Black Lunch Table @
BU Arts Initiative
Mugar Memorial Library Exterior
|When and Where|
Friday, April 21, 2017|
2:30 pm – 5:30 pm EST|
Mugar Memorial Library|
with BU Arts Initiative
at Boston University
771 Commonwealth Avenue
Estin Room – 302
Boston, MA 02215
Sign up via Outreach Dashboard
Black Lunch Table Editathon at Boston University hosted by BU arts initiative. Mugar Memorial Library.
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) project will host an edit-a-thon at Mugar Library with BU Arts Intiative at Boston University from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm EST on Friday, April 21, 2017. This is the first of a two-day editathon, the second is on Saturday.
Join us for a morning of social Wikipedia editing! A training session will be held at 2:30pm but help is available throughout the event. Refreshments and skills will be provided. BRING YOUR LAPTOP and feel free to bring a friend!
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) project with the BU Arts Initiative at Boston University will create, update, and improve Wikipedia articles pertaining to the lives and works of visual artists from the African Diaspora living or working in the Boston area. Together we will create historical documents that respond to the urgent need for a reconstruction of the art historical record.
All are invited, with no specialized knowledge of the subject or Wikipedia editing experience required. A brief overview of the basics of Wikipedia editing will be given at the start of the edit-a-thon. We will have a library resources and a list of suggested artists, cultural creators, and institutions on hand.
History of The Black Lunch Table
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) is an ongoing collaboration between artists Jina Valentine (Fishantena (talk)) and Heather Hart (Heathart (talk)) which intends to fill holes in the documentation of contemporary art history. In its 10 year existence, the BLT has taken a variety of forms relating to this most recent iteration, in the form of the Wikipedia edit-a-thon. BLT’s aim is the production of discursive sites (at literal and metaphorical lunch tables), wherein cultural producers of color engage in critical dialogue on topics directly affecting our communities. They endeavor to create spaces, online and off, mirroring the activity and creativity present in sites where Blackness and Art are performed.
BU Arts Initiative
Our mission at the BU Arts Initiative is to ensure the integral role of the arts in the educational experience of every BU student. We support faculty, student, and staff projects, making sure the arts are deeply embedded within the cultural and intellectual fabric of the University.
In coordination with the Provost’s Arts Council, and with the support of our Student Advisory Council, we work to:
- Raise the visibility of and bring recognition to the breadth and excellence of the arts at BU
- Increase student access to and engagement with the arts at BU and in the Boston area, so that BU students develop an active and participatory role in the arts as a meaningful element of their BU experience
- Support integration of the arts into the curriculum and faculty development of high quality, interdisciplinary, inclusive arts programming
- Support student and staff initiatives that build community by engaging individuals in the practice of, participation in, and intellectual dialogue around art and art making
- Encourage meaningful opportunities for the BU community and the Boston area community to connect via the arts
- Date: Friday, April 21, 2017
- Time: 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm EST
- Location: Mugar Library – Estin Room – 302, Boston University, 771 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215
- Who should attend: Artists, historians, students, teachers, writers, journalists, curators, visitors, the curious...
- Experienced or new Wikipedians (We will provide assistance with Wikipedia formatting and syntax)
- Amateur historians or research pros (We will have a selection of resources available for your use)
- What to Bring: A Laptop!. Tablets are more difficult.
- Hashtag: #BlackLunchTable
- Etherpad: BlackLunchTable - live doc to keep track of what we are all working on
- Training: Black Lunch Table Wikipedia Presentation
- Presentation / overview
- Editing time
- Goals: Create user account (if new to Wikipedia), create user page with at least one sentence, sign up for editathon on this Wikipedia Meetup page, make at least one edit to a Wikipedia page
- For more information about ongoing scheduled meetups see Black Lunch Table Meetup page
| July 2018 +/-
||July 8, 2018
|BLT @ The High Line, NY
||July 9, 2018
||July 11, 2018
||July 14, 2018
|Eighth Annual Colorado Wiknic
||July 15, 2018
||July 15, 2018
||July 15, 2018
|BLT @ Cape Town
||July 17, 2018
|EaT11 @ Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, TX
||July 19, 2018
|Bay Area WikiSalon @ WMF HQ in San Francisco
||July 25, 2018
|BLT @ Johannesburg 1
||July 27, 2018
|BLT @ Johannesburg 2
||July 29, 2018
|San Diego 31 @ Balboa Park
||July 29, 2018
| August 2018 +/-
||August 11, 2018
||August 12, 2018
|San Diego 32 Wiknic
||August 25, 2018
|Full Meetup Calendar
- LOOKING FOR ADMINS TO JOIN US IN PERSON OR REMOTELY...
- If you are able, please also add your Wikipedia username to the appropriate section below (signatures are created by saving four tildes [~] in a row).
- If you haven't edited Wikipedia before, we will help you register for a new Wikipedia editing account on the day of.
Please add your name below if you are planning to attend.
- Heathart (talk) 13:38, 26 March 2017 (UTC)
- Rosallye (talk) 19:35, 21 April 2017 (UTC)
- Teacher 2017 (talk) 19:37, 21 April 2017 (UTC)
- Fishantena (talk) 21:14, 21 April 2017 (UTC)
Possible articles to edit
Suggested artist pages for revision and/or creation! This event-specific list focuses on important visual artists/art workers/collectors of the African Diaspora who have some connection to the Boston area and are under-represented on Wikipedia. Our master list can be found under our Tasks tab. Please add a name if you know a artist of the African Diaspora note who needs a page or needs editing. Please do not add an artist who has a substantial page. We are trying to create new pages and beef up under-represented ones.
These articles are suggested, be sure they qualify according to Wikipedia's NOTABILITY guidlines before you create a new page. Thanks!
Wikidata task list
This list is automatically generated from data in Wikidata and is periodically updated by Listeriabot.
Edits made within the list area will be removed on the next update!
End of auto-generated list.
Alphabetical by first letter
- Pages improved
- Dana Chandler -- Heathart (talk)
- Ekua Holmes -- Heathart (talk)
- Google Doodle -- Heathart (talk)
- Ralph Lemon -- Teacher 2017 (talk)
- Steve Locke -- Fishantena (talk)
- Pages created
- Ekua Holmes -- Rosallye (talk)
- Nettrice Gaskins -- Heathart (talk)
- Wikimedia Commons images added
- Afrofuturism Amplifiied.jpg -- Rosallye (talk)
- Nettrice Gaskins.jpg -- Rosallye (talk)
- The Electrofunk Mixtape.png -- Rosallye (talk)
- The Electrofunk Mixtape The PASEO Edition.jpg -- Rosallye (talk)
- Wikidata items
- Alfred J. Smith (Q29075848) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Allan Crite (Q4730546) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Camilo Alvarez (Q29525660) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Chico Colvard (Q29524705) -- Heathart (talk)
- Dell Hamilton (Q29514182) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Edward McCluney (Q29529339) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Ekua Holmes (Q29075901) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Ellen Banks (Q28673746) -- Fishantena (talk)
- María Magdalena Campos Pons (Q6004250) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Renée Green (Q7313843) -- Heathart (talk)
- (Q29527986) -- Fishantena (talk)
- Steve Locke (Q19945995) -- Heathart (talk)
- Tomashi Jackson (Q29527424) -- Fishantena (talk)
Wikipedia editing resources
Click here for editing resources.