Yellowjacket (Marvel Comics)
|First appearance||Avengers #59 (December 1968)|
|Created by||Roy Thomas (Writer)
John Buscema (Artist)
|Alter ego||Hank Pym
Yellowjacket is the name of several fictional characters appearing in comic books published by Marvel Comics. Most of these versions exist in Marvel's main shared universe, known as the Marvel Universe.
Fictional character biography
Dr. Henry "Hank" Pym is the first character to take on the Yellowjacket codename in the modern mainstream Marvel Comics. He was also known as Ant-Man, Giant-Man, and Goliath. The character has been associated with several superhero teams in the Marvel Universe, including the Avengers and the Defenders. He later gives up the mantle and mentors Scott Lang as the new Ant-Man.
Rita DeMara is the second character to take on the Yellowjacket codename in the modern mainstream comics. She debuted as a supervillainess, joining the supervillain groups known as the Masters of Evil and the Femizons. DeMara later became a superheroine and joined the ranks of the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy. She was killed by the supervillain Immortus, but was later resurrected in the Chaos War storyline.
Darren Cross is the third character to take on the Yellowjacket codename in the modern mainstream comics. He debuted as a supervillain in 1979. He first appeared as the Yellowjacket in 2016 when his Yellowjacket attire was created by Egghead.
Before Hank Pym, the original Ultimate Marvel incarnation of Yellowjacket is Ultron, a robot designed to be an expendable super soldier. He is later killed when Hank Pym, as Ant-Man, rips his head off. In Ultimatum, Hank takes up the mantle of Yellowjacket, wanting to make up for what his creation did.[volume & issue needed]
In other media
- Yellowjacket made his animated debut in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes when Hank Pym suffers from a personality disorder and turns into a fearless new vigilante.
- The Darren Cross version of Yellowjacket appears in the television special Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Avengers Reassembled, voiced by Travis Willingham.
- In the 2015 Marvel Studios film Ant-Man, Darren Cross (Corey Stoll) builds the Yellowjacket suit to sell to Hydra and the Ten Rings before wearing the prototype himself.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Yellowjacket appears as a boss character in the video game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, voiced by Wally Wingert.
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe version of Yellowjacket appears in Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Marvel: Contest of Champions, Marvel: Future Fight and Lego Marvel's Avengers.
- Avengers: The Crossing #1
- Chaos War #2
- Astonishing Ant-Man #12. Marvel Comics.
- Ultimates 3 #1 – 4 (Feb. – May 2008); #5 (Nov. 2008)
- "ABC3 – TV Program – The Avengers (Series 2) Yellowjacket". ABC3. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- "Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Avengers Reassembled". Lego Marvel Super Heroes. November 16, 2015.
- "SDCC 2014: OFFICIAL: Evangeline Lilly & Corey Stoll Join Marvel's Ant-Man". Marvel.com. July 26, 2014. Archived from the original on July 26, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- COLLIS, Clark (January 8, 2015). "Exclusive First Look at Ant-Man". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 8, 2015.