Location in Accomack County and the state of Virginia.
|• Total||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|• Land||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||1,000/sq mi (340/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1495643|
Hallwood is located at (37.877418, -75.590589).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 290 people, 100 households, and 73 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,184.8 people per square mile (466.5/km2). There were 121 housing units at an average density of 494.3 per square mile (194.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 84.14% White, 4.48% African American, 1.03% Native American, 8.97% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.76% of the population.
There were 100 households out of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.0% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.0% were non-families. 22.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.90 and the average family size was 3.38.
In the town the population was spread out with 33.4% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 26.6% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 101.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $29,861, and the median income for a family was $30,000. Males had a median income of $20,625 versus $19,773 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,351. About 8.8% of families and 14.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.4% of those under the age of eighteen and 3.9% of those sixty five or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Hallwood has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Hallwood town, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Hallwood, Virginia