Třeboň - Masaryk's square
|• Mayor||Terezie Jenisová|
|• Total||98.33 km2 (37.97 sq mi)|
|Elevation||434 m (1,424 ft)|
|• Density||85/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Postal code||379 01|
Třeboň was established around the middle of the 12th century. In 1366, the House of Rožmberk/Rosenberg became owner of the estate. The period of greatest growth for the town dates to the second half of the 15th century when Petr IV of Rožmberk (1462–1523) seriously began to take care of the land. The district became famous as a fish pond farming area. From 1611 the Houses of Habsburg and Schwarzenberg were owners of the town and the estate.
Until 1918, TŘEBOŇ - WITTINGAU (WITTINGAU until the end of the 19th century) was part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), in the district with the same name, one of the 94 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Bohemia.
In the 19th and 20th centuries the city's importance decreased, after the German population being expelled after 800 years
Třeboň is a tourist destination, and this is the area's major economic activity, along with agriculture, spa industry, and other services. The TV series The Territory of White Deer was filmed in Třeboň.
The State Regional Archive for South Bohemia is based here, where genealogical studies about people born in the South Bohemian Region may be conducted, for example. Digital images of Parish registers and other genealogical records from the archive have been placed on the internet.
- The unknown Master of the Třeboň Altarpiece, a 14th-century Bohemian painter, received his name from an altarpiece painted for the Augustinian convent in the town.
- John Dee and Edward Kelley held a number of seances and conducted alchemical experiments in Třeboň in 1589.
- Princess Maria Eleonora Josepha Emanuele Karoline Gabriele Franziska died in Třeboň
- Jan Nepomuscky Kubitschek, the great-grandfather of famous Brazilian president Juscelino Kubitschek, came from Třeboň.
- Josef Šusta, Czech historian (1874–1945)
- Erwin Schärf was born in Třeboň
- Karel Poborský, the Czech Republic national football team player
- Iveta Lutovská, Czech Miss 2009
Twin towns — Sister cities
Třeboň is twinned with:
- Die postalischen Abstempelungen auf den österreichischen Postwertzeichen-Ausgaben 1867, 1883 und 1890, Wilhelm KLEIN, 1967
- Hankovec, Martin. "DigiArchiv of SRA Trebon - ver. 18.04.23". digi.ceskearchivy.cz.
- "Festival AniFest a nový Anifilm se perou. Proč vlastně?". iDNES.cz. 22 April 2010.
Media related to Třeboň at Wikimedia Commons