to Tom Wolfe's 1979 novel The Right Stuff. The series was set to be written by Will Staples who was also expected to executive produce alongside Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.
On February 10, 2019, it was announced during the Television Critics Association's annual winter press tour that National Geographic had given the production a series order. David Nutter was expected to direct the premiere episode. Additional executive producers were set to include Mark Lafferty and Lizzie Mickery with Lafferty also serving as showrunner.
On May 31, 2019, Patrick J. Adams had been cast in the series lead role of John Glenn. On June 14, 2019, Jake McDorman and Colin O'Donoghue were cast as Alan Shepard and Gordon Cooper, respectively. On June 21, 2019, Eric Ladin, Patrick Fischler, Nora Zehetner, Eloise Mumford, Shannon Lucio, and Josh Cooke joined the cast.  On August 19, 2019, Danny Strong was cast as NASA Spokesman John A. "Shorty" Powers.
- "National Geographic Taps Patrick J. Adams as Maj. John Glenn in Global Scripted Series "The Right Stuff," Based on Tom Wolfe's Best-Seller". The Futon Critic. May 31, 2019.
- White, Peter (February 10, 2019). "Nat Geo Hands Series Order To Adaptation Of Tom Wolfe's 'The Right Stuff' From Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 25, 2017). "Nat Geo Teams With Leonardo DiCaprio To Adapt 'The Right Stuff' As Scripted Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2019-05-31). "Patrick J. Adams To Star As John Glenn In Nat Geo Astronaut Drama Series 'The Right Stuff'". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- lannucci, Rebecca (June 14, 2019). "The Right Stuff: Jake McDorman, GoT Alum Board Nat Geo's NASA Series". TVLine. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
- Petski, Denise; Petski, Denise (2019-07-12). "'The Right Stuff': Colin O'Donoghue To Star In Nat Geo Series In Recasting". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (2019-06-21). "'The Right Stuff': Eric Ladin, Patrick Fischler, Nora Zehetner, Eloise Mumford, Shannon Lucio & Josh Cooke Cast In Nat Geo Series". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- Petski, Rick; Porter, Rick (2019-08-19). "Danny Strong Joins Nat Geo's 'Right Stuff' Series (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-08-19.