XDM: X-Treme Dungeon Mastery
XDM: X-treme Dungeon Mastery
|Author||Tracy Hickman & Curtis Hickman|
|Cover artist||Howard Tayler|
|Publisher||Tayler Publishing (US)|
|August 15, 2009|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
Purporting to be the work of a 'secret society' of extreme game players, the book both casts a satirical eye on role-playing games and offers practical application advice on improving the design and play of role-playing games. It includes its own complete role-playing game system as well.
Background and Development
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In the spring of 2009, Tracy Hickman met Howard Tayler at the Life, the Universe, & Everything symposium at Brigham Young University. Tracy and his son Curtis had been working on a book about radical game techniques for over three years but had been unable to secure a game publisher for their work. After discussions with Howard Tayler and his wife and publishing partner Sandra Tayler, it was determined that the book could be produced through Tayler's own publishing imprint. Due to the requirements of having the book ready for release by the following August, both the writers and Howard, as the artist for the project, launched into producing both the art and a viable text within the space of two months. The deadlines were made and the book was produced and delivered on time for its release at Gen Con held in August of that same year.
The book is written as though from the perspective of a secret society of game masters passing on ancient secrets of role-playing games beginning in Babylonian times and extending to the present. Within the satire, the text offers advice on performance techniques, adventure game design and classical story structures.
- Chapter 1: Is Being an XDM Right for You?
- Chapter 2: Welcome to the Cult
- Chapter 3: It's About the Players
- Chapter 4: Story is Everything!
- Chapter 5: Designing for Story
- Chapter 6: Selddir
- Chapter 7: Thou Shalt Prepare!
- Chapter 8: All the Game's a Stage
- Chapter 9: Living through the Revolution
- Chapter 10: Atmosphere
- Chapter 11: Devil's Touch
- Chapter 12: Wonders of the Gods
- Chapter 13: Killer Breakfast to Go
- Chapter 14: How You Play the Game
- Chapter 15: The XD20 Basic Game
- Chapter 16: The XD20 Advanced Players Guide
- Chapter 17: XD20 Dungeon Mastery Handbook
- Chapter 18: XD20 Creature Codex
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: XDM: X-Treme Dungeon Mastery|