2011 in Pakistan
|See also:||Other events of 2011
List of years in Pakistan
Events in the year 2011 in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
- President - Asif Ali Zardari
- Prime Minister - Yousaf Raza Gillani
- Commerce Minister - Ameen Faheem
- Minister of Communications - Arbab Alamgir Khan
- Culture Minister - Khawaja Saad Rafique
- Defence Minister - Ahmad Mukhtar
- Minister of Defence Production - Rana Tanveer Hussain
- Finance Minister - Abdul Hafeez Shaikh
- Minister of Foreign Affairs - Hina Rabbani Khar
- Interior Minister - Rehman Malik
- Minister for States and Frontier Regions - Najmuddin Khan
- Minister for Water and Power - Raja Pervaiz Ashraf
- January 3: The government enters into urgent talks with opposition parties after the Muttahida Quami Movement resigns from the coalition, depriving it of its majority.
- January 4: Salmaan Taseer, the governor of Punjab, is shot by one of his bodyguards near his home. Taseer dies of his wounds soon afterwards. His killer, Malik Mumtaz Qadri, turns himself in and claims he killed the governor due to his opposition to the blasphemy law in Pakistan.
- January 13: a reporter of Geo News, Wali Khan Babar is shot by unknown political gunmen in Karachi as target killing once again gripped the city.
- January 19: Massive earthquake of magnitude Mw 7.2 hits southwestern parts of the country including Karachi, with tremours jolting as far as New Delhi and Dubai.
- January 24: Another earthquake of magnitude Mw 6.3 jolts the upper parts of the country including Islamabad.
- January 25: At least thirteen people are killed while 70 others injured in a suicide bomb explosion in a mourning procession of Hazrat Imam Hussain near its concluding point at Kerbala Gamay Shah at Bhat Gate in Lahore.
- January 25: A suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden motorbike into a police van at Malir 15 area of Karachi, killing at least three people while 5 people were injured.
- January 27: A US diplomat, Raymond Davis, kills two men on a motorbike in Lahore allegedly in self-defence while a companion of the diplomat, who is also an American citizen, crushed to death a bike rider in a hit-and-run incident, following the shooting.
March 1: The Minister for Minority Affairs, Shahbaz Bhatti, a Christian was assisinated in Islamabad
March 30: Pakistan plays Cricket World Cup semi-final with India.
March 30: Famous Comedian Liaquat Soldier dies.
- April 22: Internationally renowned Pakistani actor, Moin Akhtar, dies at the age of 60 years in Karachi after suffering from a heart attack.
- May 2: Death of Osama Bin Laden: The US Navy Seals killed Osama bin Laden in the city of Abbotabad.
- May 24: Hakim Ali Zardari, father of President Asif Ali Zardari died at the age of 81 years at a private ward in the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital in Islamabad.
- June 24 - The cell phone of Osama bin Laden's courier is reported to contain contacts with Harakat-ul-Mujahadeen, suggesting potential ties to Pakistan's intelligence agencies
During the months of July and August 2011, a number of targeted killings in Karachi, Pakistan left hundreds of people dead. The attacks are part of an ongoing terrorist campaign of political, ethnic and religious violence that has gripped the city in its worst form in the recent years. By late August and September 2011 the security situation in Karachi has stabilized and target killings have largely stopped, though isolated incidents still occur.
- November 22: Husain Haqqani resigned as Pakistan Ambassador to the United States following claims of his alleged affiliation with the Memogate controversy.
- November 26: A NATO attack on two Pakistani border checkposts in Salala in the Baizai subdivision of Mohmand Agency in FATA kill 24 soldiers of the Pakistan Army.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2011)|
- 4 January - Salmaan Taseer, 64, governor of Punjab, shot dead
- 10 January - Naseerullah Babar, 82, soldier and politician, Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (1976–1977) and Interior Minister (1993–1996).
- 13 January - Babar, 28, journalist and reporter, shot dead.
- 22 January - Aslam Khokhar, 91, cricketer.
- 23 January - Colonel Imam, who was kidnapped along with former ISI official Khalid Khawaja, British journalist Asad Qureshi and his driver in the tribal belt on March 26 last year, died due to a heart attack in the custody of his captors. (body found on this date)
- 22 April - Moin Akhtar, 60, acclaimed Pakistani actor.
- 2 May - Usama bin Laden, 54, Saudi terrorist.
These holidays were held in some provinces of Pakistan.
- 5 January - All educational institutions, offices and banks remained closed in Punjab province to mourn the death of Salmaan Taseer.
- 19 January - The Sindh government had declared January 19 (Wednesday) a provincial holiday on account of the Urs of Shah Abdul Latif Bhitai.
- 25 January - The Sindh government declared a provincial holiday on the account of Chelum of Hazrat Imam Hussain.
- Terrorist incidents in Pakistan in 2011
- 2010 in Pakistan
- Other events of 2011
- Timeline of Pakistani history
- Pakistan PM Gilani in crisis talks with opposition
- "Punjab Governor Salman Taseer Assassinated in Islamabad, Pakistan". BBC news. 2011-01-04. Retrieved 2001-01-04.
- "Governor assassinated in Islamabad, Pakistan". IndiaVoice. 2011-01-04. Retrieved 2011-01-04.