Chad Michael Murray
|Chad Michael Murray|
August 24, 1981 |
Buffalo, New York, United States
|Other names||Chad Murray|
Chad Michael Murray (born August 24, 1981) is an American actor, spokesperson and former fashion model. He is well known for portraying Lucas Scott in The CW young adult drama series One Tree Hill, in addition to the films A Cinderella Story, Freaky Friday and House of Wax. Popular among teenagers and young adults, he has posed on the cover of numerous mainstream magazines, including Rolling Stone, People, Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly.
Murray was born in Buffalo, New York. He is the son of Rex Murray, an air traffic controller, and was abandoned by his mother at a young age. His abandonment issues were the main reasons he took the part of Lucas Scott. He has three brothers, one half-brother and one half-sister.
Murray attended Clarence High School, in Clarence, New York. He became a fan of literature, and was heavily involved in playing football. In his late teens, he broke his nose. This led to reports during his career that he had received a nose job. Murray clarified in a 2004 interview, "I got jumped in a Burger King when I was 18 and had my nose put on the other side of my face. It was three guys -- what the hell was I supposed to do? The doctors didn't even bother running X-rays. They just reset it. But it wasn't a nose job -- I hate the fact that people say it was a nose job!"
In 1999, Murray headed for Hollywood where he supported himself modeling for such clients as Skechers, Tommy Hilfiger and Gucci, the same year he was cast as Tristan DuGrey on Gilmore Girls; which was one of the main characters in the first season of the series and then became a recurring character thereafter. He appeared in several guest-starring television roles, including an episode of Diagnosis: Murder and an episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. Murray then appeared in several television films, such as Aftermath and Murphy's Dozen. Later that year, he portrayed the role Charlie Todd on the successful television series Dawson's Creek. In 2003, Murray appeared in the Walt Disney Pictures feature film, Freaky Friday alongside Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis. The film was a major box office success, garnering a total of $110,222,438 in the United States alone. Critics were mostly positive in their reviews of the film, and the film garnered a "B" grade on Yahoo! Movies and an 88% "Certified Fresh" approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Murray also appeared in the television film The Lone Ranger where he portrayed the role of Luke Hartman.
Later that year, Murray won the main role of Lucas Scott in the successful WB television series One Tree Hill. The series quickly became the channel's biggest hit with over 4.50 million viewers on the first season's finale. The series was The WB's most successful and top rated television program when it first aired in 2003 and continued receiving top ratings for The CW. The series also earned Murray numerous awards, including two Teen Choice Awards, and spawned a book series which was successful among critics who praised the cast's performances and the original story lines. After Murray gained mainstream fame and media exposure, he also became a spokesperson for several high-profile deals. He and his One Tree Hill co-stars were the official endorsers for MasterCard and K-Mart. In addition, they endorsed the Cingular Wireless and Chevy Cobalt.
Following Murray's starring role on One Tree Hill in 2003, he appeared on the cover of several mainstream magazines such as Rolling Stone and People. That same year, he was voted as one of "TV's Sexiest Guys" in People magazine. In 2004, Murray starred in the romantic comedy A Cinderella Story with Hilary Duff. Though the reviews were mostly negative, the film went on to become a moderate box office success, and critics were impressed by Duff's performance. A Cinderella Story earned $70.1 million worldwide. The film led to many 2006 Teen Choice Awards wins for many categories. Later that year, Murray was named one of the "Sexiest Men Alive" by People magazine and appeared on the cover of the magazine.
In 2005, Murray starred in House of Wax. The film grossed $12 million in its first day. Though most film critics gave the film negative reviews, House of Wax earned over $68,766,121 worldwide. The film led to Murray receiving the 2006 Teen Choice Awards win category for "Choice Movie Actor: Action/Adventure/Thriller". In May 2009, The CW announced Murray would not be returning to One Tree Hill for its seventh season. A video of Murray was recorded in which he was telling fans that they did not want him back because they wanted to save money. However, Mark Schwann said in an interview that he had been offered "great things" to return to the show.
In 2010, Murray played Alicia Keys's love interest in her music video for "Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready)". Murray also co-starred in Christmas Cupid with Ashley Benson and Christina Milian. The film is an ABC Family Original Movie and is "more or about a comatose girl who visits her Christmas past, present, and future". Murray released a novel in September 2011, titled Everlast. In August 2011, it was announced by The CW that he will make a guest appearance as Lucas Scott in the upcoming and last season of One Tree Hill. The episode aired on February 22, 2012. In March 2012, it was announced that he had been cast as the male lead in ABC's pilot Scruples. In 2013, Murray appeared in Fruitvale Station, a film chronicling the last day of Oscar Grant, who was killed by a police officer at a BART station. The film won two major awards at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival.
Murray got engaged to his One Tree Hill co-star Sophia Bush in May 2004, and they married on April 16, 2005 in Santa Monica, California. They announced their separation in September 2005, after five months of marriage. In February 2006, Bush filed papers seeking an annulment on the grounds of fraud. Bush's petition was denied, and she and Murray were instead granted a divorce in December 2006.
Following his separation from Bush, Murray began dating Kenzie Dalton, whom he met in 2005 when Dalton, a first runner-up in the 2005 Miss North Carolina Teen USA pageant, was an extra on One Tree Hill. They became engaged in April 2006, but ended their relationship in August 2013 after a seven-year engagement. Murray is currently dating his Left Behind co-star Nicky Whelan.
|2001||Murphy's Dozen||TV movie|
|2001||Megiddo: The Omega Code 2||David Alexander - Age 16|
|2001||Aftermath||Sean||Credited as Chad Murray; TV movie|
|2003||The Lone Ranger||Luke Hartman||TV movie|
|2004||A Cinderella Story||Austin Ames|
|2005||House of Wax||Nick Jones|
|2006||Home of the Brave||Jordan Owens|
|2010||Lies in Plain Sight||Ethan McAllister||TV movie|
|2010||Christmas Cupid||Patrick||TV movie|
|2012||Scruples||Spider Elliott||TV movie|
|2012||Day One||Jamie Tworkowski|
|2013||Fruitvale Station||Officer Ingram|
|2013||The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia||Andy Wyrick|
|2013||A Madea Christmas||Tanner|
|2014||Left Behind||Cameron "Buck" Williams||Post-Production|
|2014||Other People's Children||P.K.||Post-Production|
|2000||Diagnosis: Murder||Ray Santucci||Episode: "The Cradle Will Rock"|
|2000–2001||Gilmore Girls||Tristin Dugray||Recurring (Seasons 1–2); 11 episodes|
|2001–2002||Dawson's Creek||Charlie Todd||Recurring (Season 5); 12 episodes|
|2002||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Tom Haviland||Episode: "The Accused Is Entitled"|
|2003–2009, 2012||One Tree Hill||Lucas Scott||Lead Role (Seasons 1–6) / Guest Star (Season 9); 131 episodes, Writer (Season 6, episode 11)|
|2013||Southland||Dave Mendoza||2 episodes|
|2013||Chosen||Jacob Orr||6 episodes|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards Choice Breakout Movie Star - Male||Won||A Cinderella Story|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards Choice Breakout TV Star - Male||Won||One Tree Hill|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards Choice TV Actor: Drama/Action/Adventure||Nominated||One Tree Hill|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Actor: Action/Adventure/Thriller||Won||House of Wax|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Rumble (with Elisha Cuthbert and Brian Van Holt)||Nominated||House of Wax|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Chemistry (with Hilary Duff)||Nominated||A Cinderella Story|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Liplock (with Hilary Duff)||Nominated||A Cinderella Story|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Love Scene (with Hilary Duff)||Nominated||A Cinderella Story|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards Choice TV Actor: Drama||Nominated||One Tree Hill|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards Choice TV Chemistry (with James Lafferty)||Nominated||One Tree Hill|
|2006||Teen Choice Awards Choice TV Actor: Drama/Action/Adventure||Nominated||One Tree Hill|
|2006||Prism Award Best Performance in a Drama Series Storyline||Nominated||One Tree Hill|
|2008||Teen Choice Awards Choice TV Actor: Drama||Won||One Tree Hill|
- Fears, Linda (March 2004). "Chad Michael Murray". YM.
- "Eye candy on The WB's One Tree Hill -- Chad Michael Murray -- The Must List 2004". Entertainment Weekly. June 25, 2004. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Building a Winning Team: The Making of One Tree Hill (Documentary). One Tree Hill: The Complete First Season: Warner Brothers Home Entertainment.
- Christine Roberts (2004). One Tree Hunks: The Unauthorized Biographies of Chad Michael Murray and James Lafferty. Random House, Inc. pp. 73–74. ISBN 0-345-47952-1, ISBN 978-0-345-47952-5. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- Fine, Aubrey. "Getting to Know: Chad Michael Murray". Seventeen. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Chad Michael Murray Biography (1981-)". filmreference.com. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- Hopkins, Brent (May 21, 2004). "KMart Gets Hip Retailer Swings Deal With The WB". The Free Library. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "One Tree Hill update - May 2005". One Tree Hill Web. May 19, 2005. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "TV's Sexiest Guys". People Magazine. November 24, 2004. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "A Cinderella Story Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "Cinderella Story, A". Urban Cinefile. Retrieved November 25, 2007.
- "A Cinderella Story (2004)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "Awards for Chad Michael Murray". imdb. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Mitovich (May 12, 2009). "Breaking: Two Stars Exit One Tree Hill". TVGuide.com. Retrieved May 12, 2009.
- Martin, Denise (May 12, 2009). "One Tree Hill stars Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton exit". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 2, 2010.
- "Alicia Keys 'Unthinkable' video premiers featuring Chad Michael Murray". IMDb. May 12, 2010. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- Loomis, George (May 13, 2010). "Chad Michael Murray Stars In Alicia Keys' "Unthinkable" Video-- We Dissect His Looks!". MTV.com. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "Twitter / Ashley Benson: For those asking...the mov". Twitter.com. 2010-07-26. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Chad Michael Murray books ABC Family's 'Ex-Mas Carol' - From Inside the Box - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Chad Michael Murray | Everlast". Thechadmichaelmurray.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "CHAD MICHAEL MURRAY RETURNS TO "ONE TREE HILL"". The CW. August 29, 2011. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 12, 2012). "Chad Michael Murray Set as Male Lead in ABC's Natalie Portman-Produced Pilot 'Scruples'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 17, 2012.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (July 14, 2004). "Chad Michael Murray to Marry Sophia Bush". People. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Naff, Lycia; Kappes, Serena (April 18, 2005). "Chad Michael Murray Marries Sophia Bush". People. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Chad Michael Murray, Sophia Bush Split". People. September 26, 2005. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Warrick, Pamela (February 28, 2006). "Sophia Bush Cites 'Fraud' in Annulment". People. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Celebrity Annulments". Forbes.com. April 12, 2007. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Lee, Ken (December 29, 2006). "Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush's Divorce Is Final". People. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Fast Forward His marriage not yet ended, Chad Michael Murray steps out with his new, teen fiancee Kenzie Dalton". People. April 24, 2006. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- Veitch, Kristen (December 7, 2006). "Who Knew? Chad Michael Murray Still Engaged". E! Online. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Chad Michael Murray and Kenzie Dalton End Engagement". People. September 20, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Barker, Olivia (September 20, 2013). "Chad Michael Murray splits from fiancee of 7 years". USA Today.
- Webber, Stephanie (October 30, 2013), Chad Michael Murray Is Dating Australian Actress, Model Nicky Whelan: See Their PDA Picture!, Us Weekly, retrieved November 1, 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chad Michael Murray.|