Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
|Motto||Excellence, Integrity and Service|
|Type||Technical state university|
|Established||April 23, 1990 (28 years ago)|
|Chancellor||Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. A.S. Gbadegesin|
|Pro Chancellor||Prof. Oladapo Afolabi|
Ogbomosho, Oyo State, Nigeria|
Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) is a tertiary institution located in Ogbomoso, Oyo State, Nigeria. The university enrolls 25,000 students and employs more than 3,000 workers including contract staff.
In 1987, Governor Adetunji Olurin, the then Military Governor of Oyo State (now split into two states: Oyo and Osun), received a request from the Governing Council of The Polytechnic, Ibadan to establish a State University. He set up a committee in 1988, that recommended the creation of the University. By March 13, 1990, Nigeria's federal military government accepted the State's request. The edict establishing Oyo State University of Technology was signed on April 23, 1990 by Colonel Oresanya.
The first Vice-Chancellor of the University was Olusegun Ladimeji Oke. During the time, Late Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola became the first Chancellor in January 1991. The University began its first academic session on October 19, 1990 with a total of 436 candidates enrolled in four faculties, namely Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Engineering and Management Sciences, and Pure and Applied Sciences. A College of Health Sciences was established a year later.
Campus and academics
The university enrolls nearly 20,000 students in six faculties and a college. For two consecutive seasons, in 2003 and 2004, the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC) rated LAUTECH as the best state university in Nigeria.
The main campus is in Oyo state. This campus is the site of the university's administration, as well as home to five faculties and the post-graduate school. Fields of study include pure and applied science, medicine, agriculture, engineering and technology, and environmental science.
Another campus is located in Osogbo, home to the College of Health Sciences. Departments of medicine and surgery, medical laboratory science and nursing are housed there. Medical students presently shovel between the College of Health Sciences at Osogbo, and the recently built teaching hospital - LAUTECH Teaching Hospital (LTH) - at Ogbomoso, Oyo state.
The current principal officers of the university are:
|Oyo and Osun State Governors||Visitor|
|Professor Oladapo Afolabi||Pro-Chancellor & Chairman|
|Former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu||Chancellor|
|Professor Adeniyi S. Gbadegesin||Vice-Chancellor|
|Professor T. A. Adebayo||Deputy Vice-Chancellor|
|Mr. J. A. Agboola||Registrar|
|Prince A.B.C. Olagunju||Bursar|
|Mr. I.O. Ajala||Librarian|
|Faculty||Departments, programmes and centers|
|Engineering and Technology||
|Pure and Applied Science||
|Centers and academic establishments||
- Office of the Vice Chancellor
- Office of the Registrar
- Academic Affairs Unit
- Council Affairs Unit
- Planning, Budgeting & Monitoring Unit
- Personal Affairs Unit
- Academic Planning Unit
- Sports Development Unit
- Students Affairs Unit
- Physical Planning Unit
- Works and Maintenance Department
- Information and Communication Technology Center
- Open and Distant Learning Center
- Health Center
The ownership of LAUTECH has always been a source of conflict between the two-owner states (Oyo State and Osun State) especially after Osun State acquired her own university. The government of Oyo State wants Osun to transfer full ownership of the University to them while the other party disagrees. This conflict grew intense in 2010 under the administrations of ex-Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala of Oyo State and his former counterpart ex-Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun State. The feud which was suspected to have been ignited by political interests was resolved eventually after series of intervention by notable political icons and the National Universities Commission in Nigeria. Today, the school is still controlled by the governments of both Oyo and Osun States and admission priorities are given to indigenes of both states in the Southwest of Nigeria.
The School Main campus is located at Ogbomoso North Local Government, Ogbomoso, Oyo State, Nigeria while the Mini campus is located at Osogbo,Osun State.The Main campus first gate is located along the Old Ogbomosho-Ilorin road while its other entrance is at Under G area. The university runs a preDegree program as a
- "VC's Welcome". Ladoke Akintola University of Technology. 2009. Archived from the original on June 12, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- "Overview of LAUTECH". Ladoke Akintola University of Technology. 2009. Archived from the original on November 27, 2009. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- "LAUTECH Campuses". Ladoke Akintola University of Technology. 2009. Archived from the original on May 12, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- "Principal Officers | Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH)". .lautech.edu.ng. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- Oyo State
- Osun State
- by akintayo eribake (2010-08-03). "LAUTECH: Students warn Akala, Oyinlola over feud - Vanguard News". Vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Eyo, Bassey. "Eyo Bassey MD Payporte". skyebankng. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- Ojo, Oluyomi. "CEO Printivo". Tech Cabal. Tech Cabal. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- Ojo, Oluyomi. "Nigeria-Based Printivo Wants To Become The Vistaprint Of Africa TechCrunch". TechCrunch. TechCrunch. Retrieved 4 April 2018.