List of hairdressers
This is a list of notable hairdressers. "Hairdresser" is a term referring to anyone whose occupation is to cut or style hair in order to change or maintain a person's image. This is achieved using a combination of hair coloring, haircutting, and hair texturing techniques. Most hairdressers are professionally licensed as either a barber or a cosmetologist.
- Monsieur Champagne. 17th century French hairdresser, subject of the comic play Champagne le coiffeur.
- Legros de Rumigny
- Léonard — hairdresser to the late 18th century French court
- Madame Martin, hairdresser to the court of Louis XIV.
- Marcel Grateau — inventor of the Marcel wave in the 1870s, although it was most popular in the 1920s.
- Alexandre de Paris (1922-2008). Clients included the Duchess of Windsor and Daisy Fellowes
- Antoine de Paris (1884 – 1976). Polish, began in Paris, then in New York from 1924. Introduced a short bob cut in 1909, then the shingle cut in the 1920s.
- Kenneth (1927-2013). American, one of the foremost New York hairdressers since the 1950s, and sometimes described as the world's first celebrity hairdresser.
- Karl Nessler (1872-1951). German-born, worked around Europe before moving to the United States. Patented the permanent wave.
- Teasy Weasy Raymond OBE(1911-1992). Considered Britain's first celebrity hairdresser. His clients included Diana Dors
From 1960 – Present
- James Brown — best known for his work with Kate Moss
- Lino Carbosiero MBE British. Clients include David Cameron, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Minnie Driver.
- Nicky Clarke OBE London. — Clients include David Bowie, Elizabeth Hurley, and Diana, Princess of Wales.
- Errol Douglas MBE London; clients include Diana Ross, Naomi Campbell, Melanie Griffith.
- Frédéric Fekkai - A French hairstylist, particularly famous during the 1990s for his notoriously high prices.
- Ted Gibson, New York
- Denise McAdam RVM — hairdresser to the current British Royal Family.
- Vidal Sassoon CBE (1928-2012), London and later Los Angeles — clients included Mia Farrow
- Trevor Sorbie MBE London 
- Lee Stafford — leading British hairdresser from 1998, his clients include Victoria Beckham.
Film and television stylists
- Sydney Guilaroff — he worked for MGM on numerous movies and his clients included Greta Garbo, Grace Kelly and Joan Crawford.
- Gail Ryan, American. Won Academy Award in 2011 for How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Clients include Benicio del Toro, Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, and Dustin Hoffman.
- Victoria Sherrow (2006), Encyclopedia of Hair: A Cultural History, Greenwood Publishing Group, pp. 163–166, ISBN 9780313331459
- Joan DeJean (2005), "The Rule of Celebrity Hairdressers", The Essence of Style: How the French Invented High Fashion, Fine Food, Chic Cafes, Style, Sophistication, and Glamour, Simon and Schuster, pp. 21 et seq., ISBN 9780743264136
- Warwick Lister (2009), Amico: The Life of Giovanni Battista Viotti, Oxford University Press, pp. 126, 154–156, ISBN 9780195372403
- Diana De Marly (1987), Louis XIV & Versailles, "Much to Louis XIV's relief the French hairdresser Martin was able to save the reputation of the French court ... On 4 April 1671 the Marquise de Sevigne wrote to her daughter the Comtesse de Grignan that Madame Martin was..."
- Steven Zdatny (1999), Hairstyles and fashion: a hairdresser's history of Paris, 1910-1920
- Amory, Cleveland and Blackwell,, Amory, Cleveland and Earl (1973). Celebrity Register, Volume 3. New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 268.
- Reed, Paula (2012). Fifty Fashion Looks that Changed the 1960s. Design Museum, London: Hachette UK. ISBN 1840916176.
- "Fifties Glamour with "Teasy-Weasy"". Black Country Bugle. 2007-05-31. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Fox, Imogen (4 December 2006). "The close up: James Brown, hairdresser". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "Revealed: the strategic cuts behind Cameron's swing from right to left." The Independent. 16 October 2010. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "Nicky Clarke takes estranged wife to Buckingham Palace to receive 'OBE'". London: Daily Mail. 19 February 2008. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Stout, Liz. "Pick of the best hairdryer". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Mount, Harry (11 January 2003). "Portrait of a driver: Errol Douglas". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Holiday Hair Salon". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Celebrity hair stylist Errol Douglas' top tips to holiday-proof your hair". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Sherrow, Victoria (2006). Encyclopedia of hair : a cultural history (1. publ. ed.). Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press. p. 341. ISBN 9780313331459.
- Hilary Alexander (4 November 2010), "VM Award for Royal hairdresser Denise McAdam", Daily Telegraph (London)
- "Paisley Helped Make Me a Cut Above the Rest". 20 June 2007. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "Lee Stafford", Celebrity Scissorhands, BBC
- Tom Vallance (31 May 1997), "Sydney Guilaroff", The Independent (London)
- "73rd Annual Academy Awards Full Cast". IMDB. Retrieved 15 August 2013.