I Love Italy
I Love Italy (Io amo l'Italia, ALI), originally Protagonists for Christian Europe (Protagonisti per l'Europa Cristiana), is a Christian-democratic, national-conservative and Eurosceptic political party in Italy. Its leader and founder is Magdi Allam.
The party was founded on 30 November 2008 by Egyptian-born journalist Magdi Allam, who is a Catholic convert from Islam. According to Allam, ALI is a secular party supporting the Abrahamic roots of Europe and that is why the party is open also to Muslims who acknowledge these roots, which are synthesized in the three slogans of the party: "Truth and Freedom", "Faith and Reason", "Values and Rules". The party participated in the 2009 European Parliament election in list with the Union of the Centre, representing the internal right-wing of the UdC, and Allam was elected MEP.
The party was socially conservative and, in its program, supported: human rights, a pro-life stance, freedom and in particular religious freedom, the centrality of the family, democracy, economic liberalism, solidarity, subsidiarity, meritocracy and stewardship.
In late 2011 ALI was joined by two regional splinter groups of Lega Nord, who became associate parties: the Community Democratic League in Veneto and Tuscan Identity in Tuscany. At the same time, Magdi Allam left the Group of the European People's Party (EPP) and joined Lega Nord's group, Europe of Freedom and Democracy (EFD). Behind this decision, there were Allam's opposition to abortion and to the membership of the Turkish Justice and Development Party.
In 2013 I Love Italy joined to the political initiative "Workshop for Italy" (Officina per l'Italia) and in 2014 it became an associate party of Brothers of Italy.
- ""Il mio partito per l'Europa cristiana" - Corriere della Sera". Corriere.it. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- [dead link]
- Allam e il nuovo logo «by Forattini»
- "Li unisce la fede, nella politica. Magdi Allam e Davide Lovat: 'Io amo l'Italia & il Veneto' » VicenzaPiù". Vicenzapiu.com. 2006-07-26. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "Micheloni lancia Identità Toscana e si apparenta con Io amo l-Italia - Cronaca - il Tirreno". Iltirreno.gelocal.it. 2011-12-24. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Magdi Cristiano Allam - Gio, 15/12/2011 - 08:54 (2011-12-15). "No a aborto e shariaEcco per quale motivome ne vado dal Ppe" (in Italian). IlGiornale.it. Retrieved 2014-07-15.