|First appearance||Tales to Astonish #49 (November 1963)|
|Created by||Stan Lee|
|Alter ego||Hank Pym|
Agents of Atlas
|Abilities||Leading authority in myrmecology research|
Size-shifting from nearly microscopic to ~100 feet gigantic (both at extremes)
Bio-Energy Projection, also known as a Bio-Sting
Bill Foster later became the new Giant-Man and the Black Goliath.
In The Astonishing Ant-Man #4, Raz Malhotra debuted as the third Giant-Man and later became one of the supporting characters of the regular series, joining Scott Lang's Ant-Man Security Solutions.
Fictional character biography
Hank Pym was the original character named Giant-Man. He used that super hero identity after joining the Avengers with Wasp, Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk. He has also used other aliases like Ant-Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket, and Wasp.
As Giant-Man, Pym fought villains like the Human Top and Egghead, and many years after, joined the Secret Avengers, the Avengers A.I. and the Avengers Academy. He also helped Wasp escape the Microverse after the "Avengers vs X-Men" conflict. Giant-Man also helped Matt Murdock and his friend Foggy Nelson on many occasions, and fought his enemy Ultron during the Rage of Ultron event.
After seemingly dying during the final battle, Pym surprised everyone when he returned as an amalgamation of flesh and Ultron circuitry and encountered the Uncanny Avengers, later joining the team in his new cybernetic form as Ultron. However, the group didn't completely trust him and called the Wasp for help. The Avengers' fears proved true and Pym transformed into Ultron completely, fighting the Unity Division and destroying Iron Man's Hulkbuster armor in the process. The Vision was forced to help the team destroy his "father," but Ultron was later revealed to still be alive.
Bill Foster was Hank Pym's successor who originally went by the name Black Goliath.
Raz Malhotra is an Indian American computer technician whose former field of study was in artificial intelligence at the time when Hank Pym started to rid the world of them. Lured by the supervillain Egghead, he freed himself from Egghead's control with the help of Hank Pym. Some time after Pym's apparent death, Scott Lang gives Malhotra a Giant-Man uniform.
After he is summoned to the portal city of Pan, Giant-Man joins the New Agents of Atlas to help protect the newly formed city. He later begins a relationship with Isaac Ikeda, the "Protector of Pan". During the Atlantis Attacks storyline, Malhotra and the other New Agents are introduced to the original Agents by their leader Jimmy Woo.
In the Ultimate Marvel universe, there is a group of characters called Giant-Men who gained size-shifting powers from a modified version of the technology that gave Hank Pym his powers and special jumpsuits that can grow with them. The Giant-Men are part of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Reserves and consist of Scott Lang, David Scotty, Peter, Cassandra Lang, and some unnamed Giant-Men and Giant-Women.
The Giant-Men later attack the West Coast Ultimates and easily defeat them.
In other media
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears in The Marvel Super Heroes animated series, voiced by Tom Harvey.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears in The Avengers: United They Stand animated series, voiced by Rod Wilson.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series, voiced by Wally Wingert.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears in the anime series Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers, voiced by Yasunori Masutani.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears in the Marvel Animated Features series of animated direct-to-video films.
- Scott Lang (portrayed by Paul Rudd) serves as the Marvel Cinematic Universe's equivalent of Giant-Man; with various interviews with directors Anthony and Joe Russo, Marvel Studios's head Kevin Feige, and Ant-Man director Peyton Reed confirming this.
- In the live-action film Captain America: Civil War (2016), Lang grows in size during a battle against Iron Man's faction of the Avengers, allowing Captain America and Bucky Barnes to escape.
- In the live-action film Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018), Lang enlarges while going after Sonny Burch's gang, but becomes fatigued after staying giant for too long.
- In the live-action film Avengers: Endgame (2019), Lang enlarges to escape the ruins of the Avengers' compound and subsequently joins them in their final battle against Thanos.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears as an assist character in the 1995 arcade game Avengers in Galactic Storm.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears as a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears as a playable character in Marvel: Future Fight.
- The Hank Pym incarnation of Giant-Man appears as a playable character in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, voiced by Dar Dash.
- Goliath (comics), another alias also used by Pym and Foster
- The Avengers #1. Marvel Comics.
- Age of Ultron #10.A.I. Marvel Comics.
- The Avengers #60. Marvel Comics.
- Avengers: Rage of Ultron #1. Marvel Comics.
- Uncanny Avengers #13. Marvel Comics.
- Ant-Man Annual vol. 2 #1. Marvel Comics.
- Agents of Atlas vol. 3 #1. Marvel Comics
- Agents of Atlas vol. 3 #4. Marvel Comics
- Atlantis Attacks #1. Marvel Comics
- Ultimates 2 #6. Marvel Comics.
- Ultimates 2 #9. Marvel Comics.
- Ultimatum #2. Marvel Comics.
- Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #3. Marvel Comics.
- Ultimate Comics Ultimates #11. Marvel Comics.
- "Voice Compare – Henry Pym". Behind The Voice Actors. Archived from the original on 21 July 2017. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- Jenna Busch (8 February 2010). "'Avengers' Animated Assembling w/ Phil Lamarr". Newsarama. Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. Retrieved 8 February 2010.
- "Full cast and crew for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes "The Man in the Ant Hill". IMDb. Archived from the original on 1 February 2016. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Full cast and crew for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes "Breakout: Part 2". IMDb. Archived from the original on 26 September 2016. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Full cast and crew for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes "Yellowjacket". IMDb.
- Lussier, Germain. "How That Big Ant-Man Reveal Ended Up in Captain America: Civil War".
- DiClaudio, Dennis. "Peyton Reed isn't thrilled about Ant-Man making the big time in the MCU". The A.V. Club.
- "Will Giant Man Return In Ant-Man And The Wasp? Here's What Peyton Reed Says". 18 April 2017.
- JoBlo Movie Trailers (18 September 2016). "CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR - Giant-Man Featurette (2016) Paul Rudd Marvel Movie". Archived from the original on 2021-12-22 – via YouTube.
- Truitt, Brian (March 10, 2016). "Exclusive: Meet the biggest superhero of 'Civil War'". USA Today. Archived from the original on May 28, 2016. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- "Characters". IGN Database. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Giant-Men of Earth-1610 at Marvel Wiki