Department of Information Technology (Tamil Nadu)
|Minister responsible||Mukkur N. Subramanian,, Minister for Information Technology|
|Agency executive||Thiru S.K Prabakar IAS,, Principal Secretary (India) to the Government|
The Department of Information Technology of state of Tamil Nadu is one of the Department of Government of Tamil Nadu
- The Department of Information Technology was established in 1998. The Department was formed with the reallocation of subject "Information Technology" from the "Industries Department of Secretariat" and the subject "Data warehousing" from the Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Department.
Functions of the Department
Keeping in mind the importance of the rapid growth of Information Technology and considering the necessity for its introduction and growth in all the fields of Tamil Nadu, the Government have created a separate Department in Secretariat called "Information Technology Department". The Government have identified 'Better Governance and Service Delivery' by improving the service orientation of Government employees; accelerating e-Governance in Government Departments as one of the critical areas where new initiatives are necessary, a e-Governance cell manned by persons who have Information Technology literacy has been formed and it is taking up with various initiatives on Information Technology enabled services by the Government and closely monitor them in Information Technology Department and also following up the District and State Level Committees under e.Governance initiatives.
According to the allocation of subjects as per the Business Rules, this Department has been allocated the following items of work:
- State Subjects:
- All administrative and Technical matters relating to SECNET, Internet and e-mail Services
- Computer training
- Co-ordination with National Informatics Centre (NIC)
- Creation and Administration of Website for State Government 6
- Data Warehousing
- Electronics Corporation of Tamil Nadu (ELCOT)
- Tamil Virtual University (TVU)
- Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency (TNeGA)
- Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation
- Society for Electronic Transactions and Security (SETS)
- IT Policy & ITES Policy
- Tamil Nadu State Wide Area Network (TNSWAN)
- Secretariat Knowledge System (SKS)
- Destination of Choice - Initiatives
- e-Governance initiatives
- Information Technology Infrastructure
- Information Technology initiatives
- Issue of Guidelines for Purchase of Computers
- Annual Maintenance Contract and condemnation of Computers and accessories relating to State Government Departments.
- Information Technology in Government
- Public Services – Statutory Rules of the Services with which the Department is concerned – Revision of and amendments to those rules
- Tamil Nadu Institute of Information Technology (TANITEC)
- Technical opinions being sought by user Departments
Sub - Departments
|Directorate of e - Governance|
Undertakings & Bodies
|Electronics Corporation of Tamil Nadu(ELCOT)||http://www.elcot.in/|
|Tamil Virtual University (TVU)||http://www.tamilvu.org/|
|Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency (TNeGA)||http://www.tnega.in/|
|Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation||http://126.96.36.199/|
|Tamil Nadu Institute of Information Technology (TANITEC)|
Present Ministers (2011-Till)
- Mukkur N. Subramanian - Minister for Information Technology
- Poongothai Aladi Aruna - (2006-2011)
- Government of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Government's Departments
- Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (India)
- Department of Finance (Kerala)
- "Minister for Information Technology". http://www.tn.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Secretary to the Government". http://www.tn.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "departments created" (PDF). http://www.tn.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Objective of the Department" (PDF). http://www.tn.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Works of the Department" (PDF). http://www.tn.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Sub - Departments under Information Technology Department" (PDF). http://www.tn.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Organisations under the Information Technology Department" (PDF). http://www.tn.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- http://www.tn.gov.in/departments/it.html (Official Website of the Tamil Nadu Information Technology Department)
- http://www.tn.gov.in (Official website of Government of Tamil Nadu)