August 13, 1985 |
Portland, Oregon, United States
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||126 lb (57 kg; 9.0 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Orlando, Florida|
|Team||Gracie Barra Orlando|
|Rank||purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Years active||2006-2012 2014-present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Jonathan Quinn Brookins (born August 13, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist who competed as a featherweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2006, Brookins has mostly fought in Florida, as well as competing in The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck. On December 4, 2010, Brookins defeated Michael Johnson to become the Ultimate Fighter and earn a contract with the UFC.
Mixed martial arts career
Brookins was introduced to mixed martial arts by Charles Bennett. After meeting him and training with him, Brookins made his professional MMA debut against Allen Berube, a TUF 5 veteran. Having only trained in wrestling, Brookins surprised himself by winning via KO in under twenty seconds.
Brookins has mostly fought at featherweight, most notably in World Extreme Cagefighting where he lost to Jose Aldo via TKO in the third round. Brookins would later rebound at Bellator 1 where he defeated Stephen Ledbetter via submission (rear naked choke).
Brookins then won two fights in G-Force fights, the most notable being a submission victory over Luis Palomino.
The Ultimate Fighter
In the debut episode, Brookins faced fellow wrestler Ran Weathers. Brookins would go on to take a unanimous decision victory in two rounds. Following this, Brookins was selected by Team GSP. Brookins was GSPs second pick and the fourth overall.
Brookins was picked by GSP to face Sevak Magakian in the preliminary house fights. Brookins faked a takedown, which fooled Magakian. Brookins was then able to take down Magakian before attempting a standing rear naked choke. Brookins eventually secured the submission at 2:04 of the opening round.
In the quarter-finals, Brookins faced Judo specialist Sako Chivitchian. Brookins was able to throw Chivitchian to the mat, which forced Chivitchian to try to stand up. Brookins then got hooks in and worked for a rear naked choke, eventually sealing it soon after, to advance to the semi-finals.
In the semi-final round, Brookins faced team-mate Kyle Watson. In a somewhat lopsided bout, Brookins controlled Watson on the ground to take a 30–27 judges decision. The win moved Brookins into the finals against Michael Johnson.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Brookins defeated Michael Johnson at The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck Finale. In the first round, Brookins was dominated on the feet by Johnson. However, he pulled through and used his wrestling to edge rounds 2 and 3, taking the unanimous decision to become The Ultimate Fighter.
Brookins was expected to face Rani Yahya on February 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 1. However, Yahya was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Vagner Rocha. Brookins won via KO in the first round.
Brookins next faced Dustin Poirier on December 15, 2012 at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson Finale. He lost the back-and-forth fight via submission in the first round.
Legacy Fighting Championship
On January 24, 2014 it was announced that Brookins would return from his retirement to fight for Legacy Fighting Championship. He is expected to drop down to the Flyweight division to make his debut on March 21 at Legacy FC 29 against Cody Fuller. Brookins was victorious in his flyweight debut with a second round submission finish.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||14 wins||6 losses|
|Win||14–6||Cody Fuller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Legacy FC 29||March 21, 2014||2||3:02||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States||Flyweight Debut|
|Loss||13–6||Dustin Poirier||Submission (d'arce choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale||December 15, 2012||1||4:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–5||Charles Oliveira||Submission (anaconda choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale||June 1, 2012||2||2:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–4||Vagner Rocha||KO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||1||1:32||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Loss||12–4||Erik Koch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger||September 17, 2011||3||5:00||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States||Return to Featherweight|
|Win||12–3||Michael Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter Season 12|
|Win||11–3||Yosdenis Cedeño||Decision (unanimous)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 3||February 4, 2010||3||5:00||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Win||10–3||Luis Palomino||Submission (rear-naked choke)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 2||September 26, 2009||2||1:44||Coral Gables, Florida, United States|
|Win||9–3||Stephen Ledbetter||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 1||April 3, 2009||1||3:32||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Loss||8–3||José Aldo||TKO (punches)||WEC 36||November 5, 2008||3||0:45||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||8–2||Jose Santibanez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||South Coast Promotions||July 18, 2008||1||2:07||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Greg Loughran||Decision (split)||CWFC USA: Battle Royale||March 29, 2008||3||5:00||Kissimmee, Florida, United States|
|Win||7–1||Jose Figueroa||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEF: King of the Streets||December 1, 2007||1||2:47||Kissimmee, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–1||Donald Brook||Submission (punches)||Harmful Intent Promotions 2||November 3, 2007||1||0:35||Estero, Florida, United States|
|Win||5–1||Yves Jabouin||Submission (elbows)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 2||June 30, 2007||2||3:35||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Harris Sarmiento||Decision (unanimous)||Shakedown: Maui vs. Oahu||May 19, 2007||3||5:00||Hawaii, United States|
|Win||4–0||Sean Bartlett||TKO (punches)||Combat Fighting Championships 3||February 17, 2007||1||4:05||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||3–0||Ryan Nakamura||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Combat Fighting Championship 2||September 23, 2006||1||1:09||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||2–0||York Ash||Submission (guillotine choke)||Full Throttle 8||August 11, 2006||1||3:58||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||1–0||Allen Berube||KO (punch)||Combat Fighting Championship||July 15, 2006||1||0:19||Orlando, Florida, United States|
- "Fight path: After rocky childhood Jonathan Brookins found unlikely inspiration in Krazy Horse". mmajunkie.com. June 3, 2010.
- "Meet the cast for The Ultimate Fighter 12, field includes 28 lightweights". mmajunkie.com. August 3, 2010.
- "Episode no.1 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. September 16, 2010.
- "Episode No. 2 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. September 22, 2010.
- "Episode No. 6 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. October 21, 2010.
- "Episode No. 9 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. November 10, 2010.
- "Episode No. 11 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. December 1, 2010.
- "UFC 129: Brookins-Makdessi, MacDonald-Wilks Set for April 30 in Toronto". mmafrenzy.com. January 4, 2011.
- "John Makdessi meets Kyle Watson, not Jonathan Brookins, at UFC 129". mmajunkie.com. January 11, 2011.
- "Jeremy Stephens vs. Jonathan Brookins likely for The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- "Downes replaces injured Brookins at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. May 10, 2011.
- "Jonathan Brookins vs. Erik Koch slated for UFC Fight Night 25 "Bayou" event". mmajunkie.com. 2011-06-11.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 1 adds Yahya vs. Brookins". mmajunkie.com. December 14, 2011. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 1 adds Brookins vs. Rocha". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2012.
- "Jonathan Brookins vs Charles Oliveira booked for June 1 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. April 7, 2012.
- "Dustin Poirier set to face Jonathan Brookins at TUF 16 Finale". mmafighting.com. October 21, 2012.
- "Broke Jonathan Brookins lost belief in fighting and himself; headed for spiritual journey to India". mmamania.com. December 20, 2012.
- "Legacy FC signs 'TUF 12' champ Jonathan Brookins, who's headed to flyweight". mmajunkie.com. January 24, 2014.
- Official Legacy Profile
- Official UFC Profile
- Professional MMA record for Jonathan Brookins from Sherdog