Christ Church (Alexandria, Virginia)
Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia
|Location||118 North Washington Street, Alexandria, Virginia|
|Built||Completed February 27, 1773|
|NRHP Reference #||70000899|
|Added to NRHP||May 10, 1970|
|Designated NHL||April 15, 1970|
|Designated VLR||September 18, 1973|
Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia, is an Episcopal church built from 1767 to 1773 by John Carlyle. The church was designed by James Wren in the colonial style, and frequented by such notables as George Washington, Robert E. Lee, and Philip Richard Fendall I. In addition, Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill visited the church on January 1, 1942 to commemorate World Day of Prayer for Peace. Today, the church has over 2,400 members.
The brick two-story church measures about 60 feet (18 m) by 50 feet (15 m). Comparable to the less altered Pohick Church in the same parish, the church has been embellished with stone quoins and window surrounds. The roof is a simple hipped structure. A prominent tower was added between 1785 and 1815, as well as upper level galleries in the interior.
Among the burials in the church cemetery is the mass grave of thirty-four Confederate prisoners of war who died in local prison camps during the American Civil War. A memorial stone in the churchyard commemorates their deaths.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 03-12-2013. Check date values in:
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Christ Church". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- "Christ Church (Alexandria), Virginia". National Park Service. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Christ Church" (pdf). National Park Service. , 19. Check date values in:
|date=(help) and PDF (32 KB)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christ Church (Alexandria, Virginia).|
- Official website of Christ Church
- History of Christ Church
- Christ Church (Episcopal), Columbus & Cameron Streets, Alexandria, Independent City, VA at the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)
|This article about a property in Alexandria, Virginia on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|