Wells Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Wells Township, Jefferson County, Ohio|
Hills east of Smithfield on State Route 151
Location of Wells Township in Jefferson County
|• Total||27.1 sq mi (70.2 km2)|
|• Land||27.1 sq mi (70.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||919 ft (280 m)|
|• Density||115.6/sq mi (44.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086390|
Wells Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,130 people in the township, 3,128 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Cross Creek Township - north
- Steubenville Township - northeast
- Warren Township - south
- Smithfield Township - west
- Wayne Township - northwest
Brooke County, West Virginia lies across the Ohio River to the east.
Name and history
It is the only Wells Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Doyle, Joseph Beatty (1910). 20th Century History of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company. p. 474.
- Hunter, W.H. (1900). "The Pathfinders of Jefferson County Supplementary to vol VI". Ohio Archaeological and Historical Publications. VIII: 226.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.