Axiomatic design is a systems design methodology using matrix methods to systematically analyze the transformation of customer needs into functional requirements, design parameters, and process variables. Specifically, functional requirements (FRs) are related to design parameters (DPs):
The method gets its name from its use of design principles or design Axioms (i.e., given without proof) governing the analysis and decision making process in developing high quality product or system designs. The two axioms used in Axiomatic Design (AD) are:
- Axiom 1: The Independence Axiom. Maintain the independence of the functional requirements (FRs).
- Axiom 2: The Information Axiom. Minimize the information content of the design.
Axiomatic design is considered to be a design method that addresses fundamental issues in Taguchi methods.
The methodology was developed by Dr. Suh Nam Pyo at MIT, Department of Mechanical Engineering since the 1990s. A series of academic conferences have been held to present current developments of the methodology. The most recent International Conference on Axiomatic Design (ICAD) was held in 2009 in Portugal.
See also 
- Dependency structure matrix (DSM)
- New product development (NPD)
- Design for Six Sigma
- Six Sigma
- Taguchi methods
- Axiomatic product development lifecycle (APDL)
- C-K theory
- *Suh (1990), The Principles of Design, Oxford University Press, 1990, ISBN 0-19-504345-6
- Suh (2001). Axiomatic Design: Advances and Applications, Oxford University Press, 2001, ISBN 0-19-513466-4
- Suh (2005). Complexity: Theory and Applications, Oxford University Press, 2005, ISBN 0-19-517876-9
- El-Haik, Axiomatic Quality, Wiley, 2005, ISBN 0-471-68273-X
- Stamatis, Six Sigma and Beyond: Design for Six Sigma, Volume VI, CRC Press, 2002, ISBN 1-57444-315-1
A discussion of the methodology is given here:
- Axiomatic Design for Complex Systems is a professional short course offered at MIT
- Axiomatic Design Technology described by Axiomatic Design Solutions, Inc.
Past proceedings of International Conferences on Axiomatic Design can be downloaded here: