Tracking (commercial airline flight)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Flight Tracking is an activity by enthusiasts or concerned citizens. Tracking is not limited to aircraft activity; it can also include airport activity. Flight tracking via software is a relatively new activity.
Flight/airline tracking, that is the use of flight trackers has been growing due to the obvious reason to know whether a flight has safely landed or whether everything goes according to the schedule so it is the time to go to the airport.
With development of cell phones and other small PDA devices, flight trackers have become a must-have for people who are concerned about arrivals and departures of airplanes. Modern trackers can track airlines virtually all around the world and inform concerned parties via such commonplace mediums as SMS. The integration of flight tracking into travel management and travel tracking services is a new frontier, allowing increased automation of travel software. This application of flight tracking is currently in its infancy, but is set to grow significantly as systems get more connected.
Despite all the progress, many abrupt events like sudden weather changes are not captured by existing flight trackers because they take their information not from the airplane itself but from dispatcher centers which often do not know the actual status of plane's whereabouts.
List of flight tracking services
|OpenSky Network||2012 ||includes free live API, research initiative|
|FlightAware||2005 ||includes API / data feeds |
|Plane Finder||2013 ||owned by Pinkfroot |
|RadarBox24||2010||owned by AirNav Systems|
|FlightView||1996 ||Sold to OAG in 2015 |
- Radar tracker - the process by which air tracks are formed from radar detections
- Bailey, Jeff. , The New York Times, November 15, 2007.
- "OpenSky Network - About". Archived from the original on 2016-02-16. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "The OpenSky Network REST API on github". Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- "FlightAware - about". Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "FlightXML: Flight Tracking API". Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- "Live ADS-B Flight Data Feed (Worldwide)". Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- "FlightRadar24 - about". Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Plane Finder". Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "pinkfroot". Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "FlightView - about". Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "OAG Takes Lead in Flight Status Market Through FlightView Acquisition". Archived from the original on 2015-05-12. Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- "VariFlight - about". Retrieved 2018-04-17.
|This aviation-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|