Yeshiva World News
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|News, News aggregation & blogging|
|Headquarters||Brooklyn, NY, United States|
|Area served||United States, Israel|
|Founder(s)||Judah (Yehudah) Eckstein|
|Key people||Judah (Yehudah) Eckstein, Yechiel Spira, Dov Gefen, Chaim Shapiro, Eli Geffen, Chaim Chernoff, Moshe Altusky, Aliza Levine, & Noach B. Rosen.|
Yeshiva World News started as a news aggregation blog. It has since grown to an independent news source with freelance reporters and photographers in addition to continuing as a news aggregator. It is known for providing news of interest to the Orthodox Jewish community. Its web page header says "Frum Jewish News" (frum is the Yiddish term for a religiously observant Jew).
The website was redesigned in 2010, and again in 2017. It has sections containing general news items and Israeli news, as well as religious news, and news tailored around Jewish life cycle events and the Jewish calendar. Many features are relevant to Jewish observance, including articles about Torah and Jewish law, kosher recipes, and the streaming radio feature. The website is frequented very often and has a high traffic rating on Alexa.
News departments include:
- U.S. & World News with a separate Israel department
- Business News
- News and photos of prominent Rabbis
- News from Shomrim (volunteer community patrols) around the world.
- Kashrus News from the Chicago Rabbinical Council
- Human Interest items
- Health News
- Baruch Dayan Ha'Emes - Obituaries
- Classified Listings
Non-news features include:
- Op-Ed articles
- Torah Corner (Halacha/Parsha)
- Jewish Book Reviews
- Food & Recipes
- A current events forum
- A 24-hour Jewish music stream
- A detailed calendar of events in Jewish communities - mainly in the New York area
- Community event listings (weddings, births, deaths, etc.)
- Weather reports for cities around the world
- Emergency and non-emergency service phone numbers in all areas.
- The Coffee Room, a message board for members of the site
- The main site is directed by Chaim Shapiro, Aliza Levine, Noach B. Rosen, Moshe Altusky, & Eli Gefen and Mishek Jones
- The advertising and business development is managed and directed by Chaim Chernoff.
- The YWN Israel Bureau is directed by Israeli journalist Yechiel Spira formerly of Arutz Sheva and editor at Jerusalem Kosher News.
- Rabbi Moishe Dovid Lebovits, Rabbinical Administrator KOF-K Kosher Supervision, authors the daily halacha.
- Journalists Yossi Gestetner and Chaskel Bennett also contribute frequently with opinion pieces.
- The technology and development are handled by Duvys Media of Lakewood, New Jersey.
There has been some controversy regarding the fact that YWN will not post any stories which portray Orthodox Judaism in a bad light. For example, they omitted most reports on the child abuse scandals in Orthodox Yeshivos, as well as the scandal with Leib Tropper and EJF in 2009. Additionally, YWN has failed to address the 2009 call by leading Orthodox rabbis for all Chareidi websites to shut down, despite many readers asking why it was ignored.
- Bosch, Adam. "Secular temptations lure Orthodox youth".
- Nathan, Ben (August 21, 2008). "You Give Them 18 Minutes, They Give You The World". 5 Towns Jewish Times. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Shooting near Jewish girls' school". WABC-TV. March 17, 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Check out our newest design" (Press release). Duvys Media.
- "Elevators pose religious dilemma in Jerusalem". 22 November 2009.
- "Yechiel Spira and Rabbi Wikler Discuss 2010 Kosher Supervision Guide - Matzav.com". matzav.com.
- Spira, Yechiel (December 11 2009). "Rabbonim Come Out Strongly Against Chareidi Internet". Yeshiva World News.