|Service type||Bus services|
|Fleet||938 (March 2013)|
|Website||First Greater Glasgow|
First Glasgow is the largest bus company serving the Greater Glasgow area in Scotland. It is a subsidiary of FirstGroup. The company operates within the area covered by the Strathclyde Partnership for Transport, a public body responsible for helping to co-ordinate public transport services in the Greater Glasgow area.
First Glasgow was created through FirstGroup's buyout of Strathclyde Buses (created from the former Greater Glasgow Passenger Transport Executive bus fleet, formerly the municipal Glasgow Corporation Transport), which had itself recently bought out the former Kelvin Central Buses (an amalgamation of Kelvin Scottish and Central Scottish, owned by the state-owned Scottish Bus Group).
First Glasgow has two operator's licences:
- First Glasgow No 1 Limited - the former Strathclyde Buses licence
- First Glasgow No 2 Limited - the former Kelvin Central Buses licence
Buses carry legal signwriting for First Glasgow Limited, despite of this having been a dormant company since at least 2008.
As at March 2013 the fleet consisted of 938 buses and coaches.
First Glasgow currently operates out of six depots.
- Glasgow (Victoria Road, Larkfield)
- Dumbarton (Birch Road)
- Glasgow (Tollcross Road, Parkhead)
- Glasgow (South Street, Scotstoun)
- Hamilton (Glasgow Road, Blantyre)
- Overtown (Castlehill Road)
In May 2013 Cumbernauld depot closed with staff, buses and services transferred to Larkfield, Parkhead and Blantyre depots.
First Glasgow mainly run services in Greater Glasgow and Lanarkshire areas of Strathclyde. However, some services do run outside of these areas. It was one of the first bus operators to introduce an "overground", a colour-coded set of bus routes with route branding on the bus exteriors and timetables. As of 2006, route branding has been removed from buses but remained on timetables until mid 2008. in may of 2013 the company introduced a new network in Glasgow called SIMPLICITY
- Takeover nets bus workers £35,000 The Independent 10 May 1996
- Bus takeover is finally cleared The Herald 1 August 1998
- FirstBus Plc and SB Holdings Limited: A freport on the merger situation Competition Commission
- About Us First Glasgow
- Companies House extract company no SC097299 First Glasgow No 1 Limited formerly Strathclyde Buses Limited
- Companies House extract company no SC127012 First Glasgow No 2 Limited formerly Kelvin Central Buses Limited
- Companies House extract company no SC129033 First Glasgow Limited
- FirstGroup Fleetlist Steve White
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to First Glasgow.|