William L. Campbell Jr.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee|
Assumed office |
January 12, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Kevin H. Sharp|
William Lynn Campbell Jr.|
1969 (age 48–49)
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
United States Naval Academy (BS)|
University of Alabama School of Law (JD)
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1991–1998|
William Lynn "Chip" Campbell Jr. (born 1969) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee.
Education and military service
He received his Bachelor of Science in political science from the United States Naval Academy and served seven years in the United States Marine Corps, principally as a Naval Flight Officer. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Alabama School of Law, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Alabama Law Review and was an inductee of the Order of the Coif.
He previously worked as an associate and later a partner in the Nashville firm of Riley Warnock & Jacobson, PLC, and as an associate in the Birmingham, Alabama, office of Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. Before becoming a judge, he was a member in the Nashville office of Frost Brown Todd, LLC, where he handled a wide range of civil litigation matters.
Federal judicial service
On July 13, 2017, President Trump nominated Campbell to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee, to the seat vacated by Judge Kevin H. Sharp, who resigned on April 15, 2017. Campbell's nomination was taken up by the United States Senate Judiciary Committee. On September 6, 2017, the Judiciary Committee held a hearing on his nomination. On October 5, 2017, his nomination was favorably reported to the full Senate. On January 9, 2018 his nomination was confirmed by a vote of 97–0. He received his judicial commission on January 12, 2018.
- " President Donald J. Trump Announces Fifth Wave of Judicial Candidates" White House, July 13, 2017
- " Ten Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, July 13, 2017
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for September 6, 2017
- "Daily Digest/Senate Committee Meetings, Committee on the Judiciary". Congressional Record, 115th Congress, 1st Session. 163 (160): D1059–D1060. October 5, 2017. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation William L. Campbell, Jr., of Tennessee, to be U.S. District Judge for the Middle District of Tennessee)". United States Senate. January 9, 2018. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- William L. Campbell Jr. at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- William L. Campbell Jr. at U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- William L. Campbell Jr. at Ballotpedia
Kevin H. Sharp
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|