Black Lunch Table
@ University of Ilorin
University of Ilorin
|When and Where|
|Date:||Friday, May 17, 2019|
|Address:||FHRV+FX Ilorin, Nigeria|
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) will host an edit-a-thon at The University of Ilorin, Nigeria on Friday, May 17, 2019. We will create, update, and improve Wikipedia articles pertaining to the lives and works of visual artists from the African Diaspora.
All are invited, with no specialized knowledge of the subject or Wikipedia editing experience required. A brief overview of the basics of Wikipedia editing will be given at the start of the edit-a-thon. We will have resources and a list of suggested artists, cultural creators, and institutions on hand.
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) project will create, update, and improve Wikipedia articles pertaining to the lives and works of artists from the African Diaspora. Together we will create historical documents that respond to the urgent need for a reconstruction of the art historical record.
All are invited, with no specialized knowledge of the subject or Wikipedia editing experience required. A brief overview of the basics of Wikipedia editing will be given at the start of the edit-a-thon.
History of The Black Lunch Table
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) is an ongoing collaboration between artists Jina Valentine (Fishantena (talk)) and Heather Hart (Heathart (talk)) which intends to fill holes in the documentation of contemporary art history. In its 13 year existence, the BLT has taken a variety of forms relating to this most recent iteration, in the form of the Wikipedia edit-a-thon. BLT’s aim is the production of discursive sites (at literal and metaphorical lunch tables), wherein cultural producers of color engage in critical dialogue on topics directly affecting our communities. They endeavor to create spaces, online and off, mirroring the activity and creativity present in sites where Blackness and Art are performed.
About University of Ilorin
The University of Ilorin, also known as Unilorin, is a federal government-owned university in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. It was established by a Decree of the Federal Military Government in August 1975. The University began in 1975 as a University College affiliated to University of Ibadan. Dr. T.N. Tamuno who was a Professor and Head of History Department at the University of Ibadan was appointed the first Principal of the College in September 1975. The first set of 200 students were admitted on 23rd of October, 1976 following an entrance examination and academic work started on 25th of October, 1976 following the Principal's address. The University College started with three academic faculties: Arts, Science and Education. The University now has fifteen Faculties and dozens of (over 60) Academic Departments.
University of Ilorin, Nigeria
University of Ilorin, Wikipedia
- Date: Sunday, May 17, 2019
- Time: 2pm
- Location: University of Ilorin, Nigeria
- Who should attend: Artists, historians, students, photographers, teachers, writers, journalists, curators, visitors, the curious...
- Experienced or new Wikipedians (We will provide assistance with Wikipedia formatting and syntax)
- Amateur historians or research pros (We will have a selection of resources available for your use)
- What to Bring: Your laptop and a friend!
- Hashtag: #BlackLunchTable
- Etherpad: BlackLunchTable - live doc to keep track of what we are all working on
- Training: Black Lunch Table Wikipedia Presentation
- Presentation / overview
- Editing time
- Goals: Create user account (if new to Wikipedia), create user page with at least one sentence, sign up for edit-a-thon on this Wikipedia Meetup page, make at least one edit to a Wikipedia page
- For more information about ongoing scheduled meetups see Black Lunch Table Meetup page
Possible articles to edit
Suggested artist pages for revision and/or creation! This is our master task list of visual artists of the African Diaspora who are under-represented on Wikipedia. Please add a name if you know someone appropriate who needs a page or needs editing. Please do not add an artist who has a substantial page. We are trying to create new pages and beef up under-represented ones.
- Etherpad: BlackLunchTable - List the article you're working on in this live doc to keep track and avoid duplicate work!
- denotes Infobox is needed
These articles are suggested, be sure they qualify according to Wikipedia's NOTABILITY guidlines before you create a new page. Thanks!
This list is automatically generated from data in Wikidata and is periodically updated by Listeriabot.
Edits made within the list area will be removed on the next update!
End of auto-generated list.