First Norfolk & Suffolk
|Service type||Bus services|
|Fleet||258 (March 2013)|
In July 1931 the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company was formed. It was a combination of the four existing bus companies in East Anglia. Eastern Counties Road Car Company of Ipswich, Ortona Motor Company of Cambridge and Peterborough Electric Traction Company all owned by Tilling & British Automobile Traction and United Automobile Services' East Anglia services and commenced with 534 buses.
Upon completion the major shareholders were United Automobile Services (43%), Tilling & British Automobile Traction (28%), London & North Eastern Railway (24%) and London Midland & Scottish Railway (3%). Also included was the Eastern Coach Works in Lowestoft. By the end of the 1930s the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company purchased another 50 operators.
In September 1942 Tilling & British Automobile Traction was placed in administration and its Eastern Counties Omnibus Company shareholding transferred to Tilling Group. In November 1948 it was nationalised and placed under the control of the British Transport Commission and in January 1969 became part of the National Bus Company.
In preparation for bus deregulation, in September 1984 the company's operations in Cambridgeshire were transferred to a separate company, Cambus Limited. The company's coaching operations were also transferred to Ambassador Travel, Great Yarmouth.
In February 1987 the company was privatised in a management buyout. In July 1994 it was sold to the GRT Group who in June 1995 merged with Badgerline to form FirstBus. In September 1996 the Great Yarmounth Transport business was purchased.
As at March 2013 the fleet consisted of 258 buses.
- Companies House extract company no 257815 First Eastern Counties Buses Limited formerly Eastern Counties Omnibus Company Limited
- A brief history of the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company EasterCountiesOmnibusCo
- Operators acquired by the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company between 1932 and 1971 EasterCountiesOmnibusCo
- Companies House extract company no 1822941 Cambus Limited
- Companies House extract company no 1822939 Ambassador Travel (Anglia) Limited formerly Ambassador Travel (Eastern Counties) Limited
- Morris, Stephen (Autumn 1996). "NBC since NBC: A history of the NBC operating subsidiaries". Buses Focus: 43–45.
- Helm, Martin (January 2009). An incredible journey..the First story. Granta Editions. p. 203. ISBN 978-1857570960.
- Companies House extract company no 2001520 Leathway Limited formerly Great Yarmouth Transport Limited
- Norfolk Green takes over First routes King's Lynn Online15 April 2011
- Norfolk Green grows as First retrenches busandcoach.com 15 April 2011
- FirstGroup Fleetlist Steve White
- Company website
- Eastern Counties Flickr gallery
- First Eastern Counties Flick gallery
- Showbus gallery