Jewish Broadcasting Service
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)
|Type||Jewish Cultural and Educational Channel|
|Broadcast area||North America|
|Headquarters||Fort Lee, NJ|
|Parent||Jewish Education in Media|
|Key people||Rabbi Mark S. Golub, President|
|Launched||August 31, 2006|
|Former names||Shalom TV|
|Galaxy 13 (127 West) T16|
Jewish Broadcasting Service is an American Jewish television network. JBS programming includes daily news reports from Israel, live event coverage and analysis, and cultural programming of interest to the North American Jewish community. The network is a full-time HD and SD channel. It is an English-language network produced by the non-profit organization Jewish Education in Media (JEM) (not to be confused with Jewish Educational Media, distributors of Chabad Lubavitch movement materials). The goal of this organization is to reach out to lesser affiliated Jews and bring them closer to their Jewish religion and Identity.
Shalom TV was developed by Rabbi Mark S. Golub in 2003, and began telecasting on August 31, 2006. In 2008, Comcast launched Shalom TV On Demand nationally. The On Demand version of Shalom TV expanded to more than 20 video distributors available to more than 40 million homes throughout North America.
In September 2016, JBS became available nationally as a channel on DIRECTV channel 388. JBS launched in August 2017 on Verizon Fios in HD on channel 798. JBS HD launched on August 7, 2018 on Charter Spectrum in New York, California, Connecticut, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Missouri, and Ohio. JBS HD launched on December 8, 2020 on all Comcast Xfinity service areas.
Programs on JBS are intended to reflect the diversity and pluralism of the worldwide Jewish population. Programs include:
- Daily news broadcast from Israel in English ILTV.TV.
- Live late breaking stories and programs with viewer call-ins.
- Live Friday evening services.
- Public affairs events
- American, Israeli, and Yiddish films
- Roundtable discussions of issues in the world Jewish community.
- Jewish Studies programs, including the teaching of Hebrew and commentary on basic tenets of Judaism.
- Children's programs.
- 92nd Street Y presentations
- Israeli and American Jewish cultural shows
- Interviews with important Jews.
- Israel travel documentaries.
- High Holiday services and original series.
- From Date to Mate, an original mockumentary series about the urban dating scene.
- The Wisdom of Ruth Westheimer, an original television series featuring Ruth Westheimer (Dr. Ruth), sex therapist, media personality, professor, and author.
|Amazon Fire TV|
|Atlantic Broadband||Miami Beach, FL, Maine & New Hampshire|
|Blue Ridge Communications||All service areas|
|Blue Stream Fiber||All service areas|
|Buckeye Broadband||All service areas|
|CenturyLink Prism||All Prism service areas|
|Charter Spectrum||NY, CT, CA, MO, OH, FL, IL, TX|
|Comcast Xfinity X1||All Service Areas|
|DIRECTV||All 50 states and Puerto Rico|
|Fios TV (Verizon)||All Service Areas|
|Google Fiber TV||All service areas|
|Hotwire Communications||Florida, Georgia, North Carolina & South Carolina|
|Cablevision/Optimum TV||All service areas|
|RCN||All service areas channel 334 in Lehigh Valley, PA|
|ROKU||North America, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Mexico|
|Service Electric Cable TV||Eastern PA and Western NJ service areas|
|Service Electric Cablevision|
|TuneIn Radio||North America|
|WOW! (Wide Open West)|
- Kristin E. Holmes, "New cable channel says 'Shalom': Shalom TV hopes a focus on Jewish culture as well as religion will draw a wide audience.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 23, 2006.
- "First "PBS style" Jewish Television Channel Now Available Throughout America" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-07-29.
- "Stamford rabbi launches Jewish-American TV network", The Hour, January 2, 2013.
- Mike Reynolds (September 17, 2014). "Shalom TV to Ring in JBS Name Change". Multichannel News.
- Nora Naughton, "Stamford rabbi’s TV network goes national", Stamford Advocate, September 26, 2016.
- Shalom TV Channel
- View memorable moments from 92nd Street Y's Jewish programs on Shalom TV, the first Jewish TV cable channel in America.
- Entertainm, Self Conscious. "JMatch Dating Drama Comes To Life on Tube". The Forward.
- "Dr. Ruth is terug". November 12, 2013.
- "FIND US".