Chase Bank (Kenya)
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards|
|Revenue||Aftertax: US$5 million (KES:427 million) (Q1:2014)|
|Total assets||US$1.1 billion (KES:90.7 billion) (Q1:2014)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||The Relationship Bank|
Chase Bank (Kenya) is a large financial services provider in Kenya, with an estimated asset valuation of approximately US$1.04 billion (KES:93.6 billion), as of September 2014. As of November 2013[update], the bank's shareholders' equity was valued at about US$116.8 million (KES:10.5 billion).At the end of 2013, Chase Bank (Kenya), was ranked 12th in size by assets, out of 43 commercial banks operating in the country at that time.
In 1995, several business people acquired a 60% stake in United Bank (Kenya), after paying approximately US$1.23 million (Kenya Shillings 95 million). At that time the bank's headquarters were located in the western town of Kisumu, approximately 380 kilometres (240 mi), by road, northwest of Nairobi, Kenya's capital and largest city.
Then, United Bank (Kenya) was in receivership and was under statutory administration by the Central Bank of Kenya, the country's banking regulator. Its paid-up capital, then, was approximately US$970,000 and it had an asset base valued at approximately US$1.9 million. In 1996, the bank opened for business under the new owners who rebranded to its present name. In 1997, a decision was made to relocate the bank's only branch at the time, from Kisumu to Nairobi. Over the years, Chase Bank (Kenya) has progressively improved its bottom line by growing its customer base and increasing its profitability.
In March 2013, Amethis Finance, a development finance company based in Paris, France, invested US$10.5 million (KES:900 million) into the bank, thereby taking an equity position in Chase Bank (Kenya). In October 2013, a European Private Equity Fund, invested KSh1.5 billion into the bank, taking up an equity position into the institution. As of November 2013[update], the shareholders in the stock of the bank is summarized in the table below:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Amethis Finance of France|
|2||German Investment Corporation (DEG)|
|3||European Investment Bank (EIB)|
|4||responsAbility Participations AG|
|5||Other Institutional & Individual Investors|
The Chase Group of companies currently comprises Conventional and Shariah Compliant (Chase Iman) banking products and services, bancassurance products (Chase Assurance), stock brokerage (Genghis Capital), off shore investments (Orchid Capital Limited), international healthcare covers (Tulip Healthcare) and property development (The Lighthouse Property Company) . In addition, the Group also has micro-finance services offered via Rafiki Microfinance, a deposit-taking microfinance bank. Currently Rafiki is the only East African deposit taking micro-finance entity wholly owned by a banking institution.
- Nairobi Branches
- City Centre Branch - Prudential Assurance Building, Wabera Street Nairobi
- Buru Buru Branch - Kenol Buru Buru, Mumias South Road, Nairobi
- Diamond Plaza Branch - Diamond Plaza, Parklands, Nairobi
- Donholm Branch - East Gate Shopping Mall, Nairobi
- Eastleigh Branch - Sunrise Shopping Mall, First Avenue, Eastleigh, Nairobi,
- Elite Banking Centre - 1st Floor, ABC Towers, Waiyaki Way, Nairobi
- Embakasi Branch - Ground Floor, Taj Shopping Mall, Outer Ring Road, Embakasi, Nairobi
- Hurlingham Branch - Ground Floor, Northern Wing, Landmark Plaza, Argwings Kodhek Road, Nairobi
- Ngara Branch - Peace Plaza, Ngara Road, Nairobi
- Parklands Branch - Ground Floor, Mediplaza, Third Avenue, Parklands, Nairobi
- Riverside Mews Branch - Riverside Mews, Riverside Drive, Nairobi
- Sameer Park Branch - Sameer Park, Mombasa Road, Nairobi
- Strathmore Branch - Strathmore Student Center, Madaraka Estate, Ole Sangale Road, Nairobi
- Upper Hill Branch - KMA Centre, Junction of Chyulu / Mara Road, Upper Hill, Nairobi
- Village Market Branch - 3rd Level, Village Market, Limuru Road, Gigiri, Nairobi
- Windsor Branch - Ridgeways Mall, Kiambu Road, Nairobi
- Ongata Rongai Branch - Masaai Mall, Rongai Road Nairobi
- Delta Branch - Delta Towers, Westlands Roundabout Nairobi
- Lunga Lunga Branch, next to Tuskys Lunga Lunga, Industrial Area Nairobi
- River Road Branch - Sundries Plaza, Ground floor ,River Road Next to Sagret Hotel Nairobi
- Kilimani Branch - Adlife Plaza, Kilimani Nairobi
- Kasuku Express Branch - Kasuku Center, Kileleshwa Nairobi
- Karen Branch - Water Mark, Business Plaza, Karen Nairobi
- Lavington Branch - 3rd Floor, Lavington Green Mall, Lavington Nairobi
- Kimathi Branch - Ansh Plaza, Kimathi Street Nairobi
- Madaraka Express Branch - Along Langata Road Opp Getrudes at TOTAL Gas Station Nairobi
- Mombasa Branches
- Bondeni Branch - Ground Floor, Suhufi Palace, Abdel Nasser Road, Mombasa
- Mombasa Branch - Ground Floor, Jubilee Building, Moi Avenue, Mombasa
- Nyali Branch - Nyali Plaza, Links Road, Mombasa
- Mtwapa Branch - Tuskys Mall, Mtwapa Mombasa
- Old Town Branch - Opposite Central Police Station Mombasa
- KPA Branch - KPA Mombasa
- Kilifi Express Branch - Kenol Kobil, Kilifi Road Kilifi
- Upcountry branches
- Eldoret Branch - Utamaduni Building, Kenyatta Street, Eldoret
- Kisii Branch - Royal Towers, Hospital Road, Kisii
- Kisumu Branch - West Emporium, Oginga Odinga Street, Kisumu
- Kisumu Express - Naivas Mall, Jomo Kenyatta Road, Kisumu
- Malindi Branch - Links Road, Opposite Multi Grocers Limited, Malindi
- Nakuru Branch - Spikes Business Centre, Kenyatta Avenue, Nakuru
- Thika Branch - Nelleon Building, Kenyatta Avenue, Thika
- Machakos Branch - at Naivas House, along Mwatu wa Ngoma Rd., Machakos Town Machakos
- Garissa Branch - Lilac Plaza along Kismayu Road
- Narok Branch - Ol Talet Mall.Ground Floor, Opposite KCB Along Nairobi Kisii Highway Narok
- Kitale Branch - Nakumatt Mall, Mega Centre Kitale
- Kericho Branch - Ratan Plaza along Kenyatta Road Kericho
The bank is governed by a eight-person board of directors. Zafrullah Khan, is the Chairman of the Board. Duncan Kabui serves as the Group Managing Director. Paul Njaga, serves as the Chief Executive Officer, although not a member of the board of directors.
- CBK, . "Central Bank of Kenya: Directory of Commercial Banks And Mortgage Finance Companies" (PDF). Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Gakii, Mercy (29 April 2014). "Chase Bank Profits Rise By 61 Percent to Sh427 Millon". The Star (Nairobi) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Bankelele, . (28 April 2014). "Kenya Bank Rankings By Assets 2013". Bankelele.Co.Ke. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Map Showing Nairobi And Kisumu With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Mwaniki, Charles (19 March 2013). "French Investor Buys KSh900 Million Stake In Chase Bank". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Ngigi, George (6 October 2013). "Europe Equity Fund Buys Chase Bank Shares for KSh1.5 Billion". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Capital, FM (15 November 2013). "Kenya: Chase Bank Gets KSh1.6 Billion Capital Injection". Capital FM (Nairobi) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Munda, Constant (19 November 2013). "Kenya: Chase Bank Receives KSh865 Million Boost". The Star (Nairobi). Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Ngigi, George (18 February 2014). "Chase Bank Subsidiary Bets Big On Mortgage Loans". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "The Branches of Chase Bank (Kenya)". Chase Bank Kenya. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "The Members of the Board of Directors". Chase Bank Kenya. Retrieved 4 August 2014.