1997 Primus 1000 Classic
|1997 Primus 1000 Classic|
It was the inaugural "1000 Classic" race, created in response to the desire of V8 Supercar organisers AVESCO to compete at the popular Mount Panorama Circuit outside of the traditional Bathurst 1000 event, as AVESCO were in conflict with the Bathurst 1000 organisers, the Australian Racing Drivers' Club. While many attempts were made to broker a peace between the two bodies, there was a fundamental chasm over the issue of television coverage with AVESCO holding a series contract with Network Ten and the ARDC holding a contract with the Seven Network. The impasse was solved when Bathurst City Council negotiated a deal with AVESCO for a separate race, to be held two weeks after the 1997 AMP Bathurst 1000, which subsequently went ahead with a field of Australian and British Supertouring cars.
These were the full-time professional teams, aiming to win the race outright and holders of a 'Level 1' V8 Supercar franchise.
The smaller, part-time 'Level 2' teams, running on a Dunlop control tyre of lower, cheaper specification.
Special level 1
The smaller, part-time 'Level 2' teams, who wished to run on the tyres of their own choosing.
Top 10 Shootout
|Pole||05||Holden Racing Team||Mark Skaife||Holden VS Commodore||2:10.0397|
|2||1||Glenn Seton Racing||Glenn Seton||Ford EL Falcon||2:10.8120|
|3||15||Holden Racing Team||Greg Murphy||Holden VS Commodore||2:11.0270|
|4||11||Perkins Engineering||Larry Perkins||Holden VS Commodore||2:11.0826|
|5||97||Holden Young Lions||Jason Bargwanna||Holden VS Commodore||2:11.0887|
|6||9||Alan Jones Racing||Alan Jones||Ford EL Falcon||2:11.2317|
|7||17||Dick Johnson Racing||Dick Johnson||Ford EL Falcon||2:11.3336|
|8||46||John Faulkner Racing||John Faulkner||Holden VS Commodore||2:11.4114|
|9||18||Dick Johnson Racing||Steven Johnson||Ford EL Falcon||2:11.6200|
|10||7||Wayne Gardner Racing||Wayne Gardner||Holden VS Commodore||2:12.8269|
The names of drivers who did not drive in the actual race are shown in the above table within brackets.
- Provisional pole position (Fastest in Qualifying) - #97 Jason Bargwanna - 2:10.9216
- Pole position (Fastest in Top 10 Shootout)- #05 Mark Skaife - 2:10.0397
- Fastest race lap - #11 Larry Perkins - 2:12.3398 (new lap record) 
- Winners' average speed - 157.14 km/h  (V8 Supercar record)
- Most laps led - Perkins/Ingall - 80 
- CAMS Online Manual of Motor Sport > About CAMS > Titles - Australian Titles Retrieved on 26 May 2012
- V8 Bathurst 1997, page 151
- V8 Bathurst 1997, page 143
- V8 Bathurst 1997, page 149
- Official race results
- Official V8 Supercar website
- CAMS Manual reference to Australian titles
- race results