Tho Xuan Airport
|Thọ Xuân Airport
Sân bay Thọ Xuân
Cảng hàng không Thọ Xuân
|Operator||Vietnam People's Air Force|
|Elevation AMSL||m / 73 ft|
Thọ Xuân Airport, formerly Sao Vàng Airport (Vietnamese: Sân bay Sao Vàng, Vietnamese: Sân bay Thọ Xuân) (also known as Thanh Hoá Air Base or Bái Thượng Air Base), is an airport located in Sao Vàng town in Thọ Xuân District, Thanh Hóa Province, 45 km northwest of the provincial capital Thanh Hóa. The airport is currently operated by Vietnam People's Air Force (VPAF).
This airport handled 90,000 passengers in 2013, 160,000 passengers in 2014 and is estimated to serve 550,000 passengers in 2015, an increase of more than 300%
The air base was built in 1968 and was used as a forward staging bases with MiGs temporarily deployed from other VPAF bases..
The base is home to the VPAF 923rd Fighter-bomber Squadron operating the Sukhoi Su-30MKK.
The government of Vietnam implemented an upgrading project to add more civil facilities in order to turn the airport into a mixed civilian/military airport in early 2013. It is planned to become a relief airport for Hanoi's Noi Bai International Airport.
Airlines and destinations
|VietJet Air||Ho Chi Minh City |
|Vietnam Airlines||Ho Chi Minh City|
|Jetstar Pacific Airlines||Buon Ma Thuot, Ho Chi Minh City|
- "Vietnam Airlines adds Thanh Hóa as its new domestic destination". Anna.aero. 13 February 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Kết quả sản xuất kinh doanh của ACV: Năm 2015 sản lượng hành khách thông qua cảng đạt trên 63 triệu lượt, tăng 24,2% so với năm 2014". ACV. 2016-01-19.
- "Cảng Hàng không Thọ Xuân đón hành khách thứ 330.000 (Tho Xuan Airport served the 330.000th passenger in 2015" (in Vietnamese). VTV. 2015-08-06.
- Toperczer, Istvan (2001). MiG-21 Units of the Vietnam War. Osprey Publishing. p. 74. ISBN 1-84176-263-6.
- Thompson, Wayne (2003). To Hanoi and Back: The United States Air Force and North Vietnam 1966-1973. Government Printing Office. p. 226.
- "Legends of Vietnam: Shoulder to Shoulder". Smithsonian Air & Space Magazine. May 2009. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Vietnam Airlines mở đường bay TP. Hồ Chí Minh - Thanh Hóa trước Tết (Vietnam Airlines will launch Ho Chi Minh City-Thanh Hoa air route before Tet)". Ministry of Transport of Vietnam. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Government to implement three airport projects on Vietnamnet.net
- Thanh Hoa told to rethink civil airport project Saigon Times
|This article about a Vietnamese airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|