|Born||Eunice Allen Lyons
July 20, 1896
Lake Charles, Louisiana, U.S.
|Died||January 31, 2011
(aged 114 years, 195 days)
Cherokee County, Texas, U.S.
|Known for||Oldest living person in the United States (April 6, 2010 – January 31, 2011)|
|Spouse(s)||Joe Orchin (1913–1928)
Wesley Garrett (?–?)
Grant Sanborn (?–1979)
|Children||Dorothy Orchin Hendrick (1915–2005)|
|Parents||Augustus and Varina Lyons|
Eunice Sanborn (July 20, 1896 – January 31, 2011) was an American supercentenarian who was thought to be the oldest verified living person in the world at the time of her death at age 114 years, 195 days. Sanborn became the recognized titleholder upon the death of Eugénie Blanchard on November 4, 2010. Subsequently, Guinness World Records recognized the claim of Maria Gomes Valentim, who was born July 9, 1896, but her claim was not verified until May 2011. Sanborn became one of the 50 verified longest lived people in the United States on March 2, 2010, and one of the 40 undisputed oldest people on January 27, 2011.
Sanborn's family claimed that the Census Bureau erroneously recorded her birth year, and that she was born on July 20, 1895, which, if true, would have made her 115 years, 195 days at the time of her death.
Sanborn was born Eunice Allen Lyons in Lake Charles, Louisiana, to Augustus and Varina Lyons. Her parents were of German and Irish heritage. Eunice Lyons first married in November 1913. Her first husband, Joe Orchin and the father of her daughter, was killed in an accident. In 1937, along with her second husband, Wesley Garrett, she moved to Texas. While in Texas, she was part-founder of Love's Lookout. The two were the first to build a concrete bottom pool in Cherokee County at that time. Her daughter Dorothy, who died in 2005 aged 90, along with her second husband, managed to keep the business going for a long period of time. After he died, Eunice married Grant Sanborn. He died in 1979. Sanborn lived in Jacksonville, Texas, until her death on January 31, 2011.
Although she never worked outside the home, Sanborn kept busy with community activities her entire life. She was an active member of First Baptist Church of Jacksonville and sang in the choir there for many years.
Longtime friend David French (who knew Sanborn since the age of five) and his wife Rena provided 24-hour care so Sanborn could remain in her home.
- List of supercentenarians from the United States
- List of the verified oldest women
- List of the verified oldest people
- "World's oldest woman dies aged 115". news.ninemsn.com.au. 2011 [last update]. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- "Europe's oldest person dies – Telegraph". telegraph.co.uk (London). May 10, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "Sanborn now oldest person in the world » Local News » Daily Progress, Jacksonville, TX". jacksonvilleprogress.com. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- New Oldest Living Person - Guinness World Records Confirms New Oldest Living Person
- "World's oldest woman dies at 115 in Texas: caretaker". AFP. 2011-01-31. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- Steddom, Gayle (2007-07-24). "Love’s Lookout founder Eunice Sanborn turns 112". Jacksonville Daily Progress. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- Guinness World Records Confirms New Oldest Living Person, Guinness World Records Blog, gwr press, November 5, 2010
- Oldest American is from East Texas, Tyler Morning Telegraph, Brian Pearson, Kelly Gooch—writers, April 7, 2010
- A century in the making, Jacksonville Daily Progress, Nathan Straus—writer, April 7, 2010
- America's oldest woman resides in Jacksonville, KYTX/19, CBS 19 News, Jennifer Heathcock—reporter, April 7, 2010
- The Old Coot blogsite
- Baptist Progress
|Oldest recognized living person in the United States
April 6, 2010 – January 31, 2011