|Member of the Philippine House of Representatives from Akbayan Partylist|
June 30, 2007 – March 16, 2015
|Professor of Sociology and Public Administration at University of the Philippines|
|Alma mater||Ateneo de Manila University, Princeton University|
Walden Bello (born 1945) is a Filipino author, academic, political analyst, and former member of the House of Representatives of the Philippines. He is a professor of sociology and public administration at the University of the Philippines Diliman, as well as executive director of Focus on the Global South. Born in Manila, Philippines, he became a political activist following the declaration of Martial Law by then-President Ferdinand Marcos on September 21, 1972.
Walden Bello is the founding director of Focus on the Global South, a policy research institute based in Bangkok, Thailand. Prior to that he was executive director of the Institute for Food and Development Policy (Food First) in Oakland, California. Educated at Princeton University, where he did his PhD in sociology in 1975, he subsequently taught at the University of California, Berkeley, where he was a research associate with the Center for South East Asian Studies. He is also a guest professor at Binghamton University, where his lectures focus predominantly on issues of globalization.
In 2003, Bello was awarded the Right Livelihood Award, whose website describes him as "one of the leading critics of the current model of economic globalization, combining the roles of intellectual and activist." Bello is also a fellow of the Transnational Institute (based in Amsterdam), and is a columnist for Foreign Policy in Focus. In March 2008 he was named Outstanding Public Scholar for 2008 by the International Studies Association.
- Bello, Walden; Rosenfeld, Stephanie (1990). Dragons in distress: Asia's miracle economies in crisis. San Francisco: Institute for Food and Development Policy. ISBN 9780935028553.
- Bello, Walden; Cunningham, Shea; Li, Kheng Po (1999). A Siamese tragedy: Development & disintegration in Modern Thailand. Institute for Food and Development Policy/Food First Books. ISBN 9780935028744.
- Bello, Walden; Mittal, Anuradha (2001). The future in the balance: Essays on globalization and resistance. Oakland, California Chicago: Food First Books. ISBN 9780935028843.
- Bello, Walden (2004) . Deglobalization ideas for a new world economy (2nd ed.). Dhaka London New York: University Press Zed Books. ISBN 9781842775455.
- Bello, Walden (2009). The food wars. London New York: Verso. ISBN 9781844673315.
- Bello, Walden (2013). Capitalism's last stand?: Deglobalization in the age of austerity. London New York: Zed Books. ISBN 9781780320458.
- Bello, Walden (2009). "The global food price crisis". Pambazuka News.
- Bello, Walden (2009). "A man for this season? Keynes". Business Mirror.
- Bello, Walden (2009). "CARPER: Latest Chapter in Agri Reform Battle". Inquirer.net.
- Bello, Walden (2009). "Asia: The coming fury". Foreign Policy in Focus.
- Walden Bello's website
- Biographical information on Right Livelihood Award website
- Biographical information from the Transnational Institute
- Focus on the Global South