January 19, 1989
|Other names||The Diamond|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Lafayette, Louisiana, United States|
|Team||American Top Team|
|Rank||brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Website||Official UFC Profile|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Dustin Glenn Poirier (born January 19, 1989) is an American mixed martial artist, currently competing as a featherweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Poirier is one of the subjects of the documentary Fightville by Petra Epperlein and Michael Tucker, which examines the mixed martial arts scene in southern Louisiana. As of October 27, 2014, he is #6 in official UFC featherweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Poirier turned professional in 2009, quickly compiled a record of 7-0, competing mostly in regional promotions across the Southern United States.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Ultimate Fighting Championship
After the UFC/WEC merger, newly crowned UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo was set to make his first defence against No. 1 contender Josh Grispi at UFC 125. Aldo then had to withdraw from the bout due to a back injury on November 23, 2010. Poirier agreed to step in and face Grispi at the event on January 1, 2011. Poirier won the fight by unanimous decision.
Poirier was expected to face Rani Yahya on June 11, 2011 at UFC 131. However, Yahya was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer, Jason Young. Poirier defeated Young via unanimous decision after three rounds.
Poirier was expected to face Erik Koch on February 4, 2012 at UFC 143. However, Koch pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Ricardo Lamas. Then, just two weeks later, Lamas had to withdraw from the fight with an injury, leaving Poirier again without an opponent. A week later, UFC newcomer Max Holloway agreed to step in to fight Poirier. Poirier defeated Holloway in the first round, with a triangle-armbar from the mount position.
Poirier faced Chan Sung Jung on May 15, 2012 in the main event at UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier. Jung defeated Poirier via submission (D'arce Choke) in the fourth round. The performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors. The bout was honored as Fight of the Year by several publications at the conclusion of 2012.
Poirier quickly returned to action, taking his second fight within 63 days as he stepped in as a replacement for an injured Dennis Siver. He faced Cub Swanson in the co-main event on February 16, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald. Poirier lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Fight of the Year (2012) vs. Jung Chan-Sung on May 15
- XM/Sirius Fight Club
- Fight of the Year (2012) vs. Jung Chan-Sung on May 15
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||16 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||16–4||Conor McGregor||TKO (punches)||UFC 178||September 27, 2014||1||1:46||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–3||Akira Corassani||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale: Bisping vs. Kennedy||April 16, 2014||2||0:42||Quebec City, Quebec, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–3||Diego Brandão||KO (punches)||UFC 168||December 28, 2013||1||4:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||151.5 lb catchweight bout; Brandão missed weight.|
|Win||14–3||Erik Koch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 164||August 31, 2013||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||13–3||Cub Swanson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||February 16, 2013||3||5:00||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Win||13–2||Jonathan Brookins||Submission (D'Arce choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale||December 15, 2012||1||4:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12–2||Chan Sung Jung||Submission (D'Arce choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||4||1:07||Fairfax, Virginia, United States||Fight of the Night; Fight of the Year (2012).|
|Win||12–1||Max Holloway||Submission (mounted triangle armbar)||UFC 143||February 4, 2012||1||3:23||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Pablo Garza||Submission (D'Arce choke)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos||November 12, 2011||2||1:32||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||10–1||Jason Young||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 131||June 11, 2011||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||9–1||Josh Grispi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Featherweight debut.|
|Win||8–1||Zach Micklewright||TKO (punches)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||1||0:53||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Danny Castillo||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||Derek Gauthier||KO (punch)||Ringside MMA||June 18, 2010||1||0:57||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||6–0||Derek Krantz||Submission (armbar)||USA MMA - Night of Champions 2||March 6, 2010||2||3:35||Lafayette, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||5–0||Ronny Lis||Technical Submission (armbar)||USA MMA - Border War 2||November 13, 2009||1||0:51||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||4–0||Daniel Watts||KO (punches)||BFC||October 31, 2009||1||1:26||Greenville, Mississippi, United States|
|Win||3–0||Joe Torrez||TKO (punches)||USA MMA 8 - Natural Disaster 3||August 1, 2009||1||2:37||New Iberia, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||2–0||Nate Jolly||Submission (armbar)||CFC||June 26, 2009||2||3:54||New Iberia, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||1–0||Aaron Suarez||KO (punches)||USA MMA 7 - River City Rampage||May 16, 2009||1||1:19||Shreveport, Louisiana, United States|
- "Print Fight Card - UFC 178 Johnson vs. Cariaso". UFC.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Fightville MMA Documentary with UFCs Dustin Poirier Release Date details and video trailer". mmamania.com. March 1, 2012.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Danny Castillo vs. newcomer Dustin Poirier a late addition to WEC 50 fight card". mmjunkie.com. 2010-07-26.
- "Zack Micklewright vs. Dustin Poirier targeted for WEC 52 in November". MMAjunkie.com. 2010-09-18.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Dustin Poirier Steps In To Face Josh Grispi at UFC 125". MMAWeekly.com. November 24, 2010.
- "Dustin Poirier vs. Rani Yahya Targeted For UFC 131". Heavy.com. February 19, 2011.
- "With Yahya Injured, Poirier now meets newcomer Young at UFC 131". MMAJunkie. May 3, 2011.
- "Dustin Poirier vs. Pablo Garza Announced as First Bout for Fox Fight Night Nov 12". MMAWeekly.com. August 18, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Erik Koch vs. Dustin Poirier added to February's UFC 143 event". mmajunkie.com. 2011-11-15.
- "Replacement Ricardo Lamas meets Dustin Poirier at UFC 143 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. December 21, 2011.
- "Ricardo Lamas Injured, Out of UFC 143 Fight Against Dustin Poirier". HeavyMMA.com. January 4, 2012.
- "Dustin Poirier vs. Chan Sung Jung headlines UFC on FX 3 in Virginia". mmajunkie.com. February 10, 2012.
- "2012 Fight of the Year: Chan-Sung Jung vs. Dustin Poirier". mmafighting.com. December 21, 2012.
- "Dustin Poirier set to face Jonathan Brookins at TUF 16 Finale". mmafighting.com. October 21, 2012.
- "Dustin Poirier replaces Dennis Siver, meets Cub Swanson at UFC on FUEL TV 7". mmajunkie.com. January 17, 2013.
- Jeff Cain (2013-05-23). "Dustin Poirier vs. Erik Koch Has Been Added to the UFC 164 Fight Card in Milwaukee". mmaweekley.com. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2013-09-19). "UFC 168 gets Dustin Poirier vs. Diego Brandao". mmafighting.com. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- Staff (2014-02-28). "Dustin Poirier meets Akira Corassani at TUF Nations Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- Staff (2014-04-16). "TUF Nations Finale bonuses: Poirier, Corrasani earn 'Fight of the Night' awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-07-22). "Conor McGregor-Dustin Poirier Featherweight Clash Official for UFC 178 in Las Vegas". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Staff (2015-01-17). "Dustin Poirier returns to 155, meets Diego Ferreira at UFC Fight Night 63 in Fairfax, Va.". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-17.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 23, 2013). "The 2012 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Annual Awards Issue". Wrestling Observer Newsletter (Campbell, California). ISSN 1083-9593.