The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for events. (May 2012)|
|The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||June 20, 2009|
|Venue||Pearl Concert Theater|
The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale, also referred to as The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on June 20, 2009. Featured were finals from The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom in both the Lightweight and Welterweight divisions as well as a main event between Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida.
A previously announced lightweight bout between Thiago Tavares and Melvin Guillard was called off due to an elbow injury suffered by Tavares. Gleison Tibau would step in as Tavares' replacement.
A matchup between Anthony Johnson and Matt Brown was scrapped due to a knee injury suffered by Johnson. A replacement was set to be named, however, due to nagging injuries Brown did not fight on the card.
This was the first time in the organization's history, the UFC handed out three Fight of the Night bonuses. Another first for the UFC came in the form of Kim Winslow, the first female referee to officiate a fight in the organization.
This fight card is also noted for two controversial decisions in bouts pitting Brad Blackburn against Edgar Garcia and Melvin Guillard against Gleison Tibau. Both Blackburn and Guillard received split-decision victories from the judges in bouts that are considered questionable. The decisions cost Garcia his perfect record and snapped a two-fight win streak for Tibau.
This was the first UFC event to feature five Ultimate Fighter winners on the complete card, including season 9 champions Ross Pearson & James Wilks, and previous season champions Diego Sanchez, Joe Stevenson, and Nate Diaz. Only UFC 114 the following year has had the same number of TUF winners since.
- Dent defeated Dollar via submission (anaconda choke) at 4:46 of round 1.
- Osipczak defeated Lester via submission (rear naked choke) at 3:40 of round 1.
- Catchweight (208 lbs) bout: Mike Ciesnolevicz vs. Tomasz Drwal
- Drwal defeated Ciesnolevicz via TKO (knee and punches) at 4:48 of round 1.
- Blackburn defeated Garcia via split decision (29–28, 28–29, 29–28).
- Guillard defeated Tibau via split decision (29–28, 28–29, 29–28).
- Stevenson defeated Diaz via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28).
- Pearson defeated Winner via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28) to become the Season 9 Lightweight winner of The Ultimate Fighter.
- Lytle defeated Burns via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28).
- Wilks defeated Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:52 of round 1 to become the Season 9 Welterweight winner of The Ultimate Fighter.
- Sanchez defeated Guida via split decision (28–29, 29–27, 29–28). The fight went on to become Fight of the Year.
Fighters were awarded $25,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida, Joe Stevenson vs. Nate Diaz and Chris Lytle vs. Kevin Burns
- Knockout of the Night: Tomasz Drwal
- Submission of the Night: Jason Dent
Diego Sanchez – $90,000 ($45,000 win bonus)
Joe Stevenson – $70,000 ($35,000 win bonus)
Chris Lytle – $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus)
Melvin Guillard – $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus)
Clay Guida – $23,000
Nate Diaz – $20,000
Brad Blackburn – $18,000 ($9,000 win bonus)
Gleison Tibau – $17,000
James Wilks – $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Ross Pearson – $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Nick Osipczak – $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Jason Dent – $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Tomasz Drwal – $15,600 ($7,000 win bonus)
Kevin Burns – $9,000
Damarques Johnson – $8,000
Andre Winner – $8,000
Cameron Dollar – $8,000
Mike Ciesnolevicz – $6,400
Edgar Garcia – $5,000
- "The Ultimate Fighter Team US vs Team UK FINALE". Ufc.com. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale nabs 2,217 attendees for a $500K gate". mmajunkie.com. June 29, 2009.
- Morgan, John (April 1, 2009). "Melvin Guillard vs. Thiago Tavares set for The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved April 1, 2009.
- "Tavares Withdraws From TUF 9 Finale Bout Against Guillard Due To Elbow Injury". MMAFrenzy.com. 2008-09-20. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Morgan, John. "Gleison Tibau replaces Thiago Tavares at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Stupp, Dann. "Eric Schafer injured, replaced by Mike Ciesnolevicz at June's TUF9 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Anthony Johnson injures knee; Withdraws from TUF 9 Finale fight against Matt Brown". Mmamania.com. Retrieved 2009-05-19.
- Morgan, John. "With Anthony Johnson out of TUF 9 Finale, Matt Brown follows suit". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- Stupp, Dann. "Melvin Guillard, Brad Blackburn earn baffling split-decision wins in TUF 9 Finale prelims". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-06-21.