From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2009)|
|Look up è in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
È or è can be
- The letter E with a grave accent.
- In English, the letter è is sometimes used in the past tense forms of verbs in poetic texts to indicate that the final syllable should be pronounced separately. For example blessèd would indicate the pronunciation bles-sed rather than blest. It also occurs in loanwords such as Italian caffè.
- "È" means "is" in modern Italian [ɛ], e.g. "il cane è piccolo" meaning the dog is small. It is derived from Latin "est" and is accented to distinguish it from the conjunction "e" meaning "and".
- È (è) is also used for an [ɤ] with a falling tone in pinyin, the Chinese language roman-alphabet transcription system. The word 鄂, consisting only of this vowel, is an abbreviation for the Hubei province of the People's Republic of China.
- Ye with grave, a Cyrillic letter with a similar glyph
Letter E with diacritics
Letters using grave accent ( ◌̀ )