Wao, Lanao del Sur
Map of Lanao del Sur with Wao highlighted
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|Province||Lanao del Sur|
|Founded||January 19, 1954|
|• Mayor||Mr. Yoso|
|• Total||485.24 km2 (187.35 sq mi)|
|• Density||83/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Wao is also surrounded by Bumbaran in the north and west, Bukidnon in the east, and Cotabato to the south.
Wao is politically subdivided into 26+1 barangays.
- Cebuano Group
- Christian Village
- Eastern Wao
- Extension Poblacion
- Katutungan (Pob.)
- Kilikili East
- Kilikili West
- Manila Group
- Muslim Village
- Park Area (Pob.)
- Serran Village
- Western Wao (Pob.)
The LASEDECO resettle program of then-President Ramon Magsaysay made possible the foundation of Wao as a municipality in Lanao del Sur province in January 19, 1954. The first settlers in the area were sixty (60) families of various ethnicities from the then-undivided Cotabato province. Two among the 1st batch of settlers became the municipal mayors of Wao, namely Capt. Silverio Eleazar and Elvino B. Balicao, Sr. They were welcomed by the native Muslim inhabitants of Wao led by Sultan Mamaco Saripada, the municipality's first appointed and elected mayor, Datu Tao Pagul and Datu Maki Saripada.
Wao is a native place of Amai Mamco.
|Population census of Wao|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Sister Cities". Local Government of Quezon City. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- Philippine Census Information
|Alamada, Cotabato||Banisilan, Cotabato|
|This article about a location in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|