Jewish Broadcasting Service
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Broadcast area||North America|
|Slogan||Expanding Jewish Understanding|
|Owner||Jewish Education in Media|
|Key people||Mark Golub, President|
|Launched||August 31, 2006|
|Former names||Shalom TV|
|Available on some U.S. cable systems||See Availability|
|DirecTV (US)||Channel 388 (HD)|
|Verizon Fios||798 (HD)|
Jewish Broadcasting Service (JBS), known as Shalom TV until September 24, 2014, is a non-profit English-language Jewish-oriented television network. JBS programming includes daily news reports from Israel, live event coverage and analysis, and cultural programming of interest to the North American Jewish community. The network is a full-time HD and SD channel produced by Jewish Education in Media (JEM) (not to be confused with Jewish Educational Media, distributors of material of the Lubavitch movement).
Shalom TV was developed by Rabbi Mark S. Golub in 2003 and began telecasting on August 31, 2006. In 2008, Comcast launched Shalom TV On Demand nationally. The On Demand version of Shalom TV expanded to more than 20 video distributors available to more than 40 million homes throughout North America.
On December 7, 2012, Optimum Cable (Cablevision) launched the Shalom TV Channel.
Shalom TV was renamed JBS on September 24, 2014.
JBS launched in August 2017 on Verizon Fios in HD on channel 798.
JBS HD launched on August 7, 2018 on Charter Spectrum in NY, CA, CT, FL,TX, IL, MO and OH.
Programs on JBS are intended to reflect the diversity and pluralism of the worldwide Jewish population. Programs includes:
- Daily news broadcast from Israel in English ILTV.TV
- Live late breaking stories and programs with viewer call-ins
- Live Friday evening services
- Public affairs events
- American, Israeli and Yiddish films
- Roundtable discussions of issues in the world Jewish community
- Jewish Studies programs including the teaching of Hebrew and commentary on basic tenets of Judaism
- Children's programs
- 92nd Street Y presentations
- Israeli and American Jewish cultural shows
- Interviews with important Jews
- Israel travel documentaries
- High Holiday services and original series
- From Date to Mate, an original mockumentary series about the urban dating scene
- The Wisdom of Ruth Westheimer, an original television series featuring Ruth Westheimer, sex therapist, media personality, and author
|Atlantic Broadband||Miami Beach, FL|
|Blue Ridge Communications||All service areas|
|Buckeye CableSystem||All service areas|
|CenturyLink Prism||All Prism service areas|
|Charter Spectrum||NY, CT, CA, MO, OH, FL, IL, TX|
|DIRECTV||All 50 states and Puerto Rico|
|Fios TV (Verizon)||All Service Areas|
|Google Fiber TV||All service areas|
|Hotwire Communications||South Florida|
|Atlantic Broadband||Maine and New Hampshire|
|Optimum TV||All service areas|
|RCN||All service areas channel 334 in Lehigh Valley, PA|
|Roku||North America, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Mexico|
|Service Electric Cable TV||Eastern PA and Western NJ service areas|
|Service Electric Cablevision|
|TuneIn Radio||North America|
|WOW! (Wide Open West)|
- Shalom TV to Ring in JBS Name Change
- Kristin E. Holmes, "New cable channel says 'Shalom': Shalom TV hopes a focus on Jewish culture as well as religion will draw a wide audience.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 23, 2006.
- "First "PBS style" Jewish Television Channel Now Available Throughout America" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-07-29.
- "Stamford rabbi launches Jewish-American TV network", The Hour, January 2, 2013.
- Nora Naughton, "Stamford rabbi’s TV network goes national", Stamford Advocate, September 26, 2016.
- Shalom TV Channel
- View memorable moments from 92nd Street Y's Jewish programs on Shalom TV, the first Jewish TV cable channel in America.
- JMatch Dating Drama Comes To Life on Tube
- Dr. Ruth is terug
- JBS: Find Us