Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/May 10
This is a list of selected May 10 anniversaries that appears on the "On this day" section of the Main Page. To suggest a new item, in most cases you can be bold and edit this page. Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before making your edit. However, if your addition might be controversial, or on a day that is or soon will be on the Main Page, please post your suggestion on the talk page instead.
Please note that the events listed on the Main Page are chosen based more on relative article quality and to maintain a mix of topics, not based solely on how important or significant their subjects are. Only 5–6 events are posted at a time and thus not everything that is "most important and significant" can be listed. In addition, an event is not generally posted this year if it is also the subject of the scheduled May 10, 2018 featured article or the May 10, 2018 featured picture.
To report an error when this appears on the Main Page, see Main Page errors. Please remember that this list defers to the supporting articles, so it is best to achieve consensus and make any necessary changes there first.
- 1833 – Lê Văn Khôi broke out of prison to start a revolt against Vietnamese Emperor Minh Mạng, primarily to avenge the desecration of the grave of his adoptive father Lê Văn Duyệt, former viceroy of the southern part of Vietnam.
- 1849 – A personal dispute between actors Edwin Forrest and William Macready in New York City devolved into a riot that left at least 25 dead and more than 120 injured.
- 1940 – British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain (pictured) resigned and formally recommended Winston Churchill as his successor.
- 1997 – A 7.3 Mw earthquake struck Iran's Khorasan Province, killing 1,567, injuring more than 2,300, leaving 50,000 homeless, and damaging or destroying more than 15,000 homes.
- 2005 – Armenian Vladimir Arutyunian attempted to assassinate US President George W. Bush and Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili in Tbilisi using a hand grenade, which failed to detonate.