Totteridge & Whetstone tube station
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Totteridge & Whetstone|
Location of Totteridge & Whetstone in Greater London
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1940||Started (Northern line)|
|1962||Goods yard closed|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal|
Totteridge & Whetstone (//) is a London Underground station in Whetstone of the London Borough of Barnet, North London. The station is the penultimate one on the High Barnet branch of the Northern line, between Woodside Park and High Barnet stations, in Travelcard Zone 4.
The station is on the northern side of Totteridge Lane (A5109), somewhat to the east of the Dollis Brook (the traditional boundary between Totteridge and Whetstone) hence is in Whetstone.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2015)
The Totteridge & Whetstone station was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened as Whetstone and Totteridge on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR). The station was on a branch of a line whose main part ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.
After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 1923, part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project which begun in the late 1930s. Totteridge and Whetstone station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940 and, after a period where the station was serviced by both operators, LNER services ended in 1941.
The Station today
The station still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today. The station is not wheelchair accessible owing to flights of stairs to both the northbound and southbound platforms.
The station has recently undergone subtle redevelopment to be in keeping with TFL’s rule of no ticket offices. These redevelopments gave the station an automatic double wide access disabled and buggy friendly barrier, to replace the old manual one, and also replacing the ticket office with a help desk. The station is not often manned but is during peak hours. The redevelopment has left the station with a ticket hall, four gates,two toilets(a female toilet on the southbound platform and a male toilet on the northbound platform), payphones, a car park, & waiting rooms.
Services and connections
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Totteridge & Whetstone tube station.|
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. March 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Underground: The Journal of the London Underground Railway Society" (PDF) (12). December 1962: p. 7. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Transport for London (December 2017). Standard Tube Map (PDF) (Map). Not to scale. Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 16 January 2018.
- Google Maps - Totteridge and Whetstone Tube Station
- Clive's Underground Line Guides - Northern Line, Dates
- Rose, Douglas (1999). The London Underground, A Diagrammatic History. Douglas Rose/Capital Transport. ISBN 1-85414-219-4.
- Railfanning London's Railways - Northern line
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2015.
- Totteridge & Whetstone Underground Station
- "Northern line timetable: From Totteridge & Whetstone Underground Station to High Barnet Underground Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Northern line timetable: From Totteridge & Whetstone Underground Station to Woodside Park Underground Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Buses from Totteridge & Whetstone" (PDF). Transport for London. 26 July 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- Totteridge & Whetstone Underground Station - Bus
- Whetstone High Road/Friern Barnet Lane - Bus
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|