A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
|A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood|
|Directed by||Marielle Heller|
|Based on||Can You Say...Hero?|
by Tom Junod
|Music by||Nate Heller|
|Cinematography||Jody Lee Lipes|
|Edited by||Anne McCabe|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is a 2019 American drama film directed by Marielle Heller with a screenplay by Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster, based on the Esquire article Can You Say...Hero? by Tom Junod. The film stars Tom Hanks, Matthew Rhys, Susan Kelechi Watson, and Chris Cooper, and stars Rhys as a journalist for Esquire who is assigned to profile beloved television icon Fred Rogers (Hanks).
The film had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 7, 2019, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 22, 2019, by Sony Pictures Releasing.
An award-winning cynical journalist, Lloyd Vogel (Matthew Rhys), grudgingly accepts an assignment to write an Esquire profile of the beloved television icon Fred Rogers (Tom Hanks). Vogel's perspective on life is transformed after his encounter with Rogers.
- Matthew Rhys as Lloyd Vogel (based on Tom Junod), a journalist.
- Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers
- Chris Cooper as Jerry Vogel (based on Lou Junod), Lloyd's father.
- Susan Kelechi Watson as Andrea Vogel (based on Janet Junod), Lloyd's wife.
- Enrico Colantoni as Bill Isler, President & CEO of Family Communications.
- Maryann Plunkett as Joanne Rogers, Fred's wife.
- Tammy Blanchard as Lorraine, Lloyd's sister and Todd's wife.
- Wendy Makkena as Dorothy, Jerry's girlfriend.
- Sakina Jaffrey as Ellen, Lloyd's editor.
- Carmen Cusack as Margy, a producer of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.
- Noah Harpster as Todd, Lorraine's husband and Lloyd's brother-in-law.
- Maddie Corman as Betty Aberlin, an actress starring as Lady Aberlin on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.
On January 29, 2018, it was announced that Sony's TriStar Pictures had bought the worldwide distribution rights to the film You Are My Friend, a biographical film based on a 1998 Esquire magazine article about television personality Fred Rogers, who would be played by Tom Hanks. The film's script by Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster appeared among the 2013 Black List of best unproduced screenplays and it would be directed by Marielle Heller, while producers would be Big Beach's Marc Turtletaub and Peter Saraf along with Youree Henley.
In July 2018, Matthew Rhys joined the cast of the film to play the journalist Tom Junod, with production set to start in September 2018. In August 2018, Chris Cooper was added to the cast to play Junod's father, and in September, Susan Kelechi Watson was added. In October 2018, Enrico Colantoni, Maryann Plunkett, Tammy Blanchard, Wendy Makkena, Sakina Jaffrey, Carmen Cusack, Harpster and Maddie Corman joined the cast of the film. In 2018, Nate Heller was chosen to score the film.
Principal photography on the film began on September 10, 2018 in Pittsburgh, with several sets converted into New York City. Filming also took place in Fred Rogers Studio at WQED (TV) where the late television host recorded Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, and the Jewish Community Center in Squirrel Hill. Production wrapped on November 9, 2018. On October 12, 2018, sound mixer James Emswiller had a heart attack and fell from a second-story balcony. He was taken to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center-Mercy, where he was pronounced dead. The film received tax credits of less than $9.5 million against a production budget of $45 million for filming in Pittsburgh. Senator Jay Costa advocated to make sure tax credits were available for the film, as limited funds can mean tax credits are not always awarded or available. Hanks visited Fred Rogers Center at Saint Vincent College.
On December 27, 2018, it was announced the film had been officially titled A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.
The trailer for the film was released on July 22, 2019.
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 7, 2019. The film was originally going to be released on October 18, 2019, by Sony Pictures Releasing, but in May 2018 was pushed back a month to November 22, 2019.
On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 95% based on 61 reviews, with an average rating of 7.9/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "Much like the beloved TV personality that inspired it, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood offers a powerfully affecting message about acceptance and understanding." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 82 out of 100, based on reviews from 18 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
- Won't You Be My Neighbor? (film), a documentary about Fred Rogers
- Can You Say...Hero?, article by Tom Junod published in Esquire
- Davis, Rebecca (18 June 2019). "Tencent Pictures' Lineup Is a Mix of Hollywood Content and Chinese Propaganda". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood". Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- JOANNE KLIMOVICH HARROP (September 7, 2019). "'A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood' almost wasn't filmed in Pittsburgh". Tribune-Review.
- Nyren, Erin (October 11, 2018). "Emmy-Winning Sound Mixer Dies After Fall on Set of Tom Hanks' Mr. Rogers Biopic". Variety. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (January 29, 2018). "Tom Hanks to Play Mr. Rogers in Biopic 'You Are My Friend' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 17, 2018). "Matthew Rhys to Co-Star With Tom Hanks in Mr. Rogers Film 'You Are My Friend' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (August 21, 2018). "Chris Cooper Joins Tom Hanks in Mr. Rogers Film 'You Are My Friend' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 13, 2018). "'This Is Us' Star Susan Kelechi Watson Joins Tom Hanks In Mister Rogers Pic 'You Are My Friend'". Deadline. Retrieved September 15, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 25, 2018). "Tom Hanks' Mister Rogers Film Rounds Out Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 25, 2018.
- "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Soundtrack". Soundtrack Tracklist. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- Bauder, Bob (September 14, 2018). "Pittsburgh turns into NYC for filming of Tom Hanks' Mr. Rogers film". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved September 15, 2018.
- Delbyck, Cole (October 10, 2018). "Mister Rogers Movie Crew Member Dies After Fall On Set". Huffington Post. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (December 27, 2018). "Tom Hanks' Mister Rogers Film Finally Gets A Title". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- "A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood : Official Trailer Released". Filmoria. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- Lang, Brent (July 23, 2019). "Toronto Film Festival: 'Joker,' 'Ford v Ferrari,' 'Hustlers' Among Big Premieres". Variety. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Hipes, Patrick (January 25, 2019). "'Morbius' & 'Ghostbusters' Solidify Summer 2020 Release Dates". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Busch, Anita (May 10, 2018). "'Bad Boys For Life,' Tom Hanks' Starrer 'You Are My Friend' Get Release Dates From Sony". Deadline. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved September 16, 2019.
- "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved September 11, 2019.