Vijay S. Pande
|Vijay S. Pande|
A 2012 portrait of Vijay Pande
|Fields||Chemistry, computational biology, molecular biology|
|Alma mater||Langley High School
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of California, Berkeley
|Academic advisors||Philip Anderson, Daniel S. Rokhsar|
|Notable students||Jeremy England, Guha Jayachandran|
|Known for||Folding@home, Genome@home|
|Notable awards||Bárány Award (2012)
DeLano Award (2015)
Vijay S. Pande is a biomedical scientist and a Stanford University professor of chemistry, structural biology, and computer science. Vijay S. Pande is the Director of the Biophysics Program and is best known for orchestrating the disease research project called Folding@home distributed computing. His research is focused on distributed computing and computer-modelling of microbiology. His current research focuses on improving computer simulations regarding drug-binding, protein design, and synthetic bio-mimetic polymers. Pande became the ninth general partner at venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz in November 2015.
Pande graduated from Langley High School's class of 1988 while growing up in McLean Virginia. In 1992, Pande received his B.A. in Physics from Princeton University. He received academic advice from Nobel laureate Philip Anderson, T. Tanaka, and A. Grosberg for his BA and PhD theses on physics. MIT awarded him a PhD after his thesis in 1995.
The protein-folding computer simulations from the Folding@home project is said to be "quantitatively" comparable to real-world experimental results. The method for this yield has been called a "holy grail" in computational biology.
Pande directed the Genome@home project with the goal to understand the nature of genes and proteins by virtually designing new forms of them. Genome@home started to close as early as March 2004, after accumulating a large database of protein sequences.
The software involved is open sourced with GPL, LGPL, and BSD licenses.
In 2002, he was named a Frederick E. Terman Fellow and an award recipient of MIT's TR100. The following year, he was awarded the Henry and Camile Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar award. In 2004, he received a Technovator award from Global Indus Technovators in its Biotech/Med/Healthcare category. In 2006, Pande was awarded the Irving Sigal Young Investigator Award from the Protein Society. In 2008, he was named "Netxplorateur of 2008". Also in 2008 he was given the Thomas Kuhn Paradigm Shift Award and became a Fellow of the American Physical Society. Pande received the 2012 Michael and Kate Bárány Award for developing computational models for protein and RNA. He is the second person to ever win both the "Protein Society Young Investigator Award" and "Biophysical Society Young Investigator" award. In 2015 Pande received the DeLano Award for Computational Biosciences as well as the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Distinguished Chair in Chemistry.
Pande's ten most-cited works are:
- Snow, C. D.; Nguyen, H.; Pande, V. S.; Gruebele, M. (2002). "Absolute comparison of simulated and experimental protein-folding dynamics". Nature 420 (6911): 102–106. doi:10.1038/nature01160. PMID 12422224.
- Sorin, E. J.; Pande, V. S. (2005). "Exploring the Helix-Coil Transition via All-Atom Equilibrium Ensemble Simulations". Biophysical Journal 88 (4): 2472–2493. doi:10.1529/biophysj.104.051938. PMC 1305346. PMID 15665128.
- Du, R.; Pande, V. S.; Grosberg, A. Y.; Tanaka, T.; Shakhnovich, E. S. (1998). "On the transition coordinate for protein folding". The Journal of Chemical Physics 108: 334. Bibcode:1998JChPh.108..334D. doi:10.1063/1.475393.
- Shirts, M.; Pande, V. S. (2000). "COMPUTING: Screen Savers of the World Unite!". Science 290 (5498): 1903–1904. doi:10.1126/science.290.5498.1903. PMID 17742054.
- Kohn, J. E. (2004). "Random-coil behavior and the dimensions of chemically unfolded proteins". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101 (34): 12491–12496. doi:10.1073/pnas.0403643101.
- Pande, V. S.; Rokhsar, D. S. (1999). "Molecular dynamics simulations of unfolding and refolding of a beta-hairpin fragment of protein G". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 96 (16): 9062–9067. doi:10.1073/pnas.96.16.9062. PMC 17732. PMID 10430895.
- Pande, V. S.; Baker, I.; Chapman, J.; Elmer, S. P.; Khaliq, S.; Larson, S. M.; Rhee, Y. M.; Shirts, M. R.; Snow, C. D.; Sorin, E. J.; Zagrovic, B. (2003). "Atomistic protein folding simulations on the submillisecond time scale using worldwide distributed computing". Biopolymers 68 (1): 91–109. doi:10.1002/bip.10219. PMID 12579582.
- Shirts, M. R.; Pitera, J. W.; Swope, W. C.; Pande, V. S. (2003). "Extremely precise free energy calculations of amino acid side chain analogs: Comparison of common molecular mechanics force fields for proteins". The Journal of Chemical Physics 119 (11): 5740. Bibcode:2003JChPh.119.5740S. doi:10.1063/1.1587119.
- Zagrovic, B.; Snow, C. D.; Shirts, M. R.; Pande, V. S. (2002). "Simulation of folding of a small alpha-helical protein in atomistic detail using worldwide-distributed computing". Journal of Molecular Biology 323 (5): 927–937. doi:10.1016/S0022-2836(02)00997-X. PMID 12417204.
- Pande, V. S.; Grosberg, A. U.; Tanaka, T.; Rokhsar, D. S. (1998). "Pathways for protein folding: Is a new view needed?". Current Opinion in Structural Biology 8 (1): 68–79. doi:10.1016/s0959-440x(98)80012-2. PMID 9519298.
- "The Setup / Vijay Pande". 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "Stanford University - Vijay Pande". Stanford University. 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- "About Me". 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- "Andreessen Horowitz Launches $200 Million Biotech Software Fund Led By New Partner Vijay Pande". Forbes. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- "Vijay Pande - Technology Review". Technology Review. 2002. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Pande Group (2011). "Folding@home - Awards". Stanford University. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "Vijay Pande". Facebook. 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "Vijay Pande". Stanford University. 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- G. Bowman; V. Volez & V. S. Pande (2011). "Taming the complexity of protein folding". Current Opinion in Structural Biology 21 (1): 4–11. doi:10.1016/j.sbi.2010.10.006. PMC 3042729. PMID 21081274.
- "Bio-X Stanford University: Vijay Pande". Bio-X Stanford University. 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Genome@home Updates". 2002-03-04. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Pande Group. "Genome@home FAQ" (FAQ). Stanford University. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Pande Group Software". Stanford University. 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Vijay Pande (June 29, 2012). "Re: Protein Folding Conference (F@h and experiments)". Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "ASBMB News: 2015 ASBMB award winners". Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Stanford Department of Chemistry Faculty". Stanford University. 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- "Vijay Pande - Google Scholar Citations". Google. March 22, 2013. Retrieved March 22, 2013.